• Please log in to reply
993 replies to this topic

#946 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

I’ve been hearing good things about the drainage installed, how long before the rest of the course is complete?
You’re absolutely right about the subs Nick, that’s the only reason I left and that’s the reason why I find the “not for profit club” but a little amusing, why else would subs be raised almost 10% in 2 years with $20m in the bank?! Hubris should be the only reason things would go awry at Eastern IMO.

Members have been told that all drainage will be completed well before winter. Also the drainage levy is short lived and coming off at next subs renewal.

I wonder if the subs raised by 10% was not a testing of the market. I mean Yerring was well past the brink of going under and has somehow survived but for how long, heritage was well below par in condition so only 1 real competitor who was almost full and eastern has a waiting list....so it makes pretty good business sense if you can get it to get another 10% revenue for no extra cost if the market is willing to pay it....like anything not all the market is willing to pay the extra

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#947 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38229 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

If the article is even close to accurate in regard to membership levels (377 7 day, 401 5/6 day) why would there be a waiting list at all?

Those numbers wouldn't suggest full tee sheets, would they?

• koiom K Frenzy and Joe79 like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#948 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

And the sheets are not even close to being full on weekends for the most part. There’s some varying figures floating about re the waiting list but I don’t believe it’s anywhere near as substantial as some will have you believe, just my gut feel.

IRT the subs, they’d want to be really careful testing that market. There were a number of non renewals in July when subs jumped 4.9% on the back of 3.6% (?) the previous year. No doubt the waiting list gave them comfort but perhaps that waiting list that signed up before the subs jumped also thought it to be too rich & chose not to accept? I know a handful of those people, they were people I nominated for membership. If the club was truly “not for profit” why raise the subs at all let alone introduce a $99 drainage levy on top? Baffling decision which cost them members. What really is holding them back is those long term members enjoying that 40-50% discount on subs. Once that finishes, are they really going to want to keep traveling out to Yering & back to play golf at $3k a year?

Yering meadows was absolutely dead in the water 12 months ago but is turning itself around by investing in the course and offering an affordable alternative to Eastern. Ditto Gardiners Run which I believe is now fully subscribed. Both clubs have no doubt benefited from those who fell out of Eastern at subs time in July.

Yering now has 700 playing members and from what I’ve seen, is heading in the right direction but what got them into strife was similar to what Eastern started doing, raising the fees each year with the security of the waiting list that quickly dissipated once given an invoice. The only mistakes Eastern didn’t make was making the course too difficult and negotiated the Mirvac $20m.

Will be interesting to see how much they raise the subs this time around.
  • Parmachine likes this

#949 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3111 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Will be interesting to see how much they raise the subs this time around.

They will be discounting subs soon enough if those membership numbers are correct and further attrition occurs.

#950 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Gardiners run has some drainage issues but is doing well because it has been designed and priced for the local market. Eastern has been designed for those living 40 minutes away. But those 40 minutes away can drive 15 minutes to Kew, Green Acres, Latrobe, Rosanna, Heidelberg and Riversdale. The old Eastern was a convenient challenging little course for the surrounding upper middle suburbs. Some of the committee at the time the relocation was proposed quickly moved to other golf courses in the area and other members decided to drive the straight roads down to Spring Valley and Keysborough rather than the winding roads out to Yering. 

Yering Meadows has slowly and painfully gone from a private members course to a public golf course with cheap green fees. Eastern will need a flexible mindset to survive.

Just a small thing I noticed on the Heritage website.

They state they are a private members club and the benefits of membership are:

Preferential members’ rates on all fitness classes

Access to exclusive Members’ Lounge
10% discount in all restaurants including Members’ Lounge.

If it's a members only club who are you getting preference over and if everyone is getting the discount then hasn't that price become the standard price?

• Madam likes this

#951 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

Gardiners run has some drainage issues but is doing well because it has been designed and priced for the local market. Eastern has been designed for those living 40 minutes away. But those 40 minutes away can drive 15 minutes to Kew, Green Acres, Latrobe, Rosanna, Heidelberg and Riversdale. The old Eastern was a convenient challenging little course for the surrounding upper middle suburbs. Some of the committee at the time the relocation was proposed quickly moved to other golf courses in the area and other members decided to drive the straight roads down to Spring Valley and Keysborough rather than the winding roads out to Yering. 
Yering Meadows has slowly and painfully gone from a private members course to a public golf course with cheap green fees. Eastern will need a flexible mindset to survive.

If it's a members only club who are you getting preference over and if everyone is getting the discount then hasn't that price become the standard price?

You should ring the club and find out, then report back
  • madness likes this

#952 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Too Easy - Yarra Lodge guests can access the golf courses.

• madness likes this

#953 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11047 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Too Easy - Yarra Lodge guests can access the golf courses.

Did that used to be the Sebel?
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#954 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4311 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

If the article is even close to accurate in regard to membership levels (377 7 day, 401 5/6 day) why would there be a waiting list at all?

Those numbers wouldn't suggest full tee sheets, would they?

It’s like the old queue out the front of the chevron at 900 with barely anyone yet inside , it’s an image thang
  • Goldy likes this

#955 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13160 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

The Chevron. God bless those sticky carpets and the Sunday Indy night memories.
  • WasabiPea_Shooter and Joe79 like this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event 

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#956 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

Did that used to be the Sebel?

Yes

#957 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Heard that Eastern is sand capping each fairway now.

#958 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11047 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Heard that Eastern is sand capping each fairway now.

Havent heard that one.

Doing a hell of a lot of drainage works and replacing all the sand in the bunkers
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#959 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

The sand from the bunkers is being used to top dress the fairways so if that is sand capping then yes!

Looking forward to playing the front 9 for the first time post the works on that 9 late last year tomorrow.

Pretty impressive that the south course got rank 47 and north course 67 in the golf Australia top 100
  • Madam and Parmachine like this

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#960 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8951 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

The sand from the bunkers is being used to top dress the fairways so if that is sand capping then yes!

Looking forward to playing the front 9 for the first time post the works on that 9 late last year tomorrow.

Pretty impressive that the south course got rank 47 and north course 67 in the golf Australia top 100

Agree the course is improving and has some great hole.

The rating sounds good on paper, I dont really put much credence on course ratings,the only thing is that the same panelists also rated Ranfurlie at 69 and Eynesbury at 88.

The panelist often do just do a paper vote rather then play the course.

The fact it was designed by Greg Norman would improve the potential rating.

• RobNewy, Francie, Itchy4Scratch and 1 other like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users