21 replies to this topic

#1 Eagleton

Eagleton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2699 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

I was looking at a golf site for alternative golf and discovered that one models face goes down to 4 degrees.Has anyone here ever tried a driver with such a small loft?Also,wouldn't it be almost impossible to control and I would imagine it would stay very low.

#2 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:22 AM

I was looking at a golf site for alternative golf and discovered that one models face goes down to 4 degrees.Has anyone here ever tried a driver with such a small loft?Also,wouldn’t it be almost to control and I would imagine it would stay very low.

Cinderella story.A former greenskeeper,now,about to become the masters
champion.It looks like a mirac…. It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i use 9 deg, same diff

#3 aldwines

aldwines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

yeah i have seen a couple of 'Dutters' before, both have been by cobra and built for the pinnacle long drive team

#4 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:05 AM

I was looking at a golf site for alternative golf and discovered that one models face goes down to 4 degrees.Has anyone here ever tried a driver with such a small loft?

Isn't that called a putter?

#5 GoinPro

GoinPro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

I was looking at a golf site for alternative golf and discovered that one models face goes down to 4 degrees.Has anyone here ever tried a driver with such a small loft?Also,wouldn’t it be almost to control and I would imagine it would stay very low.

Cinderella story.A former greenskeeper,now,about to become the masters
champion.It looks like a mirac…. It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!It’s in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i use 9 deg, same diff

how, could that possibly be, same diff? The four degree loft difference between my driver and 3 wood make about 30 0r 40 m difference, surely 4deg to 9 deg would make a diff.

#6 ocat1979

ocat1979

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

I remember a few years back playing pennant against a guy who had a 6 degree taylor made. He hit a few bad duck hooks with it, but when he flushed one it went like a bullet, not a super low trajectory though, but i noticed he was getting so much more roll on the ball after it landed obviously from the low spin rate a 6 degree driver would produce

#7 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Long drive competitors use those sorts of lofts. You need a pretty fast swing speed to get them in the air. Played with a young low marker yesterday that was using a 6 degree driver and hitting it a mile (best was measured 320m! but wind assisted). He hit it quite high as well. But he also sprayed it a bit.

#8 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

SMT make a 4 degree.....these drivers won about 4 or 5 world long drive championships....you can buy a head for about US$145

#9 Placegetter

Placegetter

Here for my own entertainment.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2879 posts
  • Location17.04 warning points.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

i noticed he was getting so much more roll on the ball after it landed obviously from the low spin rate a 6 degree driver would produce

Can you help me understand why the lower loft produces a lower spin rate?

#10 Eagleton

Eagleton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2699 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

Less loft ,less underspin.The more loft ,the more spin.

#11 Placegetter

Placegetter

Here for my own entertainment.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2879 posts
  • Location17.04 warning points.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:21 AM

Thanks Eagleton. It certainly makes sense, although I now have to ask my mate how the hell he hits his 58 degree Vokey with top spin. Must be a fine art.

#12 jarrod07au

jarrod07au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Eagleton. It certainly makes sense, although I now have to ask my mate how the hell he hits his 58 degree Vokey with top spin. Must be a fine art.

…

Not having a go, and you probably know this, but unless your reffering to topping the ball into the ground then it impossible to hit topspin. Sometimes players hit a ball and it looks like a top spin lob in tennis, has that real coming down quickly shape about it. The ball does not have topspin, but just a very low back spin rate, so falls much faster. Often see them hit out of thick grass.

#13 GunnerGolf

GunnerGolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Who was the forum member who got in to the long drive comps? Are they still around?

#14 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2726 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Who was the forum member who got in to the long drive comps? Are they still around?

I was lying 10 and had a 35 foot putt. I whispered over my shoulder: “How does this one break?” And my caddie said, “Who cares?” – Jack Lemmon

At Dave_1's club...and I think he uses a 4 degree SMT

#15 Eagleton

Eagleton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2699 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

4 degree SMT is the club I came across at Alternative golf.I would love to see Curly Quinn , Rockatansky or Armygolf hit one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users