11 replies to this topic

#1 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

I seem to have the same drives on most holes each week. Some holes I drive beautifully straight but a couple of holes in particular I seem to develop a nasty slice despite not wanting one and end up in trouble in the trees etc. Can anybody shed some light on this?

#2 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4527 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

as soon as Boz's new torch arrives I'll be right on it Luci

#3 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

as soon as Boz’s new torch arrives I’ll be right on it Luci

Formerly known as “Have Clubs Will Travel”

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

http://www.bensproshop.com....

Love ya sense of humour HCWT! I had better get one too, maybe it will show me the way.

#4 IDGolfguy

IDGolfguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Check the way you're aligned. Misalignment is often the root cause of swing woes.

#5 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Check the way you’re aligned. Misalignment is often the root cause of swing woes.

“There is no truth. There is only perception.” – Gustave Flaubert

But odd that it seems to be on the same holes each week. Even if I try and face further the other way.

#6 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4527 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Some tees actually point you off int he wrong direction without you even noticing it. Don't align yourself with the tee , use the fairway or whatever your aiming point is.

#7 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

I've got a few holes on my course where I'm prone to slicing. One of them has a water hazard all the way down the left side, and subconsciously I must be scared of hooking it into the drink, so I don't close the clubface and steer it way right. Moral of the story? Commit to hitting it to a target every time.

#8 Styles

Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5165 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got! Its a very common phenomenon among golfers. When a golfer likes a hole they talk about how it 'fits their eye'. The best thing to do, especially on nemesis holes that cost you shots, is to completely change your approach until you find one that works - even if it means hitting 6 iron off the tee then 3 wood to the green! Next time you play, use a different club and see where you end up.

#9 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Some tees actually point you off int he wrong direction without you even noticing it. Don’t align yourself with the tee , use the fairway or whatever your aiming point is.

Formerly known as “Have Clubs Will Travel”

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

http://www.bensproshop.com....

Stand at the very back of the tee and look down the fairway. Even the daily markers can be crooked and line up in misleading angles. As Styles said try a different club for a few weeks at least.

#10 SoulmanZ

SoulmanZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

there are a few threads around about the psychology of hazards as well. i think there is something in the instruction or psychology section but cant remember what heading it is under trying to stay away from something is one of the more psychologically damaging things you can do. a positive target is a far better approach, although as you have seen the problem compounds as you continue to put it in the 'worst' place, it can be hard to leave the mindset often an easy approach is like styles said. change it up. even if you take 3 shots to the green on the par 4 with three 7 irons, it not only is easier than being in the trees, you are training your mind you can put the ball where you want on the hole and you are practicing your short game but if you do that, aim at something. a spot on the fairway, or a tree behind the fairway. the second is good too because it is using the evil thing - the tree - as a guidepost. without the length to actually hit into the trees they are no longer a source of anxiety, but useful

#11 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

You may be 'facing further the other way' but leaving your clubface pointing down the initial 'straight' line. That would lead to cutting the ball and cause a fade into the trees you are wanting to miss.

#12 BeeZ

BeeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Put yourself in certain surroundings, and certain juices get turned on. Walk in to one bar, you're happy. Walk in to a different bar, you want to go home right away. Surroundings create behaviour. The way out is pre-shot routine (and staying away from crap bars).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users