#1 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ok, so I thought I'd join the list of those that have their very own thread telling of my journey. Brief history; Played VERY rarely over the years, always just for fun. Got the bug last year after not touching clubs for more than 5 years. Joined a club in November deciding to get a handicap and go from there. Been hanging here a few months gaining insights into TGM, clearkeys and other approaches. Hooked up with Bio after reading his posts and have been doing my PST's for about a month. I love this stuff, not only does it fix so many movement issues, but I don't have to be overly analytical, and my back doesn't hurt after 18 now. Also working on my chipping ala Darts chipping drills every other day. At this stage I have no wild claims of goals to reach though braking 80 would of course be nice. Personal best for 9 is 2 over, 18 is 10 over (on easier courses, not that golf is ever easy) HC is 17 and although it hasn't dropped my ball striking is much improved. Been in FNQ and played Tully (44 and 86; 30 putts) El Arish (84) and Port Douglas links (89 off white tees, with 39 putts) this week to give an idea of where I'm at. Head back to Melbourne tomorrow so into comp on Saturday morning feeling ready. I believe my biggest issue (apart from my swing) is lack of experience at the game, ie; I fall apart when I start counting my score! This also results in bad decision making, when to lay up, go for it etc, and I start steering then too instead of just lining up and hitting the thing!. It's usually just 2 or 3 holes that ruin what could be a great round. So, for starters, I aim to play smarter golf playing to my strengths, not being a hero, play 18 with no triple or maybe even double bogey. I'll let you all know how I go.
  • Stinkler likes this

#2 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18529 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

You're starting from a good base stinkler. We'll have to keep in touch about how the PST is going. Is Dart's chipping drill 2 metres to a magazine until you hit it 10 times in a row? BTW - jealous of how much golf you've played this week! drop me a line on brendanwheatley71 AT gmail DOT com After only one months with PST, how are you finding your confidence in your full swing? Are you able to just swing away on the course or are you still thinking about it because you're still figuring out whether the swing will work? Also, have you noticed any significant changes to your swing?

#3 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Weetbix, my full swing confidence is far greater and no, I don't think about it. My swing is great when I don't think, when I do is because I'm trying to do something, that's when I steer or quit or generally **** up. I fall back into my old swing occasionally and that's when I blow out holes. If that happens I can do a drill that gets me moving better again. I tend to hang back on my right side and top the ball or hit it fat, but that is diminishing rapidly thank Christ, or Bio : ) I'm tending now not to have such a large backswing too, my tendency was to slow before impact, useless of course! My swing speed was up to 120mph but at impact about 94mph, so reaching top speed before impact. With a shorter backswing I'm still accelerating at impact, I think,,,, as I said I'm trying not to analyse too much, just do the PST's and hit the ball, this is all reflection. At the Links the other day my 7i was going round 155mts and 3i around 200. Nice to have accurate marking there too BTW, made it much easier. I played there with no driver, too hard to travel with. As I said I'm trying not to analyse my swing too much though I have noticed I'm swing flatter with irons and my right elbow is really against my side like Hogan (kinda). I think I'm slowly getting the 4.30 Lag talks of without even trying. Yep to the Dart drills, 2 to 5 mts I do.
  • Stinkler likes this

#4 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18529 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

Thanks stinkler. I understand trying not to analyse, but I just enjoy it so much! :o) I feel like my swing is going in a similar direction - feels shorter and flatter. Interesting. Look forward to hearing more.

#5 Prot

Prot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

Good luck Stinkler. I am not sure if you derive any of your golfing style from the Golfing Machine but if so, this is as good a place as any to toot your horn. Take your time, and start with modest goals. ;)

#6 Styles

Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5165 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Good luck Stinkler!

#7 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Good luck mate and above all enjoy the journey

#8 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thanks guys. Well I feel in a way the journey begins today as I've made the commitment to 'reflect' upon it here. I'm sitting here at 5.30 reading through posts and thinking about my game and what I want. For me here in lies the danger! Once I want something it gets dangerous. So, I've decided I'll try to go for the best advice I've seen here. Try smarter not harder,,,,, Play safe/conservative but aggressive golf,,,,,(pick a spot short and really go for it; Lags tip) Allow myself xxxx number of bad shots for the round,,,,,,(maybe per hole for me at this stage : ) Just enjoy the game and accept the scores that happen. We'll see. Report back this arvo.
  • Stinkler likes this

#9 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

Played par today, -4, this is going to be one hard journey indeed, I could do a shot by shot but don't want to write a book : ) I stuck to my goals for this week but couldn't put it all together, I could make excuses but that's all they'd be. One thing I found was that I had fun even though I left way too many shots out there. I kept my cool and just kept playing golf, unlike another in my group! It's bad when the dummy comes out and the game falls way down, but when others do it it helps me realise how futile that is. I was -4 after 4 holes then came back to -1 for front 9, so I didn't give up. What did I learn today? That's the important question. Well, here I go. 1/ My swing IS improving, but my old habits are still strong and take over when my mind is busy blah blah blah,,, as soon as I think, ooh get this on and I'm looking good for a plus it's over,,,, side point, I didn't use clear key at all today, haven't needed it lately. eg; 1st hole; 295mte par 4, sweet 6i to middle (smart), sweet 9i slight draw pin high bunker left, out to 3 foot. Head going yeah! Putt this for plus, I'm on,,,,,,,, 3 putt, Ha, retarded fool!!! 2/Make all choices about the shot before I step up! Then don't stand over the ball going, "maybe I should cut it? No, I know, smash it" or "should it be a 6i" or "what will I write on ISG about this hole?" 3/ If I can sort my head out I'll play good golf. I always play better golf when it doesn't matter, like the last 2 holes today (plus, plus), it becomes easy then. It wont happen over night, but it will happen!
  • Stinkler likes this

#10 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

Ah yes, the journey :)

#11 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18529 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

Yeah, I find when my mind is engaged I hit poor shots. When I get it out of the way and just focus on either a picture of the shot I want to hear, or in most cases just focus on a spot on the back of a ball and hit it.

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:50 AM

good luck stinkler. only count the score at the end of the game. bogie golf is good golf. which club are you a member at? wont be offended if you wish to not say. kiwi

#13 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:55 AM

Northcote, I played with a fellow Kiwi today, very good striker and got some good hints about just that (counting at end)! He also mentioned not standing over the ball too long too and confusing the issue, he wasn't wearing a white belt and neither was I : )
  • Stinkler likes this

#14 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18529 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

I think the standing over the ball thing is about why are you standing. Nicklaus stood until he felt inside that he should hit it. That's ok. If your standing there thinking about how to hit the ball properly your in trouble. My long set ups in the past have been more about the latter! Now I'm trying to pull the trigger as soon as I feel comfortable and balanced.

#15 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20001 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Northcote, I played with a fellow Kiwi today, very good striker and got some good hints about just that (counting at end)! He also mentioned not standing over the ball too long too and confusing the issue, he wasn’t wearing a white belt and neither was I : )

no way i play northcote heaps. good test of golf strategy, plenty of brothers that are members there, actually way more than plenty kiwi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users