38 replies to this topic

#1 Eng

Eng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

Was wondering whether which balls come close to the feel of Titleist Pro V1 that won't *ahem* break the bank. The old Precept "Lady" use to come close but recent models are rock hard. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 mma001

mma001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:27 AM

no ball comes close. They're the best for a reason.

#3 Didntquitecatchit

Didntquitecatchit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2565 posts
  • LocationMelbourne City

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Penta. Z star is good too

#4 PingVision

PingVision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Srixon Z star, better imo

#5 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

They’re the best for a reason.
in your opionin, higest seller cos all the wrong peolpe use them, i hit a ProV1X with a full 56 deg wedge to a wet yarra bend green yesterday, spun back 7 metres, fkucn stupid spin rate

#6 FATTIGER

FATTIGER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

I don't mind the Taylor made TP red or Black. I find the Pro V's scuff up to much.

#7 tigertuff

tigertuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

in terms of softness bridgestone rx300 and is easier to compress for slower SS. doesnt spin as much but does what i need and stops on a dime also probably the best value ball is a wilson staff zip (cheap but very soft 3 piece ball)

#8 Didntquitecatchit

Didntquitecatchit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2565 posts
  • LocationMelbourne City

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:56 PM

They’re the best for a reason.

in your opionin,
higest seller cos all the wrong peolpe use them,
i hit a ProV1X with a full 56 deg wedge to a wet yarra bend green yesterday,
spun back 7 metres,
fkucn stupid spin rate

January 2010 – 12.6
February 2010 – 12.7
March 2010 – 12.5
April 2010 – 14.3 (new)
May 2010 – 13.9
June 2010 – 13.2
July 2010 – 13.6
Aug 2010 – 13.6
Sept 2010 – 13.3

Surprised it didnt spin back even more in those conditions?

#9 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:07 AM

was an extreme case considering balls were plugging on most fairways and greens,

#10 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6784 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

I often wonder why there are so many different types of golf balls on the market. There are harder ones, softer ones, coloured ones, distances ones, spinnier ones, two, three, four or five piece ones. Ones for seniors, ladies, budget conscious and budget-blessed. Why is this so? Oh yeah, because golfers are so different and handicap is not a guide because golf is all about numbers, not pictures. So, I guess that would mean that there are golf balls appropriate to various types of golfers. IN MY VIEW the provvy is for the better golfer - high swing speed that repeats, connects the ball in the same place of the swing each time. That would be why it is the most popular ball in the pro-tours. But let us not forget that the Precept Laddie came to the forefront of the market because of a popular takeup on the Canadian and Nationwide (Hooters then) tours. So, sorry, in my view, the provvy is not the best ball. I actually believe that there are lots and lots and lots and lots of golfers that do themselves a big disservice by insisting on playing the top flight balls, provvy included. The best ball is the one that works for your swing - speed and style. I did a lot of experimenting when I was young(er) and I continue to do so now - the only difference is I'm playing ON the grass.

#11 CB80

CB80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4933 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

The question which is best ball is same question as which is best wine, best beer, best car, best putter, best pub, best driver best this best that.. .......list goes on.. all are peoples perceptions and opinions....ask 100 people get different answers ...everyone is right... ENg you should look at hitting a range of balls, if you want a soft feel ball then precept lady i 180 clear is a very soft ball but what i call soft for my swing will be different to what NWABP calls soft and different again to what Kiwi calls soft and everyone on site can tell you other balls all right ...cause as said before we all swing differently. Also Eng you might want to consider evaluating Vision range of balls, there are lots of happy golfers on this forum site already using them... NWABP fully agree with your comments. the best ball Eng for you is the one that works for you and your swing speed.and type of courses you play.(forget the advertising stuff , every ball claims good distance spin and control)..... , I see no benefit out of playing a Provvy on winter greens where ball stops anyway,.. in case experienced by Kiwi it spun back and cost him a shot.. the greens are wooly bumpy and soft so dont need these features in a ball... at moment a pinnacle exception stops just as well on green and putts better cause of the hard feel.. also Eng you might want to consider changing ball to suit course you are playing... if on a long course might want a longer ball to get a bit more distance..., if tight course go for less distance but control with less spin... if on a hard greens then want soft feel on landing.. hope all the comments help in your ball search.

#12 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC COC ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3047 posts
  • LocationIn the garage grinding the grooves of my irons!!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

and if on a course with lots of crows, dont use yellow balls!!!

#13 Chop Chop

Chop Chop

Massive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6995 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

I don’t hit the ball consistently enough to really gauge a difference between balls or to say that one suits my game over another, however to make it simple for myself I put balls into 3 categories: Tour Performance = Pro V, Callaway I (s,x and z models) and Srixon Zstars. Bridgestone make a tour ball as well. General Balls = Titliest NXT, Bridgestone E series etc Rocks = Srixon Distance, Pinnacle etc, basically any two piece ball. There are of course many other brands but these are the main ones that I bother with as the rest will fall into one of these groups. In relation to your question, I think there is probably no ball that will feel like a Pro V when putting. To me it is the one ball that feels very soft off the putter but the Callaway I series, Srixon Z Stars etc feel the same as a Pro V for all other shots.

#14 Eng

Eng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thanks all for your valuable input. I've tried switching away from the Pro V1 for a while now because its so darn expensive but its feel and performance cannot be ignored. So i tend to reserve them for competition days. I agree that you should pick the golf ball for your swing. Unfortunately Pro V1 suits me really well (nice feel, good distance, reliable ball flight, one bounce stop). I thought i get some opinion on the forum here to get some idea of cheaper balls that have the "soft feel" i like, buy some sleeves and try them out. Thanks all.

#15 Eng

Eng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

Gonna try Srixon Z Star, Bridgestone Rx330. Where can i get Vision ball. In terms of the key characteristic of the ball i require on the course i play which is Yarra Valley Country Club ( it has lots of elevated greens), I need the ball to almost drop and stop on the green.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users