#916 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:49 AM

I'm just caught on your posts while having my morning coffee.

This one is cool.

Now, I know, and live by, the "what happens on tour stays on tour" code.

But.

You must have some great memories of that trip with ya mates!

To be still playing for 'the cup' with them all these years later is, well, AWESOME!

A few years ago, around all our 40th's a few mates and I from high school started to meet up for our birthdays, and with that we do a triathlon together. It's an early morning surf, followed by 18 holes of golf and then beach fishing to finish out the day. The beers usually start the night before, and we're all usually a bit dusty when paddling out for the surf 'leg' of the event'. we don't have a 'trophy' as such, but with our 50th's all looming, I might try and organise one.

So, how'd ya trophy get it's name?

"Buggera Cup"? :o

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's true, what happens on tour stays on tour however the story behind the Buggera Cup isn't at all racy, scandalous or, in fact, involve buggery............not that there's anything wrong with that!

We all had a hunch that something would occur on the tour that would lend itself to the, at that time, un-named trophy. There were a few options, such as the "Cottee's Cup" following a punctured cordial bottle incident in my luggage, a play on words about a threesome with a couple of hot British back-packers in Airlie Beach or something about the pub fight we got into in Yeppoon. 

However, the naming rights come from a much more innocent incident. One of the boys on the trip was a through and through city boy and had never been out of SE QLD or done much traveling. We were playing a game at a course called Coral Cove which is in a place called Bargara Beach just near Bundaburg. For the life of him he just couldn't pronounce the word, "Bargara"and instead could only get out the word, "Buggera". Needless to say the local pro at Coral Cove did not appreciate his beloved location being called "Buggera" despite our mates best efforts to pronounce it correctly. His disliked it so much that he even found a way not to honor our discount vouchers!

So that was how the term, Buggera Cup was born.

• hack2489 likes this

#917 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:04 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's true, what happens on tour stays on tour however the story behind the Buggera Cup isn't at all racy, scandalous or, in fact, involve buggery............not that there's anything wrong with that!

We all had a hunch that something would occur on the tour that would lend itself to the, at that time, un-named trophy. There were a few options, such as the "Cottee's Cup" following a punctured cordial bottle incident in my luggage, a play on words about a threesome with a couple of hot British back-packers in Airlie Beach or something about the pub fight we got into in Yeppoon.

However, the naming rights come from a much more innocent incident. One of the boys on the trip was a through and through city boy and had never been out of SE QLD or done much traveling. We were playing a game at a course called Coral Cove which is in a place called Bargara Beach just near Bundaburg. For the life of him he just couldn't pronounce the word, "Bargara"and instead could only get out the word, "Buggera". Needless to say the local pro at Coral Cove did not appreciate his beloved location being called "Buggera" despite our mates best efforts to pronounce it correctly. His disliked it so much that he even found a way not to honor our discount vouchers!

So that was how the term, Buggera Cup was born.

So, it's the Bargara cup sponsored by speech therapy!

Classic.

See, that's the type of story or article the golf magazines and golf shows should be including. Making golf appealing to a wider more mainstream audience would have to help the growth of the game.
  • BuggeraCup likes this

#918 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Played again this morning, this time at Montgomerie Golf Club which is a decent course but probably one of my least favorite in Dubai. Conditions were good again but I didn't really have time to get a decent warm-up done. 

Despite the lack of warm-up I started off okay, my driving was pretty solid but I was getting a few irons shots a bit fat - some of them very fat!!! That, along with 3-putting, is probably the most frustrating thing in golf in my opinion. 

Overall I played reasonably solid but my ball-striking was no where near as good as last week in the tournament. A couple of birdies were more than offset by a few bogies and I never really got anything going. 80 off the stick.........better than working I guess.

• Francie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users