11533 replies to this topic

#31 hunts49

hunts49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hey mate, sounds like I'm of a similar-ish level as you (or trying to get there) and I was looking forward to seeing your swing, but that youtube link didn't work! Would you be able to try to repost the link?

#32 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38793 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

Try again! www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CNJIhwWB8

#33 hunts49

hunts49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

Much better! Lookin good mate, very envious of your swing path, just watch out for the dog! My swing FWIW:

#34 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38793 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

Saw your swing from another thread the other day. I think it looks good. Nice and rythmic. And you were hitting a ball - I was just hitting air which is a lot easier. Appreciate your comment though.

#35 BeeZ

BeeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

Weetbix - do you reckon you overswing? Turn looks a bit strained - shoulders are turned but then you keep going. No need to strain with your turn that much I would say and for my money I would say it is quite possibly contributing to your OTT move........

#36 BeeZ

BeeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

Put it like this - the turn you make at the beginning of 13 seconds (pause) in that youtube looks about perfect to me. It's when you keep going into 14 seconds that your getting your problem - rising up and losing your relationship with the ground..

#37 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38793 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Thanks Beez. Completely agree. Working on a hitting pattern at the moment so the backswing is much shorter, but definitely an issue when swinging. Thanks for the feedback. You can see how much I lift and even shift back towards the target to get back that far - flexibility runs out!

#38 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38793 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

Went and had videos taken this morning for Bio to analyse. Many thanks to the fellow ISGer who organised it all for me. Much appreciated! And thanks for the chat - very nice to meet you mate. Sometime during the week I will get access to the analysis, and Bio will send me up my very own DVD of exercises to do every couple of days or so. Can't wait! Went to the range. My chipping is definitely coming along. Quality fo contact is there, and now it's a matter of developing the feel for the flight and roll characteristics of various setups and hinging actions to ensure I leave it close. Really happy to see improvement in this area because it has been the bane of my golfing. Also whacked a couple of buckets of balls (had the time because the missus is at a stamping party). My "swing without thinking" result is basically a push, with a bit of fade. I've tried to fix this with roll through the ball but no luck so far - generally just get wild to the point of hitting some shanks. This is where Bio's stuff comes in to its own though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. As Beez said I really tend to overswing and disconnect my pivot from my arms. This is going to change! Scarily the guy who helped me out today is 5 and a half feet tall and bangs it 270m with driver! So I'm looking forward to getting that sort of action happening. I'll keep you updated on how the biomechanics exercises impact my shots. Should be interesting.

#39 Dave_11372662112

Dave_11372662112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

Key stat for breaking 80 's Fairways hit.... I look at like this is you can hit a drive 210 meters straight on your par 4's the worst you should make is bogey.... but if you can par half thiose after a 210 meter drive..... many courses have 10 par 4's....so you make 5 pars...5 bogeys... ok the par 5's.....you proabably need to par 3 out of 4......thats one over and so far 6 over after 14 holes... that leaves the par 3's.....again your going to need par 3 out of 4.... thats 7 over 79 on par 72 track.... what you really need is maybe 1 birdie which allows another bogey and still shoot 79 I actually sit down when I have tournaments on and do a plan of where I can get pars but really fairways hit is critical, you dont have to be massive off the tee...Nick Ohearn hits 230-240 off the tee abd reached top 30 in the world fairways hit will increase Greens in reg too.... ato shoot 79 your also going to have to get up and down about 50% for that round...and maybe only one 3 putt.... once you break 80 youll do it again and again....ypou have the blue print then in your mind.... I also think when you practice practice only stroke golf if your playing on the course.....and dont hit 3 or 4 balls...play the one ball and treat it like saturday comp....Ric Charlesworth has always said in sport your practice needs to replicate game day pressure and conditions...and I agree with him...sure you need pratcice on the range and short game but we certainly dont practice enough on the course under pressure......

#40 Dave_11372662112

Dave_11372662112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

footnote on last post....Im not long either.....220 most drives but I have worked on accuracy I can bomb 250 it but a bomb in the bush results in double bogeys I looked at all my rounds in the 70's and the key stat was fairways hit

#41 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38793 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

Great stuff Dave. Very true. Something that I expect to see improve is the consistency of my motion. As I learn to work with my natural and improving biomechanics it will become more about getting the setup that supports the motion my body wants to make to give me the result I want. Also, good biomechanics is what gets the body into the positions that golf instruction often focusses on. The best way to maintain a flat left wrist is not to hold it tight but to have good biomechanics that build your swing from the ground up - then you wont flip your hands into impact. Similarly with lag, a good swing doesn't require me to try and maintain lag through a feedback mechanism - it's too late. You maintain lag by again working your swing from the ground up which ensures that the last thing that accelarates is the club. Of course I'm talking to the converted here! What I'm keen on from a distance perspective is properly using my body to efficiently hit the ball. Distance for me usually comes when I'm not trying to hit it long. That's when I allow my body to simply do what it does. Not that I hate the idea of blasting it long. I don't. I understand it's not necessary, but as the pro's demonstrate it's often easier to get a 9i from the rough close than it is to get a 6i from the fairway. I know my scatter on a 6i is much worse than my scatter on a 9i, even if it's not a perfect lie.

#42 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38793 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

So spent a couple of hours last night in a net-meeting with Scott/Bio going through my analysis. Unfortunately due to some problem with the links we couldn't see my analysed and broken-down video so I'll have to have another meeting to relate what the analysis shows with what I can see in the video. So what's thw verdict? Scott summed it up pretty succinctly "Quit golf!" LOL Seriously, it might be the best thing! :o) But that's what his business is all about so he's looking forward to me seeing improvements. So what I got out of the session was primarily that I am not building my swing from the ground up. Instead it is extremely armsy and my whole lower body and shoulders motion is only activated because my body is doing it's utmost to keep my arms moving. It's almost backwards compared to what a good kinetic link should look like. Despite this I get pretty good club speed results, but very little compression. I'm spanking the ball which doesn't impart the sort of force that compressing it does. The other thing that was graphically illustrated is that I cast from the top terribly. I save almost no lag for impact. To the extent that the speed of my clubhead is actually lower than that of my arms. So I should receive my Progressive Skills Training program in the mail Monday or Tuesday and then we start working on this dogs breakfast!

#43 ShortsTuff

ShortsTuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

LOL - that looks exactly what I'm expecting. Had my vids done this morning - I think Bio is going to have deja vu all over again.

#44 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

weetbix, sorry mate, can't help meself sometimes....hafta put in me 2 bobs worth. Is it possible you're over theorising this game? Just me reading your posts and I'm thinking you have WAY too much to think about while you're trying to hit the ball. I know a bloke who had similar problems and he would literally stop at the top of his back swing, unable to start the downswing because he'd forgotten what was next. Just count to 4 while swinging back, start the downswing with the arms, smack the ball with your hands and let the arms bring your head up to watch the ball flight (this helps you to actually watch the ball while you're hitting it). Too freakin' easy!! Works for me, hcp 12.

#45 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Mugcanic, you must have missed chapter 3 in TGM regarding component translation procedures and practice versus playing. Those technical component descriptions are translated into describable feels and one-by-one inserted into the pattern, alternately with and without monitoring so eventually you can play brain-dead monitoring only the hands, if anything at all, and reproducing the mechanics with feel. "Downswing blackout" doesn't work very well for improvement. Banging balls on the range without knowing what you're doing does no good. Better to never leave the short game area. Or work exclusively with interactive video on the spot. Unfortunately the players' natural instincts are disastrous. Been there, done that. :-) Looking for a better way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users