• Please log in to reply
939 replies to this topic

#31 Golfisgreat

Golfisgreat

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

Ok...so much for the address being 'under wraps' until all was official with i's dotted and t's crossed. It has, of course, since been confirmed that 215 Victoria Road, Yering is, in fact, the proposed location for the new ECG grounds. I still maintain that getting planning approval through is going to be a massive battle! There will be very little support of the proposal and copious objections...not only from residents local to the area, but also from those further down the line of the Yarra river. Yet another golf course (coz ECG will be the FOURTH within a 5km radius) in the area draining massive amounts of water from the Yarra River to upkeep greens is going to be a very contentious issue. Wait until the Greenies of Warrrandyte and the likes further down the line of the Yarra hear about this!!! Trouble is a brewing for EGC I feel.......

#32 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

Ok…so much for the address being ‘under wraps’ until all was official with i’s dotted and t’s crossed. It has, of course, since been confirmed that 215 Victoria Road, Yering is, in fact, the proposed location for the new ECG grounds.

I still maintain that getting planning approval through is going to be a massive battle! There will be very little support of the proposal and copious objections…not only from residents local to the area, but also from those further down the line of the Yarra river.

Yet another golf course (coz ECG will be the FOURTH within a 5km radius) in the area draining massive amounts of water from the Yarra River to upkeep greens is going to be a very contentious issue. Wait until the Greenies of Warrrandyte and the likes further down the line of the Yarra hear about this!!!

Trouble is a brewing for EGC I feel…....

The word is that there will be recycled water or grey water or whatever it's called available to the club to use at the new site. I don't think they'll need to be pulling anything from the river so the greenies won't be able to play that card... I asume you're counting the 2 courses at Heritage in your 4 courses in the area? Make that 4 1/2 if you count the 27 at Croydon or minimum of 5 if Eastern put in 27 holes or more...

#33 happyhooker1975

happyhooker1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

I drove past Yering Meadows at 11.30am on Sunday morning. The fog was that thick you could barely see the clubhouse from Victoria Road & I have heard this is a regular occurance in the colder months. I had considered joining but this would certainly make me think twice. There is no way the majority of the morning field would have got on at all. Wonder if EGC has considered this

#34 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

Members at Heritage have same problem, some days the fog doesnt lift till midday !

#35 Golfisgreat

Golfisgreat

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Having the fog lift by midday is a good day out at Yering...many days it does not lift AT ALL !!! I hope EGC members enjoy a cold, damp, and foggy environment coz that is exactly what they will get out at Yering from mid autumn to mid spring! As such one would also hope that hunting around for their balls is one of their favourite past times as they will be spending a considerable amount of time and effort doing so!! ;o) Oh, and then, of course, there is the dust to put up with during the dry months...and not to mention the flys! I went to a function at the cottages during summer and the flys were horrendous! People at the function were accidently gobbling up those little protein pills (flys) left right and centre - was horrible!!

#36 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

I think your being a touch negative about EGC new track. Lets decide once it is done. On a side topic (I don't know how to start a forum) im looking at joining a golf club with Heidelberg being the closest one to my house. I have seen some comments on here but none are up to date. And before the sandbelt guys start telling me about how its a 'mudtrack' etc I understand, but i wanna play somewhere close to home so it allows me to practice as well. Im gunna have a round on there and see if i like the hilly layout but I guess I wanna know a bit about the club. Also im a young guy and it seems HGC dont offer anything off their memberships that other courses do like Eastern and some Sandbelt ones. Any help appreciated.

#37 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

Heidelberg are having a few finace problems, memebrs have been asked to "donate" a sum of money around the $500 mark. Good track none the less

#38 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Hot Pies. It always worries me when clubs are doing things like that or threatening to sell off land. Thats how the Eastern started and now they are moving altogether. hmmm, looking forward to having a hit on the track tho.

#39 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

I've got a mate who is a memeber at H/berg. He thought about leaving, but only other choice would be Rossana or Hertiage, doesnt like either. Dues of around $2200 for 7 day, joining of I think $1000 ish Walk up start for 7 day I'm pretty sure, anyway enjoy your round there

#40 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, dues are pretty reasonable I think at Berg. Rosanna are asking for around 3k to join which is a joke as I don't believe it would be that much better than HGC if at all. However if your starting to have to 'donate' a lazy $500 every now and again then that could add up!

#41 happyhooker1975

happyhooker1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

I have not played Heidelberg for a long time, however I do recall it being a bloody hard walk up plenty of hills. Also a lot of blind shots if my memory serves me correct. I think hilly golf courses (Waverley, Eastern and Heidelberg come to mind) are going to find it difficult long term because once you hit 60-65 age it becomes bloody hard work I'd imagine. I have heard Waverley has lost a lot of members because of this, going to clubs like Kingswood, Ranfurlie, Cranbourne etc. Waverley has been trying to move for a long time now without luck, maybe they should consider buying Waterford Valley, which is curently up for sale

#42 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Waterford Valley is a massive walk with a few of the hole an easy 150M walk from green to the next tee. Just a good public course waterford valley

#43 happyhooker1975

happyhooker1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Agree but an easy flat walk compared to the hills on 4, 9, 12, 14, 17 and 18 at Waverley.

#44 Domi

Domi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

Yeah I have heard Berg is hilly and ive played Eastern and it's also on the hilly side. Being young, that doesn't bother me. Its good to play with the ball above/below your feet, makes you a better player in the long run. Point taken tho on the oldies, its not ideal for them.

#45 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

Agree but an easy flat walk compared to the hills on 4, 9, 12, 14, 17 and 18 at Waverley.

9 & 18 are down hill I'm pretty sure, arent they ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users