889 replies to this topic

#16 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

I would expect the main concern for VCAT would be the survival of another club in that location. The difference between Eastern and the other clubs out there is that Eastern will be completely self sufficient when they open the doors. They will not need to canvas for members at any stage (Croydon is currently advertising on the radio) due to the large cash surplus they will have left over from the sale of the Doncaster property and development of the new site.
The main concern for VCAT in the event someone objected and took it there would be whether or not it meets the relevant provisions of the applicable planning scheme. The impact on surrounding clubs is not relevant. I would be betting they would be canvassing for members pretty quickly after settling at the new course. Those cash piles have a habit of disappearing very quickly. I'd bet a pile of existing members will not like the new course/be prepared to travel/etc and resign in short order.

#17 nick21

nick21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

Played pennant at Eastern last Sunday. It would be close to the worst course I have ever played.

#18 pinelimesplice

pinelimesplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Played pennant at Eastern last Sunday. It would be close to the worst course I have ever played.

lol, I was considering joining...

#19 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Lost did you?

#20 RideTheWave

RideTheWave

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

To those who asked above in regards to Eastern's new course location, it couldn't be closer to Yering Meadows. As for the VCAT decision, well things only get to VCAT if a) council knocks back application; or b) objections from the community. Given there is a precedence now set for a new course to be given approval through local council, Eastern would be naive not to follow exactly the same specs as Croydon. Either way though, you would expect similar objections from constituents of the the shire to any decision which has a major impact on the localised community of Yering. VCAT's mandate is to look at the decision making process of the local council in respect to relevant planning laws (as mentioned above) and, to take into account broader considerations as well. Also, to clarify the above, Croydon did own all the land at the previous site, - did so since 1925 I think. Obviously now owned by Australand. If all things go perfectly for Eastern, they should have a magnificent site, by 2014. Will add a new dimension to the golfing area.

#21 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Eastern is quite close to me. Played once as a green fee player on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Hardly anyone else about. Never been even vaguely tempted to go back again.

#22 happyhooker1975

happyhooker1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Can anyone elaborate on the Chirnside move. Looking at a possible block of land out that way. The site at the old CGC is an option but would be also intersested to know if the same deal is going to go ahead at Chirnside. Anyone?

#23 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Can anyone elaborate on the Chirnside move. Looking at a possible block of land out that way. The site at the old CGC is an option but would be also intersested to know if the same deal is going to go ahead at Chirnside.

Anyone?

All rumors still, isn't it ?

#24 RideTheWave

RideTheWave

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

HH75: Chirnside's option on land is also in Victoria Rd, but not as far down as Yering Meadows (CGC) or the proposed site for Eastern. As for proposed housing development site at Chirnside, can't provide anything further apart from the fact, they seem a long, long, way from anything at the mo. At least with the Australand development at the old CGC, you are dealing with reality.

#25 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

I reckon Chirnside will fold or merge before they relocate. Last I heard they only have 70-80 7-day members...

#26 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Eastern is quite close to me. Played once as a green fee player on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Hardly anyone else about.

Never been even vaguely tempted to go back again.

Reverse every natural instinct you have and do just the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing. – BEN HOGAN, POWER GOLF

Haha, i thought i was the only one. It's an old ladies course. They rule over there. Did not see another man, young or old the whole day. And no, it wasnt ladies comp day.

#27 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

Eastern is quite close to me. Played once as a green fee player on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Hardly anyone else about.

Never been even vaguely tempted to go back again.

Reverse every natural instinct you have and do just the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing. – BEN HOGAN, POWER GOLF

Haha, i thought i was the only one. It’s an old ladies course. They rule over there. Did not see another man, young or old the whole day. And no, it wasnt ladies comp day.

Old ladies course? I'd like to see you shoot a decent score round there. Have a look on a Wednesday or the weekend when comps are actually on. This is when I've played it and there were plenty of people around. I guess most clubs are relatively quiet outside of comp times (apart from Kew which is quiet during comp times!).

#28 Bio

Bio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Eastern, what a great test of golf, playing first time was great fun. I really enjoyed the fact you had to place your drive in the right position. If you weren't you got punished. Can't wait to have another crack there.

#29 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

Eastern,
what a great test of golf, playing first time was great fun.
I really enjoyed the fact you had to place your drive in the right position. If you weren’t you got punished.
Can’t wait to have another crack there.

Mechanics are a bi-product of biomechanical function

Better make it quick because I've heard it's about to be put tender!!!

#30 Pherst

Pherst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

put to* tender it should read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users