6 replies to this topic

#1 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

18th today, a guy in the group smacked his tee shot way past the green, off the footpath and up into the verandah of the clubhouse. OOB. A guy on the verandah threw his ball back down near the green. He put a new ball in to play and holed out with it. In the club after a bunch of people were claiming he didn't have to play 3 off the tee, he could have played the returned ball. One particular guy was adamant, hearing this was the case from a 'rules guru' at the club, and quoted Nick Faldo in the World Matchplay doing it. I disputed this despite 3 guys constantly telling me I was wrong. Getting home and looking up the rulebook, it seems the even if the ball was still moving, the note to 19-1 would apply and the committee would make the call in equity - which would surely be OOB due to the incredibly unlikely chance of the ball bouncing around up there and returning back in play without intentional action. Am I wrong here? What was the Faldo situation?

#2 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

You can't play a ball deliberately returned to the course as it lies. If the ball was deflected by an outside agency, no problem, but here the ball was picked up and thrown onto the course, and that is not where it would have ended as a result of the stroke. As you say yourself - if the ball only by the freakest of accident could have returned to the course, you must replay the stroke. Any doubt goes to the player in a situation like this, but it does not sound as if there was any doubt :-) BTW - what was the Faldo situation?

#3 Johanna_C

Johanna_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationNetherland

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

Steb, when a ball ends up OOB, the player must play another ball from the spot he last played the original ball from, adding 1 penalty stroke to the score. See Rule 27-1b. After the new ball has been played the player is lying 3.

#4 trysil

trysil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

As far as I recall, it was many years ago in the (now defunct) World Match Play at Wentworth. Faldo's ball went over the green, and there was a noticeable delay before it was thrown back onto the green by a spectator. I remember it being shown on news clips or sports shows at the time - I think Faldo's opponent was an Australian BTW. I don't know the actual ruling on the incident - it was before my time - rules interest wise... Regards Trysil

#5 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4922 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

No-one knew if the ball was still moving or not when it was thrown Johanna - at least I had them admitting it couldn't be played if it had come to rest. Thanks RD - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! From what I've found on the Faldo incident, it was against Graham Marsh. Faldo was booed for not offering a half to Marsh after what trysil said happened. I can only assume the ruling stood because no-one saw the spectator throw the ball. I seem to remember something less severe in the just gone Ryder Cup - one of the American's balls had entered the woods and was heading towards OOB when it took some miraculous bounce back and had a spectator running after it to a good viewing position. Of course the doubt had to be given to the player here.

#6 Belligerant

Belligerant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

Faldo a prick??

#7 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

I just googled that. Nothing on the Ruling, and nothing surprising about Faldo :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users