#1 Ari

Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Booked a round of golf at Portsea for myself and dad for Thursday 16th September. Looked on the web site and noticed they cored the greens 6th September. Is this too early to play. Would we be better waiting longer before playing? How long do you normally give the greens to recover? Thanks in advance for you replies

#2 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

It will probably take at least a month for the greens to be completely recovered and back to normal. If you can't play somewhere else on the same day i'd still play them though. Golf on cored greens is better then no golf.

#3 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

ten days after coring they should be almost back to full coverage of grass, but slow.

#4 Ari

Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Thanks guys. Might postpone a week or two. It's my fathers day present to my dad so want it to be a good day. I know he'll enjoy the course as he's never played it. Different challenge to the dunes or eagle ridge where we normally play.

#5 Trjs

Trjs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

Played Brighton on Sunday. They had cored the greens 4 weeks earlier I believe. Greens were in good shape but slow slow slow.

#6 MickelsonsMob

MickelsonsMob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

We cored our greens at Tooleybuc on Mon/Tues. Will probably get the mower on them early next week. It's all relative to when greens return to their ideal condition. Time of the year, recent fertilizer programs, day and night temps, condition/health prior to coring etc etc. I had to laugh on Monday when we cored them. I was going around the course moving the cores to the edge of the greens and I came across 2 blokes on one of the greens trying to putt over the cores. One of them holes out, turns to me and says "28"!!! MM

#7 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8124 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

putts or points?

#8 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:01 AM

Booked a round of golf at Portsea for myself and dad for Thursday 16th September. Looked on the web site and noticed they cored the greens 6th September. Is this too early to play. Would we be better waiting longer before playing? How long do you normally give the greens to recover? Thanks in advance for you replies

Ari So ? How was Portsea ?

#9 Ari

Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:09 AM

After the replies changed date to this Friday to allow another week. Will let you know.

#10 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:40 AM

Cored our club greens on Monday, started playing on them Wednesday. Bouncing balls, uneven lie and run, pace all over the place but still better than no golf at all. Also a good way to read the pace difference as they recover from the coring. I believe it is going to help my game in fact this season. With the club championships started it is a great opportunity to get my putting sharpened up to peak in a couple of wweeks.

#11 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

Back to the topic heading, never play cored greens for at least 2 weeks after coring. My club has it scheduled for the first Monday in September each year when the course is closed for the day. It screws your putting up for a good couple of months if you do when you have to bash putts you normally stroke. I go on holiday to Qld and play courses that have not been cored.

#12 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

what about verti draining? when can you play these?

#13 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

Immediately

#14 Ari

Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

The greens were good. A little slow but rolled true and not bumpy. Course was in lovely condition. Nice dry firm fairways.

#15 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36002 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

The greens were good. A little slow but rolled true and not bumpy. Course was in lovely condition. Nice dry firm fairways.

Yah! Roll on October 11.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users