#901 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:39 AM

Jeez mate, when does the sentence end, seems like you have been stuck in the desert for ages.

Ever play at Abu Dhabi GC (the flash one)? Aussie bloke is the Director of Golf

Malvern aka PerryGroves

Mate, I'm over here long term now. Probably be here for a few more years I reckon. The family loves it and the money and work-life balance is pretty hard to beat.

Yep, I've played Abu Dhabi National a few times now. Good, tough, long course usually in pretty epic condition. I didn't know an Aussie was running the show, I might try and get in his good books!

#902 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:25 AM

Yas Links down in Abu Dhabi was the venue todays hit-out. This is a great course that is a faux-links but the condition always disappoints me. Not that it is in bad condition, in fact its always in great condition and that's the problem. They pump so much water onto it to keep the course lush and green that the course is always too soft instead of firm and fast which really negates the way the course was designed to be played.

I hit the ball great today with good length and a great ball-flight. I hit 10/14 fairways and 11 greens in regulation. However my putting and short game let me down again today. I always seem to struggle at Yas Links on and around the greens probably because the grass variety is different to any of the other courses around here. My poor short game lead a +7, 79 off the stick today but it probably should have been a bit better. 

• iRON MiCK likes this

#903 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

I'm currently back in Australia on holidays visiting family and friends over Christmas. It's actually the first time that I've been back in Oz in nearly 2.5 years so it's good to be back. Like a true golf tragic, I even dragged the clubs back with me from Dubai hoping to get a few hits in.

Three of my closest friends and I play for a trophy that we have named the "Buggera Cup" (hence my iseek forum name). It all stemmed from when we were Uni students together and working together on the Gold Coast as young guys and we decided to do a golf trip together. So we packed up one of the guys old commodore sedan and drove from the Goldie to Cairns and back over a couple of weeks playing golf everyday and drinking and chasing chicks every night! We even bought a cheap trophy for that trip that we played for and that competition continues to this day almost 20 years later. It's a great excuse to get together whatever chance we get regardless of where we are in the world or what's happening in our lives so it's a great tradition with my closest mates.

This latest iteration of the "Buggera Cup" was played at Robina Woods (or Palmer Gold Coast as its called now). We used to play there a lot in our younger days but I hadn't played there in maybe 10 years I reckon. It's a really nice course though that is tight off the tee with trees lining every hole, a bit of water in play but it's not overly long. The course was also in really nice condition as well although the greens were a lot slower than what I'm used to in Dubai.

I hit the ball great all day. My driving especially was awesome which is really important around Robina. My irons were good also but I probably didn't make as many putts as I could have. I started and finished the round with the same ball which is no easy feat around that course when playing off the tiger tees.

In the end I shot a +5, 77 off the stick which included 11/14 fairways and 11 greens in regulation. We have our own unique handicapping system in our comp to intentionally keep things volatile and to make it hard for someone to create a winning dynasty regardless of their AGU handicap.

I'm pleased to say that I managed to hang on for a win in our "major" by 1 shot nett despite the fact that I was giving one of the guys a 23 stroke head start!!!
  • Commish, CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and 1 other like this

#904 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

Then on Monday a group of us spent the night up at Kooralbyn Resort near Beaudesert behind the Gold Coast. The course only re-opened a few years back and was one of the first dedicated, destination golf courses in the country. It's an interesting design, carved through the Aussie bush but there a quite a few tight, fiddly, blind holes so it really does take a fair bit of local knowledge. Again, I had played there a few times previously and have a good memory of most courses I play but it was probably closer to 15 years since I had last played it.

Just like the Robina Woods game I played the entire round with the same, one ball which is pretty good going. I didn't hit it quite as pure as I did two days earlier but my putting this time was dreadful. I couldn't get a feel for the speed and even if I did my green reading wasn't great. They were really slow to me and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I had over 40 putts for the round!

Heaps of fairways and greens in regulation but if you can't get it in the hole then it doesn't really matter does it. It all added up to a +11, 83 off the stick even though I hit it a lot better than that score suggests. However, it was great to spend the night out there with a group of mates in a typical Aussie course in the Aussie bush with heaps of kangaroos around.
  • Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#905 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Another chance for a game on Tuesday, this time as a sing,e player at Brookwater in Brisbane. This is one of my favourite course in QLD and I actually used to be a member there up until about 8 years ago so I know the course well and have a soft spot for it. It is designed by Greg Norman and is carved though hilly terrain and heavy eucalyptus forest which can make it unforgiving. The bunkering is also typical aggressive, in-your-face, Norman style traps with tricky greens so it can be a tough place to score. It's one of those courses that is visually very intimidated, especially off the tee, but once you learn where to miss it you realise that the course plays a lot wider than it initially looks. Also, they've softened the course since I last played it but clearing a lot of the scrub and under-brush and also enlarging all of the greens and clearing the green surrounds. This has made the course much more enjoyable and playable but has also had the added benefit of improving the condition of the course by opening it up and allowing more sunlight onto the greens and fairways.

I started the front nine pretty well. Unfortunately I didn't really make any putts, in fact I missed an 8ft for bird on 3 and then a 6 footer for another birdie on the 4th. If you don't take advantage of those opportunities at Brookwater, eventually she will bite back and that's what happened on the back nine.

6/7 fairways and 5 greens in reg on the front nine was followed up by 4/7 fairways and only 2 GIRs on the back which will never get it done around Brooky. 39 + 44 for an 83 and another lesson that you need to be on top of you game around here. Still great to play it again and remember what a beautiful (yet challenging) course it is.
  • Commish, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#906 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15197 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

Welcome to hot humid day tomorrow. You may feel like your are back in Middle East during winter? Happy holidays
  • BuggeraCup likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#907 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

The in-laws live up at Bribie Island so I took the opportunity today for one more game while on holidays with a couple of mates at Pacific Harbour. I really like this course and I try and play it whenever we stay with the in-laws. Nice day today, fairly warm and with a decent breeze blowing as well. 

I hit the ball great right from the start, especially off the tee. I was driving it long and fairly straight which is pretty important around Pac Harbour! My irons were okay as well but I felt like I wasn't scoring as well as I was hitting it..........story of game recently it seems. In my defence, I was getting a few unlucky breaks. One of the worse plugged lies in a bunker that would have been tap-in distance if the wind had drifted it 1ft further to the right as I expected and an unplayable ball off the tee despite the ball being 6 inches off the short grass. These all lead to a few dropped shots. I did manage to birdie the over-water, Par 3, 7th and the tough finishing hole. 

Stats for today were;

11/14 fairways 

8 greens in regulation (didn't take advantage of my driving as much as I should have!)

31 putts (hit lots of great putts actually....but they didn't all go in!!!)

40 + 39 = 79

A good ball-striking round but just need to get better at getting the ball in the hole. 

Pacific Harbour was in excellent condition if anyone was considering playing it over the holidays.

#908 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:18 AM

Been back in Dubai for a couple of weeks now and back into the routine of work. I hadn't played since the day before New Years but I got out for my first game of 2019 at the Els Club. I was running late getting out of work so I didn't really have time for a warm-up (I think I've made that mistake before.....).

Despite playing pretty solid golf back in Australia, it was like I had never played the game before at the start of the round! I had two doubles in the first 4 holes. I played the Par 5, 5th pretty well, leaving myself 7ft for Eagle after a pure driver and hybrid. Other than that it was pretty much more rubbish, including a lost ball triple and even my short game was average. 

Another final highlight was on the Par 5, 18th. Another good drive and this time a 3-wood left me 10m of the green and about 15m to the pin. I managed to chip-in for another closing Eagle and my second Eagle of the round (and of 2019!). I don't think I've ever had 2 Eagles in one round before. Unfortunately, as exciting as that was, it still added up to an 85 off the stick which shows you how badly I was whacking it around!

• Francie, iRON MiCK and Tochakka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users