57 replies to this topic

#1 Benji

Benji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:21 AM

I played Eynesbury today. It really is in the middle of nowhere! It like red dirt and brown crops until all of a sudden you are surrounded by trees and green (yes green) lawn. The whole estate is run on recycled water so they are litereally showering themselves in the stuff. Even though we are in the middle of a drought the course is in great condition for a public course... It puts Albert Park and Brighton to shame. The course is over 6ks long. I carry my bag and walked the entire course in 35 degree heat. I was definately feeling the strain but had a great time. Very wide, big open course but very punishing to wayward shots. My great first 9 holes was let down by a few errors that were severely punished by the course on the back. All in all a very challenging, fun course to play. Well worth the trip but take some extra balls, aerogard and yr walking shoes!

#2 Abdul_Brown

Abdul_Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

Was it windy at all? Everytime i have played there it has blown a gale.

#3 Benji

Benji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

For the first 15 holes there was zero wind. Not even a puff. For the final 3 holes there were a few small gusts starting, but besides being hot it was as perfect a day for golf as you could ask for.

#4 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Big effort on walking & carring the bag in those conditions, how was the 1st beer?

#5 buzz

buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Played Eynesbury two weeks ago and going back on Saturday. ( It's not so much in the middle of nowhere when you live in the North- Western Suburbs :-). They must have trucked enormous amounts of dirt into the place. As you're driving there, as described by Benji, everywhere you look around, the terrain is as flat as a tack. Yet the golf course is full of mounds etc and some of the bunkering is spectacular. Very wide fairways, but miss and you are penalised severely on most holes. Ultra thick rough that is green and thick. No whispy hay. Some really excellent holes. Love the 8th and 15th ( par 3's) Would like the greens to be a bit faster, but otherwise it is fast becoming a favourite. It has been in excellent condition both times I've played it. Watch out for the snakes though!! Super effort to walk it Benji. Being a "modern" course, some of the walks from tee to green are quitre long.

#6 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Havent played it yet, but have it does get very windy out there. Any info or feedback wold be good

#7 Hawkers2013

Hawkers2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2698 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Its a nice track with loads of good holes. Its not been that busy on any of the days that I have been there. Its a pretty long walk. It has been laid out in a rough figure of 8 to maximise real estate frontage which means you get the wind from a good variety of angles. The fairways are generally very wide with a bit of a rough/buffer zone. Go outside this area you will struggle to find your ball on a lot of holes. In spite of the fairway width to get he best angles for approach you need to be quite precise with your tee shots. Its pretty nasty from the back tees, especially if it blows. They have a couple of other less demanding tee options. A couple of the holes and the 10th hole in particular are very challenging for less skilled players.

#8 Cheetah

Cheetah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I can't wait to play there and thanks for the heads up on the snakes!

#9 Benji

Benji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

Big effort on walking & carring the bag in those conditions, how was the 1st beer?

It was like it was poured by god himself.. I sucked back two Hieniken stubbies so quick I swear I felt the glass buckle! As Buzz pointed out the fairways are very wide.. This certainly does not mean you can just open up and launch away. Some serious thought has gone into the strategic lay out of this course regardless of which tees you play from this is a very challenging track. If you see your ball go into the long rough, start reaching for a new ball as you walk towards it because you have about a 10% chance of finding it even if you have a solid landmark. The first cut of short rough on the edge of the fairways is also very hungry! I only lost 2 balls for the round but my brother went through about 8.. The course really kicked his ass. When you take a drop into the short rough it will nestle down deep every time leaving you a nasty shot out. I really enjoyed the front 9 especially holes 1, 2 and 3. The pro in the shop warned me about snakes but we didnt see any.. There are a few emergency intercoms placed along the course. The numerous staff doing course maintenance were all friendly and courteous. They all switched off any equipment they were using and quietly stood aside when taking a shot. What impressed me the most about the course was the constant use of optical illusion. So often bunkers are used to trick you on your yardages and it works! Quite a few times I hit a shot thinking it was perfect heading straight for the flag only to see it drop a club short.. Into a bunker. I took my iphone on the course and used the internet to bring up the course website and view hole layout and advice for playing each hole before teeing off. I highly recommend doing this or printing the hole descriptions before going. The pro thought it was a great idea too. This should help keep you out of the brutal rough and enjoy a great course. Oh yeah. Take sunscreen. My legs are scorched as I type this.

#10 Benji

Benji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Just on traffic. Was very quiet. Did not have to wait on a single hole. Let one single fella play through and that was it. So good when its like that!

#11 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

Thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've played the last 2 rounds with Buzz, he has shot 82 and 80 whilst I shot 110+ both times, so maybe a different perspective from him. The bunkers are awesome. Visually. As Benji said they are optical illusions much of the time. At my level the 1st rough cuts me up, it's a lost shot. The fairway bunkers are similar. The greens have excellent contours and should be brilliant if / when the greens speed up. As for the long rough........... I was doing very well finding balls the first time we played. Then I found out after the game that there are plenty of red bellies and eastern browns about. I can't believe how many dry creek beds I scavenged through that day. The 2nd time we played there, there was 4 of us. With the rule being any balls in the long grass were lost (for time saving, and to avoid death) We must have gone through 36 balls easy. Buzz sees the fairway bunker 200 from the tee as a lovely thing to drive over. I just crap myself. :) And the wind tests on a couple of holes, but it's not that bad. Tip, don't take aerogard that attracts flies.

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20000 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

how good is the 17th green with the 2 tiers. it's about a 1m incline have tried putting up from the bottom tier and rolled off into the bunker on the right. bugger

#13 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

how good is the 17th green with the 2 tiers.
it’s about a 1m incline
have tried putting up from the bottom tier and rolled off into the bunker on the right.
bugger

"Will the real slim shady, please stand up"?

Easily 2m. Each time we have played we've had a cheeky betting putt from the very top. That's where the slowness shows up. Most putts should just roll straight off but they never do.

#14 Hawkers2013

Hawkers2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2698 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

I know Bushranger Social Golf Club are having a comp there this coming Sunday so if anyone wants to play there I am sure Matt Pitt could fit a few more in. http://www.bushrangergolf.com.au

#15 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

I know Bushranger Social Golf Club are having a comp there this coming Sunday so if anyone wants to play there I am sure Matt Pitt could fit a few more in.

http://www.bushrangergolf.c...

Line I'd play with a hawks supporter after 'that' day! Ppppffffttttttt !!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users