#16 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38015 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Started the back nine with a great drive on the 448m par 5. Hit a lovely 7w right up the guts to about 85m out. Smacked the SW to get the divot I was raving about earlier. Short of the pin by probably 20ft but got a par when the second putt fell. 10-310mPar4- another great drive but it left me at the corner of the dogleg in scraggly grass and on the side of a mound. Pulled the PW way right and because the side of the green had a big slope it bounced way right into where the water runs through to a nearby creek. Dry but it was deep in the grass sitting up on the side of a bank with about a 50degree slope. Shite! Chunked it out really well by just picking the LW straight up and chopping it out. Wished I'd hit it harder because I ended up short of the green on a great line. Too conservative but if I'd flown it it would have ended up in the sand on the other side of the green. Anyway ... another chip and 2 putt for double. Can't remember how the chip went wrong. 11-167mPar3 way up hill-pushed the 7w right but not terribly bad. Unfortunately the lie was terrible - deep scraggly grass again! And a bunker between me and the hole. So I puched it low out to the right. Then hit a 15-20 footer back for par! Woo Hoo! Finally a putt that dropped. 12-403mPar4- hit a long drive with good contact, but again push and slice. Into the trees. Took at 8i to punch a 3/4 swing through a big hole in the canopy. Should have been great but I forgot something I've learned recently. Let me explain ... I had always been taught that the ball starts on the direction that the clubhead is swinging. The difference between that and the clubface is then what determines the spin. Well the second is sort of true. But the fact is that the ball starts mostly in the direction the clubface points. The difference between the clubface and swingpath is what puts side spin on the ball though. What does this mean? Lets take trying to hit a deliberate slice. I used to think you would align your body where you want the ball to start and open the face. What this actually does though is that the ball starts out right - a bit less right than the face is pointing. You do get cut spin. What I did was lined myself up with the gap I wanted to hit through, which was somewhat across the fairway, and opened the clubface to get the ball to turn right so it didn't run through the other side of the fairway. So of course the ball went right off the face instead of straight, hit a branch and stayed amongst the trees! Lesson to remember! So next a 7i through a gap up short of the green by about 40m (best I could hope for). Pitch then chip then 2 putts for a triple. That hole sucked! And it didn't get better. 14th was a par 4 of 364m. Pushed and sliced the ball way way right into the trees. Still don't know what happened but my 4i punch out only travelled 10m so I was still in the trees. Next 4i punch was fine, leaving me about 70m out with a shot that is way downhill. Full LW came up a couple of metres short and another chip and 2 putt left another triple. 15-295mPar4- hit another really nice 5w to middle of the fairway. My SW from 90m went way past the flag (really smashed the jooby out of that one, did not expect to be long). 2 putts for par. 16-145mPar4 way uphill to a blind green. Hit an absolutely pure 6i. It was probably my shot of the day, but I had some wonderful irons. This one was maybe 7ft short of the hole. 2 putts unfortunately for par - first putt slid below the hole. Just a misread I think. 17-405mPar4. Pulled and topped a drive left into the trees to waste one of the best driving holes I know. 4i punch out of the trees to about 140m. Pin at front so took an 8i to land it short. Smashed another iron shot past the flag and rolled back to the mid-back of the green! Normally I'd expect 120m from an 8i! 2 putts from a long way back for bogie. The last hole at McLeod is a way uphill 181m par 3. Great hole with a big bunker on the left and everything rolling away from the green. Took out 5w to allow for the stiff wind on our faces and crushed it. Drew it a fair bit and just carried the bunker on the left to leave myself a fair way from the pin. I then misread the putt and ran it 10ft past the hole! Doh! 2 more putts for a second 3 putt bogie. So it was a 2 over last 4 holes, which is a good result. Those 2 triples killed me. But 92 is an ok score for me given that my previous round was 92 and my ones before that were I think 100 and 99. Hope that wasn't too boring!

#17 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

> 327m Par4-pushed drive straight into the trees, lost. Chipped out. Just curious, I'm guessing you take penalty drops for lost balls when you're playing socially?

#18 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yep, sure do. We're pretty relaxed about where you drop it - don't measure the 2 clubs length or anything like that. But you lose it you take a penalty drop. That's the rules. Otherwise you're just making up your score! :o)

#19 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

The actual rule for a lost ball is that you must add a penalty stroke, and return to the place where you played your last shot. So if you lose your first tee-shot, you have to go back to the tee where you are now playing your third shot. It's called taking a "stroke-and-distance" penalty. Have a read of Rule 27 if you want to get the details.

#20 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

"traditional rules of golf" Stroke and distance is done via a walk back down the fairway 30 yards and a penalty stroke. Speeds things up a bit in a social round. Ask Lagpressure about the rules they use for the Persimmon Cups.

#21 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

> Speeds things up a bit in a social round. That's why the concept of a provisional ball is catered for in rule 27. But in social golf you can play whatever variant you wish, including mulligans and everyone's favourite, "tee shot with your pants around your ankles".

#22 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

... and everyone’s favourite, “tee shot with your pants around your ankles”.

Would probably improve my footwork! Never knew that that was the rule. What about when it is lost in a hazard - I watch the pros play it from a drop behind the hazard? Or at least that's what I thought I saw! I've always played it that the provisional/going back to where you took the last shot from was for out of bounds. Otherwise it was a drop from where it crossed the hazard or where it was lost. However it makes sense for a lost ball I guess given how do you determine where to drop from? I think I'll stick with the drop it and go strategy - the people behind will get pretty crabby if I walk 200m back up the fairway to hit again! Not to mention the people behind them... and behind them ...
  • Hakka likes this

#23 Ferrins

Ferrins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

Set a goal to play a round with bogey being your worst score on any whole. This really worked for me. I play off 8 now and still play to this basic principal.
  • Smithtown likes this

#24 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

> What about when it is lost in a hazard You have one or two additional options when the ball is certainly lost in a water hazard. See Rule 26. You can always take the stroke and distance option as per a lost ball, but if the ball is certainly lost in a water hazard (yellow stakes) you can drop behind the hazard on a line through the point of entry and the pin. If it's a lateral water hazard (red stakes) you can also drop within two clublengths from the point of entry (or within two clublengths from a point on the margin of the other side of the hazard equidistant from the hole). Reading the rules and talking about any points of confusion in the rules forum, or with a knowledgeable mate is pretty important if you are going to play the game properly. And knowing the rules thoroughly can actually save you strokes, as they can be used to advantage in certain situations.

#25 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Went to the range tonight. I suppose I will call it a good learning experience! Started with some 50m pitches. Realised I was flipping hugely and had quite an aggressive pivot turn going - more than necessary for a precision shot. When I tried to get the body action better found myself absolutely shanking it. This was a shock as I have NEVER shanked in my life. Sliced yes. Pulled yes. Shanked? No. Mucked around a while but was getting nowhere so thought I'd hit a few full shots and come back to the pitches. Then hit some 7 irons. Pretty good overall. A few pushes but not too bad. Can't remember hitting any fat which is a nice change. Pretty happy with the 7i overall. Then went to driver to see what I could do about Sunday's push fade. Was putting it all over the place - straight, left, right, hooks, slices, low, skyed. Was quite a display! Things were not looking good! Went back to the pitches and realised that I was totally off plane on the backswing - way inside. And then the flippy release was bringing the front of the sole/hosel into the back of the ball. So after a while I finally remembered to hit down and out and started hitting the ball properly. Was still pulling it a bit. My follow through was often a bent left arm that was pulled around my left side. Hands finished to the left, like they'd been pulled across. The club was straight up in front of me. This did not speak to me of a FLW, or arms straight a couple of feet past impact. Interested in people's thoughts and experience as to cause and correction for this. Then the youngen and I went to the chipping green. And had some fun. Started off just relaxed whacking balls around and found a real hitting action out of nowhere. Just picking the club up and pushing it into the back of the ball. So kept working on that the whole time. By the end I was conscious of setting the wedges at impact fix at whatever shaft and club face arrangement I wanted, and then lifting the whole setup without disturbing it. Challenge then was to push it back through the ball without doing one of two things - either running out of right arm and hitting the big ball before the little ball, or flipping the hands and hitting it thin. When I got it right I maintained the BRW and FLW and drove the hit through a definite feeling of getting weight into my front foot and hitting down through the ball. Was very happy with how this went. The boy and I played a few chipping games. We are both up for 6 pushups now as penalties. Then we returned to the mats to hit the balls we'd saved for chipping and then go home. Decided we'd have a driving game to finish. Don't know exactly but we probably hit 12 drives each. I hit most of them beautifully. Straight or close enough. And good distance. I learned a couple of things with those drives. One was that I was pulling myself out of alignment on the backswing through too much extensor action. I was not maintaining my weight inside my back foot, and so I was having trouble getting back to the ball. Got back to just getting my right arm back to a good position with a simple right forearm takeaway, and then starting the downswing by getting my left heal back to the ground. It worked. I did hit one big slice and one big hook. And a couple of others that were going to be in the trees. But the rest included some absolute crackers. So that's something to memory bank and work on in future sessions. So that was a good way to end. Next thing to groove that chipping motion, and sort out whatever it is I'm doing with those pitches!

#26 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Think I need to learn to write less!

#27 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

Gee I love this avatar!

#28 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Went to the range tonight. Had a major breakthrough with my chipping. Really started hitting it solid with a proper hitting action. Also had some success straighening out my full shots. Thought it might be useful to someone to post the notes I made. Chipping Focus through shot on right foot. Right elbow close to right hip, slightly above and in front, to ensure that I can maintain a bent right arm. Impact fix. Maintain BRW through to arms straight to avoid flipping. Right shoulder drives down with little pivot around left foot, which is holding most of my weight throughout the swing. Drive down and through to arms straight. Nothing new there. What really worked for me though was the focus on the lead foot. Ensured a stroke that started from the ground up. Also really ensuring the BRW. Basically had a feeling of driving the base of my right palm - the pressure point where is sits on the left thumb. But the biggest thing was setting up with the strong right hand position so that I had bend in my right arm. Made it possible to hit. Full Swing Same bent right elbow. Right forearm in line with shaft. Balance! Keep inside right knee - weight in right instep - or I'll sway. The power of the right arm behind the shaft / on the shaft plane! Especially on driver resist temptation to sway. Right arm simply takes club away - don't try and torque. Hold the BRW throughout the swing - don't flip. Feel like driving right palm strike down. Today the really big things have been the setup with bend in the right arm. Worked wonders for short game, including pitches. But also by ensuring that the right forearm was in line with the shaft it made all swings better. Took a while to sort it out with the driver, but got much better towards the end. Especially when combined with the other big thing - the feel of driving with the bottom of my right palm and holding the BRW solid. HUGE improvement with driver. Really feel like I am hitting it now instead of a bastardised swing. Good feeling. And great sounds from the balls! I love the sound of compression in the evening!

#29 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 38015 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

Had a whack at the range today. Worked on the flip! Man I flip a lot. Along with the flip comes an over the top motion. Noticed it with my initial pitch shots. Was chicken winging as I punched through, in response to the OTT move. Good to notice and sort out. Hit quite a few shanks on the full shots - right of the hosel! Will do a search on the site, there was a good thread about it a little while ago. But did get a couple of lightbulb moments. The first was how much I have been trying to hit without a pivot. My backswing has been about just getting the arm up. My shoulders and hips turn because they have to, but there is no rythmn from the pivot, and I find at the end of the swing that my hips and my shoulders are holding back, I don't get to a full finish. So I started working on that, ensuring that I was getting rotary motion back and forward to drive the swing, not having the arms pull the body around. The other was that I have been taking it back above the plane. I had a good look at the shaft and right forearm angle at setup and connected it to how Lynne Blake showed the path back down in the Alignment Golf DVD. I realised that I was taking it away on a much higher plane than that. Strangely to my thinking (although perhaps not to the coaches and knowledgable people out there) this seemed to lead to a push more than a pull. Not sure why? When I deliberately lowered the plane (don't know how close I got to the proper plane - need to buy some laser pointers). But got that feel that I associate with what Dart talks about with the loop at the top. The result was a ball starting a bit right (not as bad as the pulls I was doing) and drawing back to the target line (or at least close). It combined nicely with the pivot work. Like the swing went back and then turned through. Much more relaxed motion, not as aggressive a hit. But I checked and the right arm definitely worked to straighten, so I was definitely hitting (also definitely did not feel like the left arm was being thrown off the chest). So, more to work on. Hopefully I'm playing North Lakes next Sunday. Never played it before, looking forward to quite a challenge.

#30 Styles

Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5165 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

sounds great weetbix, keep her lit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users