19 replies to this topic

#1 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

IOver the past month or so, I have developed a slice:the powers to be here say that I am turning my hips too fast during the downswing and leaving the clubhead behind. I can understand that this is the problem, but how the hell do I stop doing it? Anyone out there have any drills that I can use to slow the hip turn down?

#2 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

I had the same problem a while back. My coach got me doing a drill which involved turning my belt buckle a tiny bit to the left (left handed golfer) before my takeaway, with the feeling of having my hips in that position at impact. While it felt as though my hips were in the same position at impact as the takeaway they were infact just slowing down a little bit.

#3 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Slappa, I'll give that a try.

#4 Crashlanding

Crashlanding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

Interesting you should post this chinaalan as I have developed a slice over the last few months and a golfing buddy told me that on the bad shots my hips had started to rotate a lot before i'd evenstarted my downswing! No idea why. I made a mental note of twisting my right knee less and it seemed to prevent a huge hip turn. Good luck!

#5 OhNotThere

OhNotThere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

make a swing which feels like your only using your arms on the downswing. try not to put any rotation into it apart from your arms coming down and through... this is a mental thing you can try, it works for me when i start opening up too quickly and have to let my hands come through first.

#6 Nidan

Nidan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Your hips aren't rotating too fast, they're rotating too soon. Your hips (and shoulders) shouldn't start rotating until your weight reaches your left pivot point. You can rotate as hard and as fast as you like once your weight is left. Good player's hips are rotating open through impact; poor player's hips open too soon, consequently they have no rotational energy left at impact.

#7 OhNotThere

OhNotThere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

good point nidan.

#8 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

You are not rotating too fast, you are rotating too far. It is a chain reaction... Hips, shoulders, arms, hands! Stop your hips and keep rotating... start walking left... Go with just arms/shoulders or arms/shoulders first and you can start walking to the right. Good players rotate their hips first but it is merely to fire the first link in the chain, its quick and violent but it stops as the next link takes over! And many good players and big hitters begin their plant/rotation whilst the club is still going back but this is an advanced move... Just my opinion...

#9 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks guys I will trty some of this out at the weekend.

#10 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

You are not rotating too fast, you are rotating too far. It is a chain reaction… Hips, shoulders, arms, hands! Stop your hips and keep rotating… start walking left… Go with just arms/shoulders or arms/shoulders first and you can start walking to the right.

Good players rotate their hips first but it is merely to fire the first link in the chain, its quick and violent but it stops as the next link takes over! And many good players and big hitters begin their plant/rotation whilst the club is still going back but this is an advanced move…

Just my opinion…

It is quite possible that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Hi Junior how are you,just a small Question if I may,what is your opinion of Tom Tomasello,s description of swing sequence--as follows- right hip-right arm -right arm left hip,more or less pivot sequence as well,cheers mate ,keep up the good work. Never got to see appeal day,due to family illness,that comes first.

#11 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Dont know mate am not familiar with it... Would hate to comment on something I was not familiar with. I can only tell you what I am feeling when I am swinging well... Rock - Left foot plant - hip drive - lat stretch - float - hands drawn in and back - core fire - shoulder thrust - violent arm swing - club feels like it is coming from behind - hard wrist snap - 2nd pivot fire - continued acceleration until shaft snaps of back or hat!! lol When I swing well my feet feel very light then very heavy... (hint) Sorry bout your family illness, absolutely fam always first!!! Hope they are better now.. Junior

#12 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for reply Junior,when you have nothing to do,lol,try it for fun and tell me if you would "what you feels happening"that aligns with you brief but good description of what you "FEEL"in your swing,especially with your left side.cheers As for fam,he,s got no more than 4 weeks,I was lucky to give him his last game of golf in a buggy on appeal weekend

#13 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

Im very sorry to hear that brownman, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. At least he got that one last game in and I am sure it is a memory that you and he will both cherish forever! Kindest regards to all concerned Junior

#14 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

I'm having the opposite problem ! Hooking the fairway woods that also drove that way once in a while. I could see that my hands rolled over. Hands too fast or too early ? I suspect it is the start of the back swing. I will try a very slow takeaway and straight back ward away from target the next time at the practice range. I also had a BODY PUMP class after a 2 months rest. Does it affect the golf swing?

#15 AB_Uncut

AB_Uncut

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

absolutely ellimb... physical fatigue which can last up to 96 hours after training will affect motor skill performance and neurological muscle firing ability... Have a rest, let it go and get back to it when you feel energised. This is why athletes taper weight training weeks prior to competition! Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users