Driver
10 Hook - away from water so that was my setup
12 Push slice - wide fairway so wasn't really favouring anything
13 Hook - OOB right so set up for draw
16 Hook - OOB right so overcompensated again
17 Massive push into tree - just a really bad swing
18 Bit of a push and must have faded at the last for wet
3 Dead straight - was intending a draw but didn't
4 Another huge push fade - set up for fade to avoid OOB left and was waaaay too much
5 Low fade - set up for it - went too far right but wasn't too bad
6 Push fade - as per setup but again too much push
8 Perfect push fade around the dogleg 251m

The two massive push fades cost me
The rest pretty much did the shape I was aiming for but way too much of it so finished on very few fairways. Hit more but they were very firm and generally rolled off.

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11627 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39371 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Short game
10 LW bunker shot ok to 15ft
11 8i chip to 15 and down
12 Gap wedge chip was too soft and stopped in the thick grass - but was ok as my approach left me in a tough spot. Texas after to 2ft and down.
13 Had an 8i chip and run from a long way under trees and past a bunker - didn't expect to get it close but was very happy with it. Texas after was up and down.
14 Texas only to 10 and not down
16 Gap chip to 6 and should have been down on a straight putt I pulled
17 SW chip rolled the whole green through, then Texas up and down
1 terrible LW pitch thin left me bugger all and I made bugger all of the attempted 8i chip and run
4 Gap chip was well short
5 Bad 8i approach left me with lots of grass and should have risked the LW but 5i chip and run stopped dead on the first bounce
6 5i chip and run up the hill was too soft
8 5i chip and run was good to 6ft but a pushed putt meant no up and down birdie

Handicap

#11628 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

So Weeti, a question if I may.

Now that you have analysed the "mistakes" as you see them, what next?

Are you going to try to address each one when faced with the same shot next time, or are you just looking for patterns in your errors?

For me, I just try to work on one thing at a time (and when I say work at one thing, I mean try to remember one thing for the next comp round)

My errors are usually just broken down into 3 areas, driving, irons, or chipping.

If its my driver, then the next round I'll just focus on setting up correctly, and not putting too much into the swing, whatever the issue was the previous round. (a faster swing leads to loss of control and any error is magnified the faster we try and go).

If it's my irons, I'll just work on my ball position and clubface at address (again swinging at about 80%) with not a thought about the previous rounds errors.

If it's my chipping, that hasn't finished close enough for my liking the previous round, then I'll just work on distance control and in using my body to power the shot, and try not to vary the clubs too much.

One thing I've found, is that if we let it, we can start to chase our tails in terms of trying to fix past errors, and that what may have been yesterday's error, will undoubtedly turn into something else today.

For the much bigger and chronic issues, like hitting nothing but either hooks or slices, then yes do the work to resolve them once and for all, but only if they are chronic and consistent.

At our level, anything else I reckon is just a fault of using whatever swing we wake up with on the day. :)

• Notupnotin likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#11629 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39371 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

In this case Gaz it's mostly just an update. My swing inconsistencies are throughout the bag so it's just about building that consistent setup, takeaway and transition at the moment - grinding it at the range.

Short game is about getting better and judging how the ball is going to react on the ground, and building to the point where I can feel confident to choose the lob wedge when I need to. Right now I'm not confident at all so I choose chip and run shots pretty much every time. When the green surrounds are thick like they were at Carbrook that's not going to lead to lots of ups and downs, but it is usually a bogie which is better than when I was chunking and blading lobs! :)

Handicap

#11630 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39371 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

My chronic and consistent issue has been the flat inside hook or push swing, and that's why I'm making this current change. It's a struggle and I've been down a few roads already but haven't found a solution.

I tried to go back and just accept the swing I bought but it's just not playable. It's too much inside out.

So I'm bringing a much more up backswing which is creating a much straighter path. But transition is still a bit inconsistent and so is my setup. I'll get there though.

Handicap

#11631 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33076 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

getting there

#11632 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39371 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

I felt like I played absolutely rubbish - especially the long game - and finished 16 over

So that's a good sign compared to a couple months back

But still a loooong way to go

Handicap

#11633 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Great Sage...Equal of Heaven...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9798 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Anything 16 over is under 90. If you work on one thing as suggested by the big G you should be able to reduce thst to 10-12. Then move on to the next thing. How many short putts do you miss?

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#11634 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39371 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

The odd one inside 3ft

A few too many between 3 and 8

Handicap

#11635 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

3/4 swings, and a relaxed athletic stance are perfect for smoothing out the golf swing Weeti.

What we tend to do I reckon ......... is to try and hit them further, faster, or harder, with every club in the bag, and that leads to all sorts of maladies ..... a fast jerky backswing that put us off balance, through swings where the timing is all wrong (hands either ahead or behind where they should be .... hips open too fast, or too slow, arms and wrists out of sync etc, etc.)

Stretching and reaching for the ball, standing too low, or too high at address, etc.

With 3/4 swings eg, a slightly shorter backswing, there isn't the pressure to swing back as far as possible, so we remain in a more comfortable position. Because there is no effort in the backswing, it tends to be slower and smoother, and it tends, I find, to keep the various body parts moving in time, cause we're not trying to crush the ball.

Ensuring we have a relaxed, and athletic stance at set-up is also crucial I think to being able to put a solid and good swing. We should make sure our arms hang down off our shoulders at address, so we don't reach for the ball, and that our weight is not on our heels or our toes.

Getting the stance right, and using a relaxed 3/4 swing, particularly early on during a round, and we will all be much more consistent in our swings.. Once we groove that 3/4 swing either pre round, or early on, then it's not that much harder to put a bit of juice into it, so long as the aim is to remain smooth.

For swinging too much from inside to out here's something to try ....... just pull your rear foot back a few inches (keep your shoulders square to the target). This emphasises the possibility of an even more inside to out swing, but you know that ...... so you'll actually find you have plenty of room to swing back, without the need to bring it to the inside early.

Sometimes I reckon we can get used to cramping ourselves a touch in the backswing, keeping the hands close to us as they go back, hence we hit from the inside, but by giving ourselves a lot more room, it will start to develop the feel of keeping the hands "out there" for longer, if that makes sense.

Some pro's would say pick a spot a foot or more behind the ball (on the target line) and watch the clubhead pass over it on the backswing (in order to promote a more upright backswing), but I wouldn't be looking at anything other than the back of the ball.

When I practice my chipping these days, I often do a few chips set up closed (with the back foot a few inches behind the front foot), just so I don't develop the cramped backswing we can get when using an open stance all the time.

For every swing we need to feel like we have all the room in the world to make the swing, and that we don't cramp ourselves, or over reach........  just my thoughts ...  :)

• Notupnotin likes this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#11636 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Short game is about getting better and judging how the ball is going to react on the ground, and building to the point where I can feel confident to choose the lob wedge when I need to. Right now I'm not confident at all so I choose chip and run shots pretty much every time. When the green surrounds are thick like they were at Carbrook that's not going to lead to lots of ups and downs, but it is usually a bogie which is better than when I was chunking and blading lobs! :)

Weeti, the lob wedge needs some real practice time put into it.

Its certainly not going to be the first club choice for every shot, but it's a lot more versatile than it looks.

Aside from just the shot at hand to consider, eg the fly and roll components, the most important aspect is the lie the ball is sitting on.

That more than anything determines what you can hit with a lob wedge. If you can go for it with a lob wedge, then shaft angle, clubface angle, and ball position all play a crucial part.

The lob wedge I reckon is probably one of the hardest clubs to hit well, because of its versatility. (That's why its also the most fun to hit, and also why we need to practice a lot with it).

There are so many options for using the club, but it must match the situation at hand, and that's where your practice and experience come into it. If you never practice with it, you'll never know what it can and can't do.

I tend to get 3 balls around the practice green. Hit one high chip, one mid height, and one low running chip  with the lob wedge to the same practice hole .... changing stance, shaft angle, and ball position to get the different flighted shots.

Its a great way to have fun pre round and takes no time at all. A few Mickelson type flop shots go well too if you have the nerve, particularly if they have an island garden to chip over.

Chipping-Challenges.jpg

EVENT WINS

#11637 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 39371 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Gaz

Good thoughts!

I think my setup overall is pretty good, but I have to work out whether a square or slightly open face is the go with the swing change. Some range work had suggested slightly open but the weekend suggested probably square. I'll keep working at te range on that because it may tweak over time as I get my transition working better.

I think your point about rushing and trying to belt it is in my current situation relevant mostly to transition. I'm tending to go too hard and fast there and I suspect that's a contributor to the open face I'm getting.

I love the lob wedge and WIP contInue to work hard on it because as you say it is so versatile.

Handicap

#11638 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

I tend to get 3 balls around the practice green. Hit one high chip, one mid height, and one low running chip  with the lob wedge to the same practice hole .... changing stance, shaft angle, and ball position to get the different flighted shots.

Its a great way to have fun pre round and takes no time at all. A few Mickelson type flop shots go well too if you have the nerve, particularly if they have an island garden to chip over.

Chipping-Challenges.jpg

Which one are you in the photo GPJ?

• Francie, ink and Notupnotin like this

#11639 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33076 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Which one are you in the photo GPJ?

the left handed one

• GPJ_Longdriver likes this

#11640 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

I would have said .... the cute one. :)

• Weetbix likes this

EVENT WINS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)