72 replies to this topic

#16 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

2. Royal Queensland – I never got to play the old course but Mike Clayton’s redeign is awesome on a boring piece of land. Wide open with heaps of options of the tee but all about the right angles into the greens if you want to score. Wind plays havoc as well and the green complexes are again great.
I was lucky enough to have a round at RQ recently and I have to completely agree with your comments BuggeraCup. Great course on one of the flatest pieces of land you will find. The green complexes were just incredible. And the bunkering and waste bunkers were superb. I would rate it just above Brookie, which I love, but that may just be the after glow ;) Would love to join RQ, we had the course pretty much to ourselves!. Playing Coolum next weekend and really looking forward to it as well.

#17 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Brookwater is the top ranked course in QLD followed by Royal QLD. Surprised though that there was no room for Pacific Harbour within the top 50. Also a couple of my ‘also rans’ rate quite highly on this list.
I would definitely rate Pacific Harbour ahead of Club Pelican.

#18 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

2. Royal Queensland – I never got to play the old course but Mike Clayton’s redeign is awesome on a boring piece of land. Wide open with heaps of options of the tee but all about the right angles into the greens if you want to score. Wind plays havoc as well and the green complexes are again great.

I was lucky enough to have a round at RQ recently and I have to completely agree with your comments BuggeraCup. Great course on one of the flatest pieces of land you will find. The green complexes were just incredible. And the bunkering and waste bunkers were superb. I would rate it just above Brookie, which I love, but that may just be the after glow ;) Would love to join RQ, we had the course pretty much to ourselves!.

Playing Coolum next weekend and really looking forward to it as well.

BBtB

Ho’ing Vision UVs since 2008:)

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

http://www.redlandbaygolf.c...

I have not played RQ a heap of times but I get the impression that it is the type of course that would continue to challenge and be fun to play the more times you played it. There are many options off each tee and the ideal lines are dependent on the days pin location. Great course on a boring piece of property. I probably still rate Brookwater just ahead although RQ might be one of those courses that just keeps growing on you. Can't wait to get back to QLD and get back into playing these beauties!
  • Owenzy likes this

#19 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

Brookwater is the top ranked course in QLD followed by Royal QLD. Surprised though that there was no room for Pacific Harbour within the top 50. Also a couple of my ‘also rans’ rate quite highly on this list.

I would definitely rate Pacific Harbour ahead of Club Pelican.

BBtB

Ho’ing Vision UVs since 2008:)

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

http://www.redlandbaygolf.c...

I agree mate.

#20 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3314 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

I haven't played all of the courses in your list mate and its horses for courses as always. I wouldn't mind adding The Brisbane into my list, although it is private, probably second to RQ. Pac Harb in 3rd and Glades and Brookwater rounding out the 5. One course I haven't played (yet) is Arundel Hills. I have ONLY heard GREAT things about it. Club pelican is way overrated for mine and Twin Waters had just been cored so I wont comment until I get a chance to play it again. Noosa Springs rarely gets mentioned in these types of conversations, but I really enjoyed it. Finally, Bribie Island for $30 or so a round is the greatest value in AUSTRALIA.

#21 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

I haven’t played all of the courses in your list mate and its horses for courses as always. I wouldn’t mind adding The Brisbane into my list, although it is private, probably second to RQ. Pac Harb in 3rd and Glades and Brookwater rounding out the 5.

One course I haven’t played (yet) is Arundel Hills. I have ONLY heard GREAT things about it.

Club pelican is way overrated for mine and Twin Waters had just been cored so I wont comment until I get a chance to play it again.

Noosa Springs rarely gets mentioned in these types of conversations, but I really enjoyed it.

Finally, Bribie Island for $30 or so a round is the greatest value in AUSTRALIA.

I have never really rated Brisbane Golf Club that highly really. I have only played it three times but I find there are too many just average holes and none that were really memorable enough to stick in your mind forever. That being said every time I played it the greens were in superb condition and some of the best I have ever had the opportunity to putt on. Arundel Hills is well worth the effort to get on if you can. It comes across as a bit snobbish but the course is very good. It's tough though off the longer markers. Noosa Springs is very enjoyable and is not too tough with lots of room of the tee and around most of the greens for all level of players. I found there are a couple of holes out there that feel very similar - 9 and 10 I think come to mind. As with all course on the Gold and Sunny Coast though, the condition is always immaculate and can't be faulted.

#22 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

I haven’t played all of the courses in your list mate and its horses for courses as always. I wouldn’t mind adding The Brisbane into my list, although it is private, probably second to RQ. Pac Harb in 3rd and Glades and Brookwater rounding out the 5.

One course I haven’t played (yet) is Arundel Hills. I have ONLY heard GREAT things about it.

Club pelican is way overrated for mine and Twin Waters had just been cored so I wont comment until I get a chance to play it again.

Noosa Springs rarely gets mentioned in these types of conversations, but I really enjoyed it.

Finally, Bribie Island for $30 or so a round is the greatest value in AUSTRALIA.

I have never really rated Brisbane Golf Club that highly really. I have only played it three times but I find there are too many just average holes and none that were really memorable enough to stick in your mind forever. That being said every time I played it the greens were in superb condition and some of the best I have ever had the opportunity to putt on.

Arundel Hills is well worth the effort to get on if you can. It comes across as a bit snobbish but the course is very good. It’s tough though off the longer markers.

Noosa Springs is very enjoyable and is not too tough with lots of room of the tee and around most of the greens for all level of players. I found there are a couple of holes out there that feel very similar – 9 and 10 I think come to mind. As with all course on the Gold and Sunny Coast though, the condition is always immaculate and can’t be faulted.

Placegetter, I'm also surprised that Brookwater only comes in at number 5 on your QLD list though. Anything in particular that forces it that low on your list for you?

#23 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3314 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

Placegetter, I’m also surprised that Brookwater only comes in at number 5 on your QLD list though. Anything in particular that forces it that low on your list for you?

Good question, I have only played Brookwater twice and both were shocking experiences, but totally unrelated to the actual course itself. If I were to go there again with a "let's appreciate this" hat on, it is quite possible it would move up for sure. I haven't been able to truly appreciate course architecture until recently so for mine the top 5 are splitting hairs anyway. 5 isn't low, it is daylight from about 8 (Robina Woods, Noosa Springs, Hope Island) to the rest.

#24 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ok

#25 Gilbert Grape

Gilbert Grape

Hacked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4422 posts
  • LocationSunny Gold Coast, circa 1988

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

The original post for this thread was back in 2009.

Interested to know what QLD's top ten courses would be now?

From what I have read/seen many of them have lost their prestige and some have undergone changes to their layouts etc (Brookwater).

• Mr_C and Owenzy like this

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#26 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38543 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

I wonder if Buggeracup had played Hamilton Island? I'd rate it highly myself, and not just for the views.

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#27 Owenzy

Owenzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

1. RQ

2. Brookie

3. Hamo IS

.Top 3 very diverse

.The rest are resort style golf, American 1980-90 designs for the Asian market. Still fun but built for the housing estates to go with them.

4. Sanctuary Cove

5. Hope Is

• blindman likes this

#28 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6452 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'd put pac harbour in front of the cove and hope Island.

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

#29 Gilbert Grape

Gilbert Grape

Hacked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4422 posts
  • LocationSunny Gold Coast, circa 1988

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

I'd put pac harbour in front of the cove and hope Island.

Helps to have a day out there also eh ;)
  • Li Ning likes this

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#30 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6452 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

Helps to have a day out there also eh ;)

It does but I've always enjoyed it. Great layout that tests every club in your bag. Always feels like you're playing into the wind there as well.
  • Li Ning likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=4070706250

Southbound       

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users