8 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:31 AM

Recently I have been having trouble automatically getting my left side firm at impact. With that there is also a tendency to sway to the left. I am right-handed. Are there any standard drills to get the correct position ingrained?

#2 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:50 AM

This is either too easy or too hard. I guess too easy. I hope someone notices, soon.

#3 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

Languid, Sorry mate. It is too hard and the word and concept is awkward. We teach position golf only to learners. The rest of it is motion with some alignments in mind. Why don't you go through the positions you want then speed them up or use an impact bag or patch of heavy grass or practice cutting down trees. All these action fairly duplicate the power production of a golf swing/hit. You could go to impact then turn everything to the finish together. Our normal process is to teach the loading storage and release of the hands and arms that then causes the body to behave in a helpful manner at first - then causative. Hoping this gives some food for thought.

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thanks, I have an impact bag ...not used for quite a while. I'll start with that.

#5 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hi languid, The impact bag is a great place to start but, like Dart said, it is too hard and the concept is awkward. That being said, I think it would be important to be able to define a "firm left side". So, where to start? I have found a lot of success whith students who come to terms, first, with the Flat Left Wrist (FLW) position/definition. Second, choosing a force of either pulling or pushing to "create" the FLW during small movements, say a chip shot and/or impact bag. Once that is understood then the idea of pressure can be introduced and its effect from the ground up (even in these small shots). There is a lot going on when it comes to a truly firm left side but its nice to have a place to start...FLW allows us to move up the chain. Without it everything else is a waste of time....imho.

#6 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Spike, That is helpful.

#7 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thank you, Uncle Paul. Sometimes I get on a kick where so much can be learned from the smallest bit of information. There are four pressure points and three of them are in the hands so why not start there...from start to finish. What good are they? What do they do? Where do they go? How do they get there? Investigate...look, Look, LOOK, not to mention...feel, Feel, FEEL. I know its all been said here a bunch of times and it is easy to dismiss their true value. Many of the threads here have moved upward and onward to a super high level so much so that I think we forget the little stuff. The stuff that allows us to get to that higher understanding. I just got back into playing some golf (3 month back injury) and found myself shooting a crummy 42 on the front nine. I couldn't believe my putting could be soooo bad, really. Before teeing off on the 10th I grabbed my putter and a ball, I looked at the way i had been setting up and bingo...PP #3 sucked! I shot 35 on the back. Oh, btw, I loaned a student my driver for a tournament so I only had my 3 wood for tee shots. If it weren't for the principles of TGM, your guidence and other great instructors like we have here (sad to say some are gone) I wouldn't be able to live stories like this. Its not me... its just great information!

#8 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

I agree Spike, We keep looking for complex answers but it the simple things that have been neglected or underdeveloped that cause the trouble.

#9 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1289 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:04 AM

Thanks guys. Here's some progress notes. I did little with the Impact bag. I found that I could consciously get a better strike and a good left side position by rehearsing before the stroke and using a swing thought about how the swing ought to look. This helped some of the time. But it was not automatic and I still hit some shockers. A good start on the downswing seemed to be a very positive element. In one of the threads one of the contributors mentioned something along the lines of starting the downswing thinking about his right shoulder moving towards his left foot. I think it read a bit like that. I also tried to stand a little more erect with less flex in the left knee at the address position. I must mention that I have some lower back issues and I was "protecting" my back for a while...could have developed a bad habit.I guess. A short practice session was terrific but harder to emulate on the course...sloping lies, distractions and so on. Thanks. Separately I will raise the subject of getting the flat left wrist position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users