38 replies to this topic

#1 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

Hi guys, Just been skimming through NLTurn's thread on 'whats good in the archives' and noticed him talking about taking the left side of the course out of play. After a few weeks of flushing some glorious shots well left of target, I'm interested in the theory behind this. Would someone take the time to explain? Or perhaps point me in the direction of an archive?

#2 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

Depends if you are an unhappy hooker.

#3 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

Nah, they're mostly pulls. And when I try to play a draw it starts too straight. I am happy (for the pitching and chipping practise) but left (and often long) often = dead. :( Been tinkering a little bit but can't work it out. Don't miss it too bad in front of my coach; he says my plane is fine. I am intrigued about the idea of taking this out of play, standing over the ball and knowing well, at least it won't go left

#4 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:16 AM

Likely that the long left and dead is a bent plane line from the top - ie the entire machine just turned left and then you delivered a good stroke down that slightly OTT line.

#5 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

Thanks guru will re-check my alignment. I've been wondering if my right elbow has been flying around, but I haven't had a chance to do the old 'towel under the arm' drill. Is this 'taking the left side out of play' business to do with hooks, flipping hands, etc??

#6 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

Is this what Craig Parry did?

#7 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

The alignment you need to check is the dynamic impact one, as opposed to your set up. Towel under the right arm pit is not a good drill. It kills extensor action and can encourage a bent left arm.

#8 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

Dynamic impact - is this checking my alignment at impact? (With video?). Hit a bag of balls this morning. I did do the towel drill a few times - I understand what you mean by encouraging a bent left arm. But I want to sync my arms and body. My pull problem I think is a symptom of OTT, for me an ongoing issue. I've been working on and off on trying to stop the hips firing early, but this morning I focussed more on my torso and arms rotating together (and forgetting about the hips). This seemed to straighten it out somewhat. My concern is that because this spin out is so ingrained, when it comes to playing on Saturday my body will forget (again). Any suggestions for a drill that will help square my torso, shoulders and arms at impact? Movement suggested hitting fairway shots out of bunkers a few weeks ago, and i found this an excellent remedy to stop OTT, but I can't often get to the course mid-week to practice this one. cheers trebor Always grateful for your input

#9 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

Good input there. A strong mental image sometimes help. The geometry of most clubs swings is that the ball is both behind and INSIDE the low point that the hand/shaft/clubhead reaches PAST the ball. ie knowing down and OUT will often relieve some of the over rotation that causes a bent (OTT) plane line delivery. At the range next time out, put a few bits of pulled grass or something about an inch in front as well out to the side of the ball. Look at that pile and not the ball. Hit the pile. This little distraction will often help you stay on plane (a visual inside out swingpath) just long enough not to deliver on the pull plane line. If that works then try the same thing on course, just looking at a point on the ground when the wheels wobble. Movements idea is great.

#10 ScottyG88

ScottyG88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

This is a similar drill to what I have done to great affect. Even on the course, just concentrate on a spot that is past and outside the ball and try and hit that - not only does it help with plane, it also stops you anticipating impact, and therefore swinging through the ball better. In fact, next time I have problems during a game I have to remember my own tip!

#11 ScottyG88

ScottyG88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

And another version of this drill is using two tees, one outside and behind the ball, one inside and in front (ie on the out to in swing path). Make sure you hit the ball but miss the tees and you are guaranteed to be going inside to out! Then you only have to worry about pushes and not pulls.

#12 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Scotty: thanks for the second drill. Man I can relate the your comment about remembering it out on course. Walking the course with clients when they duff one I can just give them the look and how often I have heard "Doh, I was looking at the stupid ball again." It really surprises students how good they can swing through the impact zone without even looking at the ball.

#13 treborflog

treborflog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:36 AM

thanks guys, thanks for the reminder that a strong mental image helps... These drills sound radical but absolutely will give them a go.

#14 rollshisrock

rollshisrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

A few years back i took the left side of the course out of play with great success, the added confidence of being able to aim down the left side of the fairway and know it wasnt going to go left was very beneficial to my game. The only thing me and my coach worked on for about 18 months was from the top of my swing to get the feeling of pulling my left hand across my left thigh, it took me a few bags of balls to get used to the feeling but once i started to get my shots to the shape i wanted it was quite easy to do.

#15 ScottyG88

ScottyG88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

So, rolls, I guess you don't play a draw if you are able to hit so confidently down the left side? I've gotten rid of most of my pulled shots, however it sometimes still occurs with the hybrid, or strangely with the short irons pw-8, but I also still draw the ball off the tee, so can't really aim down the left side confidently just yet. I might have to try and develop a go to tee shot that is a fade starting left side of fairway. Something to work on during the xmas holidays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users