23 replies to this topic

#1 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I must be getting old. The morning after (a round of golf) I am usually stiff as a board, especially in the lower back region, and am jack of it. Does anyone have a proven way to warm down to both stop this side-effect and also improve the future outcomes.

#2 ScottyG88

ScottyG88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Beer..... Drink enough of it and your head will hurt so much you forget about the rest of your body.

#3 GottaStartSomewhere

GottaStartSomewhere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

Try stretching before and after. If that fails anti-inflam tablets.

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13254 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

You could try http://www.peakperfo...egolfswing.com/ Don Trahan claims his limited-turn system will prevent back injuries, etc.

#5 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

ok as I enter that 40 range i get stiff and sore also..... get fitter...its that simple...bike riding is excellent....its way better than running for plus 40 people also a few laps in the pool doesn't hurt either riding and swimming increase VO2 max (oxygen in your system)...the swimming will add flexibility also and toning of your muscles.... golf itself doesn't actually really do allot for fitness unless you played 18 holes 3 times a week or more...even then its minimal...why because its very stop start and doesn't get your heart rate high enough for long enough to a lot of benefit..... I started rising 3 months ago and have shot better scores because of it...physical fitness assists mental application

#6 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1991 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

Try Nutrafin or Voltaren, works wonders. Not to be used on a regular basis though.

#7 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:15 AM

You could try http://www.peakperformanceg...
Don Trahan claims his limited-turn system will prevent back injuries, etc.

Bogey golfer – always tinkering
Computer nerd – always tinkering

Also have a look at www.purepointgolf.com/intro.htm. This is an intro to "the Simple Golf Swing" which also has a smaller hip rotation and reduced back swing and is therefore much easier on the back. I'm currently trialling this new swing and so far it looks promising. Had 41 points in the pro comp yesterday so I'm very pleased and excited. Agree with Gottastart, stretching before AND after is important. Also, I started swimming most mornings about a year ago and find it has helped heaps with my flexibility. My back feels much better after a game now. Try to use the drugs as a last resort as they can cause complications. Good luck with it all.

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20454 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:00 AM

The correction of poor biomechanics via PST will give you a swing that works the way your body is meant to work. Bio thought he'd never play golf again after being crushed in a car accident. You are trained to turn around your spine so it doesn't get bent and twisted - which is what causes back damage. Bio has always said to me that his purpose is both to improve ball striking and the health of the athlete.

#9 sb944

sb944

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

golf itself doesn’t actually really do allot for fitness unless you played 18 holes 3 times a week or more…even then its minimal…why because its very stop start and doesn’t get your heart rate high enough for long enough to a lot of benefit…..

I've dropped a few kilos and toned up a tonne practicing golf, even though I've been eating and drinking as much as ever. I'd think it's important to build up important muscles by practicing properly, otherwise all sorts of injuries are obviously very possible. How do you do that? Well a trained pro "should" be able to help you I guess.

#10 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3542 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

personally I dont believe in reaching for the anti inflammatorys like their MMs. agree with above comments, more exercise bw rounds and some stretches before and after and if all else fails...Get a dog, great to force you out for a regular walk...that's gotta be good for you

#11 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2835 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

I thought, as you get older, waking up stiff would be a bonus

#12 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

I get pretty sore when I attempt to use a power I can't handle. Unfortunately I realize it after the round and wake up stiff....and I don't mean in the way mugcanic is talking about ...God bless him. The next time I play I work on Rhythm and Balance and realize what an idiot I have been looking for power in all the wrong places. As a warm up I use a slow motion swing focusing on pivoting around my spine. It is similar to one of Chris Welch's drill (Bio's man) except I have a club in my hands. I may have to sacrifice some distance on the first few holes but soon enough the flow just comes and pow I'm back to hitting long and straight with effortless power. It doesn't mean that I can maintain it because that little ***hole inside says, "Go ahead kid hit it the big one." And the big ***hole says, "Yeah, why not?" Ibuprophen companies love me.

#13 kym1387

kym1387

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

Theres always the gofer..with a basket on the front..and dont forget the 2 metre flag on the back..

#14 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3542 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

I thought, as you get older, waking up stiff would be a bonus

very good mug, I'll pay that

#15 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced Member