#1 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 12:02 AM

Help ISGers,

I am thinking of buying a stand bag to replace my current bag, which I use with a pull buggy. Had a look in Golf Works @ Gabba this morning, and got myself completely confused with the options available. So many different choices. I can remember the following brands (some with different models) being present: Ping, Wilson, Nike, Proline, Tommy Armour, Maxfli, Mizuno, Titleist, Piranha ...

Can you guys recommend any bags? Or at least some features that are essential for this type of bag?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

#2 championic

championic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 12:04 AM

I have a callaway Glider Stand Bag, I would recommentd it because it is nice looking, pretty light, great range of storage spaces, like removable pockets
a putter pit, full length dividers

etc

Joseph

#3 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 01:09 AM

Putter pit is an important thing...wish i had one in the Cleveland bag i have smile.gif

In terms of good straps, the izzo's on the nike's aren't really that good. Check the straps if you try the bags on by the guys at the store asking if you can put a set of irons into them. This gives you the best idea of what they feel like loaded. The GolfPak straps on the Cleveland superfly are great with a load on that's for sure..

Stand mechanism, very important in terms of how it feels, unfolds, strength. Again, with some irons in the bag see how easily the legs come out, if the bag is wobbly on the flat surface etc.

Full length dividers are pretty important, whether they are solid or material...my matrial oone tore after 6 months. I don't know of many bags with full length solid dividers expect for the

House of golf have the Tommy Armours which are pretty darn good combo of lower price, storage and good padded straps. Strudy stand mechanism too.

Another one i've been looking for is the Wilson Lizard Delexe, it has removable parts so you can lighten it when you don't need extra storage.

If you can get out to the House of Golf at Mt Gravatt see if Adam is around as he's very helpful.

The other factor is price, how much do you want to pay? smile.gif Go a Ping or Callaway highend...you can't go wrong wink.gif

#4 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:58 AM

Ping Hoofer enough said! :wink:

#5 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:55 AM

the new OGIO with the woods compartments down the left hand side of the bag is pretty cool...I saw a couple over the weekend...really great idea...

this also means that the older design OGIO bags were dirt cheap...

wateva u end up with...FULL LENGTH DIVIDERS are a MUST!!! 8)

#6 jarro

jarro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6068 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:51 AM

someone on the boards here had a hoofer bag going cheap :? :wink:

#7 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:36 PM

heh, wish we could get the Ogio's over here in Brisbane. I know the Callaway bags are made by them but that "stadium seating" in the new 2003 Ogio line looks great.

Too expensive to have them sent from the US...hugh ship fee for their size...sigh...

#8 kwantfm

kwantfm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:57 PM

Where are people getting Ogio's... anyone know if they are available in Sydney?

#9 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Putter well and full length dividers noted.
I am limited to getting the carry bag from Golf Works. They are offering me a good deal on a new bag, coz my current Cobra bag's base is totally screwed after less than three years. sad.gif
Ping Hoofer is probably a bit pricey for my golfing needs.

#10 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:15 PM

cool, if they are giving a deal then stay with them.

they do have a good cross section of bags. Which ones appealed the most?

I haven't been in there for awhile so i don't know what they've got on the floor.

#11 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:44 PM

I listed the brand names of the carry bags that they carried above. I'm not sure what models though.
There were just too many for me to focus on just a few (hence my confusion :?)
There was a nice looking Wilson bag with a putter well, that I remember.
I also remember seeing the Ping Hoofer and J (and the price tags).

#12 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:48 PM

If it's the Wilson Lizard Deluxe go for it! smile.gif

Can't go wrong with a hoofer...at those prices...8O

When you have the time to go back, do the irons in each bag trick. Start with the ones you like for the prices you like and chuck a set of irons in them and then try them with weight in them...adjust the straps, have a walk...the one you want should be easy to find based on the balance, comfort and the right price.

#13 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:04 PM

Perhaps a better question might be, what brands can I cancel out?
MacLeod has mentioned that Nike straps aren't great.
Any other bad "experiences" with carry bags? Or known duds?

#14 MacLeod

MacLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:13 PM

my cleveland superfly laugh.gif

it's a good bag just had issues with the divider lining tearing (i cut it out, works ok without it wink.gif ) and when the strap broke, it wasn't the strap fault...just where it was joined to the bag..Cleveland wouldn't just give me a new bag they sent it to be repaired...it then broke again and they still wouldn't replace it but the new repair is excellent and hasn't broken again.

no putter well either...but it's straps are very good and padded. OK storage, very sturdy legs...i'm a wuss and want a putter well! :roll:

The straps on the Nikes are Izzo but not terribly well padded at all...kind of lowend izzo really wink.gif

#15 apholden

apholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1688 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:22 PM

Izzo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users