#1 Yarmunt

Yarmunt

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7741 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

Just cut down my UST proforce shaft from 45 to 44 inches in a Callaway FT 5. Took it out for a hit without any swing weight checks or adjustments, and murdered it. Is it the usual mind f#*k that is golf, or can 1 inch change your accuracy for middling the club face that much?

#2 GSP

GSP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

any loss of distance?

#3 CT1982

CT1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

You might find that cutting down the length will make you find the sweet spot more allowing you better accuracy and more distance

#4 Yarmunt

Yarmunt

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7741 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Zero loss of Distance. If anything, a bit more. Not going to give a figure to avoid ridicule or otherwise, but they were out there. The couple I missed (fade to slice) didn't miss by much. Checked the marks on the driver, and they were all either dead centre, or a little towrads the toe.

#5 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2340 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Everything that I have read says a shorter driver equals more consistant hits off the sweet spot so more distance and accuracy.

#6 oldmannoodles

oldmannoodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I cut 1.5 inches off my driver and just over an inch off my 3 wood - this gets them back to what should be standard. In the quest to produce (and own) the longest driver, recent "standard" club lengths have become ridiculous. When you struggle to find the sweetspot because you're feet are in a different suburb from your ball, you may as well be using persimmon.

#7 Yarmunt

Yarmunt

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7741 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

The feet from ball thing is true. I tested a couple of new drivers recently, one with 46 inch shaft. My feet were miles away, and what was probably the worst thing was not so much middle contact on the face, but the change in swing plane. It became too shallow, and a draw turned into a pull hook. My technique may be partly or totally responsible, but the long shafts felt very uncomfortable. And all this light weight stuff. I don't get it. I demoed a Cleveland DST Launcher, and it had something like a 44 gm, 45.75 inch shaft. It felt ridiculous, and i couldn't get any feel out of it. Stuff the expence, I'll get mine built from scratch from now on, I think.

#8 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

yarn: in Golf School you will find an article on driver lengths and finding the middle.

#9 GourmetSaint

GourmetSaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Shortening the club raises the lie angle of the club if your stance is unchanged. If your lie angle is too high, you are more likely to hit on the inside of the sweetspot.

#10 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

irons an issue : drivers and woods the lie is not as important.

#11 BennyMcGwire

BennyMcGwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

In Tom Wishon's book "The search for the perfect golf club" he states that a driver length shaft of only 45" is too long for over 90% of golfers. Also, he says that Tiger Woods (and this was before he started to find other pursuits) only uses a 43.5 inch shaft and that the average shaft length on the PGA tour is only 44.5"...So why is it that us mugs are forced to buy drivers now with 46" shafts? I cut my Cleveland XLS down to 43.5" after reading Tom Wishon's book and have never hit it Longer and Straighter.

#12 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3724 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Shortening the club raises the lie angle of the club if your stance is unchanged. If your lie angle is too high, you are more likely to hit on the inside of the sweetspot.

Mark T

What about those who choke down on the grip (like me)? I haven't found any hitting on the inside of the sweetspot.

#13 NeverEagle

NeverEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

yarn: in Golf School you will find an article on driver lengths and finding the middle.

Light bulb moment Guru. Have been gripping down on the driver recently and have had some better than average driving days. The humble rubber band is the answer to getting the grip down consistent shot after shot. Even better I don't have to get golf specific rubber bands so they aren't going to cost $15 each.

#14 NeverEagle

NeverEagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

The light bulb worked. Only missed 3 fairways all day only one was in the brown steaming stuff the other 2 first cut. Could have sold the golf specific rubber bands to 2 of the other guys in the group for a fortune.

#15 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12776 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

A number of those internet based golf 'experts' who all flog their own version of a perfect golf swing, also recommend drivers should not exceed 44" unless you are abnormally tall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users