24 replies to this topic

#1 joe1981

joe1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

question out of left field here - anyone ever play the golf course on denarau island in fiji? is it worth taking clubs over there?

#2 kizza

kizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

Joe, Played there in October lasy year. Nice layout but very very dry back then and i didn;t think it was great value for money. I wouldn't take my clubs back.

#3 Pipp

Pipp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2516 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hi Joe, I wanted to play when I was there but couldn't justify the cost when I can play on the Gold Coast at Royal Pines for half the money.

#4 golferman68

golferman68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

I took my clubs, got a discounted rate and enjoyed 2 rounds there...It has rained heaps since then...not sure what its like now

#5 joe1981

joe1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

thanks guys - i think were staying at the hotel where you can get on the course for free (i.e. were probably paying for it in our accom costs). but im paranoid that i'll take my clubs over there and bloody qantas will lose em. might give it a miss them - probably keep the missus happy too.

#6 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hey man, i played there last September, it is a very long and open lay out. There is one par 5 that is next to the main road that leads to the harbour that seems like it is 600 metres. Even the carry over the first creek is a fair hit. Anyway, if you are only staying in the one place then taking your clubs may not be a bad idea as your missus might want to go and get a massage or something and you can go out and smash a quick 9. I did not stay there but i heard it is very nice. I stayed at the Shangri La which is south on the island and has it's own 9 hole golf course which is well maintained.

#7 joe1981

joe1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

the 9 holer sounds good - probably less busy too. i heard somewhere that the high humidity in the air in fiji causes you to lose distance (a whole club or something like that), did you find this was the case?

#8 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

the 9 holer sounds good – probably less busy too.

i heard somewhere that the high humidity in the air in fiji causes you to lose distance (a whole club or something like that), did you find this was the case?

Yes, it is very quiet. I snuck on their for a few hits just before dark and must admit that it was great fun. The 9th is a great little par 3 that you are hitting towards the ocean. As for hitting the ball less, i did not really notice it all that much to be honest with you.

#9 joe1981

joe1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

thanks - looking forward to it

#10 JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGreater Queanbeyan

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Anyone got any recent reviews on this course (Denarau)?  Looking at this time next year.

#11 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Worth the trip down the coral coast to Natadola Bay GC. It is the most beautiful course I have ever played. Look it up on YouTube. Mint.
  • Madambo likes this

#12 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

They are also about to play the Fiji International there, f@rking amazing course!

Edited by BigDig83, 31 July 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#13 OzPaul

OzPaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

I am in Suva now for another year or so

The only 2 decent courses here are Denarau and Natadola

Denarau probably equivalent to Australian resort stryle course, Natadola would make the top 100 easily

Denarau (Nadi) is a good resort course well maintained and quite a lot of run on fairways, greens consistent. A good day out and hackers don't lose too many balls

Natadola is a spectacular course 35 minutes from Nadi. Very challenging. Ocean front with couple of holes on the beach. Can be very windy and the rough is dense. If your ball lands in the rough it is gone, end of story. I love this course because the big hitters get in all sorts of trouble. If you have any slice or hook tendencies the wind will steal your ball. Accuracy a must. Hackers can lose a dozen or more balls, even good players lose a few. Several opportunities to buy (rent, lol) used balls from the locals.

Nadi Airport Golf Course 10 minutes from Denarau in bad shape, fairways and greens very neglected.

Courses at Lautoka and Ba are awful dry open paddocks. Don't bother.

ShangriLa 15 minutes from Natadola is quite a fun 9 hole course.

Naviti Resort 60 minutes east of Natadola is a short 9 hole course for 'hit and giggle'. Shang is better. 

Pearl Championship course in Pacific Harbour interesting course but gets twice the rain as Nadi course, therefore can be a mudbath with shabby greens. Expect to lose balls plugged deep in the fairway. I live 45 minutes from there and my last 3 games there were misery. Not worth the drive from Nadi.

Suva course I play every week, quite ok considering it gets rained on every night. Generally zero run on the fairways and the greens are very slow. Very friendly place. Not worth trip from Nadi but if you are in Suva is definitely worth a hit. Generally more enjoyable than Pearl.

Annual rainfall in Nadi (west coast) is 1800mm per year. Suva (east) gets 3000mm per year. Pacific Harbour gets even more than Suva, had 160mm overnight sometimes. Therefore eastside golf is sloppy.

Edited by OzPaul, 04 August 2015 - 06:08 AM.

• Madambo, El Barto, Mr_C and 1 other like this

#14 lincoln_sa

lincoln_sa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Natadola is an amazing course, played there in August!

Was wet, but still superb condition!

• Madambo likes this

#15 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Natadola is an amazing course, played there in August!
Was wet, but still superb condition!

Two mates played there.
Said it was mad ! Massive elevations and switchback down a mountainside to get to fairway .

Hitting a 7 iron massive distance because of heights.
They loved it.
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users