#856 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:09 AM

A Christmas Eve hit out today, played in a decent winter fog that hung around most of the day, at Arabian Ranches in calm conditions. I started off hitting the ball really solid, especially with the driver. Irons were only okay but I was still hitting plenty of greens for the most part and putting was solid. Even though I didn't actually hole a heap of them I felt like I had a good feel for line and speed.

I birdied the 1st, which is always nice but I disappointingly bogied 8 (which is an 'easy' Par 5) and 9 to turn in +2, 38. Back nine was more of the same including a birdie on the drivable Par 4, 15. Again though I finished poorly and bogied both 17 and 18 to come home the same in +2, 38.

Overall, I hit the ball great, although I did start hooking a few towards the end of the round but a +4, 76 is always a good score - especially on this tough course off the back markers. 

+4, 76 (2 birdies, 10 pars, 6 bogies)

11/14 fairways

10 GIRs

32 putts (1 x 3-putt)

3/8 up and downs

• iRON MiCK likes this

#857 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Played a couple of rounds over the last week so I'll combine the two into one write-up.

Played on New Year's Eve with a few mates at Arabian Ranches in windy conditions. I drove the ball really well again today, which is the strength of my game. Again though my irons were a little inconsistent. I putted well, although I didn't make a lot of long putts , I made everything that I should have made (inside 6ft) and rolled my long putts really nicely. I birdied the last (my only birdie), for a respectable +9, 81 in a round that was solid other than a terrible triple bogey 8 on the 'easy' Par 5, 3rd.

On Monday I finished up work nice and early and snuck in a round at the Els Club on my own. Again it was quite windy, probably a 2-club wind and the temps were quite cool. I started really well with 6 consecutive Pars to be Even after 6. The 7th is a short but tough Par 4 with water all the way down the left side. It is something of a bogey hole for me and in this case it was actually a double-bogey hole when I putt my second shot into the piss! After that I kind of lost it a bit mentally and, although I still played okay, I seemed to hit one poor shot per hole. I was on the bogey train and just leaked oil all the way in to finish +8, 80. Again, not a terrible score but the last 12 were played in +8 which is clearly not good enough for a sub-5 handicapper!!!

• RobNewy, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#858 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

I've been a little quiet with my posts lately but I have actually been playing a few games. I've had a mate, who is a Pro on the European Tour, staying with us for the last couple of weeks while he played in the HSBC Abu Dhabi event and the Dubai Desert Classic.

He wanted a few games to shake off the rust as these were his first tournaments since the PGA at Royal Pines. It's always good to play with a great player as you learn a lot just by watching them and he's always happy to pass on a few tips. Games we played were;

Els Club - shot 78 and hit it pretty solid and putted great. Couple of bad holes really cost me.

Al Zorah - 77. Nice conditions and everything was pretty solid.

Trump International - tough course and I didn't hit it terribly. Putting was terrible though, including 4 X 3-putts for an 81 (Par 71).

My mate missed the cut in Abu Dhabi but had a decent week in Dubai and was actually briefly leading during the 2nd round!
  • RobNewy, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#859 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34589 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

Just watching the replay now at work.   Great finish.  

• BuggeraCup likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#860 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:17 AM

Finally got around to having another hit today with a round at the Els Club. It was my first round since my mate was here for the desert swing of the European Tour. My warm-up on the range was very rusty and inconsistent and it didn't change much when I went to the course to be honest. I guess it was to be expected with my lack of recent play but that doesn't stop me being pissed off with the way I hit it. 

I was missing my driver both ways, snap hooking my 3-wood and mostly getting my irons a bit thin. On the positive side I felt like I was putting alright. To be honest, the ball striking wasn't completely diabolical but, combined with a decent wind today, I was missing the greens in some terrible places. With the greens being lightning quick it meant that I was making more bogies than pars.

No birdies at all today. At least the back nine was slightly better in terms of both scoring and ball striking. Back to the range I guess!

44 + 39 = 83.

• GhettoGolfer and Francie like this

#861 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:08 PM

Played twice in the last week, both times at Arabian Ranches in nice warm weather with the standard decent afternoon breeze.

The first round I drove it great, hitting all but two fairways, and one of those misses (the 18th hole) was by about 1 foot. My irons were pretty decent as well although I was tending to slightly push them. That being said, I still managed to hit 11 greens which is decent. The greens and surrounds at Ranches are terrible at the moment though for some reason and it turned the short game into a bit of a lucky dip. As a result, even though I felt like I was rolling them alright, I didn't really make anything of any note.

Other than a bladed bunker shot on 14 which lead to an unplayable and a triple bogey, it was all pretty solid. Ended up shooting an 82 which I thought wasn't just reward for how I hit it but not too bad considering I had a triple and the greens were sh*t.

#862 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

Yesterday though was ordinary and I don't really know why. My ball striking and address just felt off for some reason. I still hit 9 of 13 fairways which sounds alright but my driving still didn't feel great. My irons were abysmal though, I don't really recall one iron shot that I would consider pure. Plenty of them were skinny as well which is somewhat better than fat I guess but still not the way to play good golf. 

Again the greens and surrounds were ordinary and, because I missed a lot of greens, I was caught out several times by the unpredictability of the fringes. Some stopped dead in their tracks, others skidded through and some acted like I thought they should. On top of that, putting was a bit of a lucky dip which didn't result in any longer putts being holed.

I ran out of time and light to finish my round, which didn't really upset me to be honest such was my demeanour with my ball striking. By the time I called stumps after 16 holes I was +12 so not really a lot to take away from the round to be honest.

#863 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

I played yesterday again at Arabian Ranches having not played or scored well there the last few rounds. It was particularly windy again yesterday, probably a two club wind.

I felt like I hit it pretty well. In fact I drove it really well except for a short stretch in the middle of the round where I hit a couple of roping draws (bordering on snap hooks!). I only missed 3 fairways for the entire round which was good. 

My irons are never as strong as my driving but I actually felt like my ball striking with the irons was pretty good today though. That being said, with the strong wind I still missed as many greens as I hit but most of them were still pretty close to the putting surface.

Today though my putting was unbelievable!!! I think I pretty much made everything inside 10ft. In fact, on the front 9 I went around in only 11 putts - seven 1-putts and two 2-putts. I had only 26 putts for the entire round.

Good putting invariably leads to good scoring and today was no different. 75 off the stick on a tough course in very tough conditions. I hit the ball pretty well but I've certainly hit the ball much better and scored much worse previously so it just goes to show what a strange game it is but also how important putting is!

• Weetbix and Francie like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users