BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

Getting to play a bit over there BC - nice bonus of the move

Not wrong mate, really enjoying it over here - especially the work/life balance which gives me more opportunity for golf. Other than the weather being pretty **** for 6 months of the year (at least it never rains I guses!).
  • Madambo likes this

#842 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:43 AM

I finally played my first game of golf since mid-July this week! The family and I went away for a few weeks over summer for the holidays and during our last week away I fell arse over *** and ended up dislocating my little finger. So after spending a few hours in a Croatian emergency room getting it reset and also a few stitches, it meant that I was unable to grip a golf club properly for several weeks!

However, it had healed sufficiently to swing the wrenches with a mate at the Els Club. As expected after such a long break, the game was rusty. I was missing it both ways and my ball striking was very inconsistent. That being said I did manage to make 3 birdies in the round including back-to-back birdies on 5 and 6. However I also made a triple on the 8th just to demonstrate my inconsistency!

In the end it all added up to an 80 which I wasn't too unhappy about considering my long lay-off. If anything it has really renewed my passion for the game seeing as I wasn't able to play for so long. Playing again next Monday!
  • Weetbix, RobNewy, Francie and 1 other like this

#843 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:18 AM

Late post, but I played again last week, this time off the tips at Arabian Ranches. In my opinion, off the back tees, this course is probably the toughest course in Dubai.

I started off hitting the ball about as well as I can possibly strike it. Driver and wedge to 3ft on the first lead to a birdie. I then had good looks at birdie from 8ft (2nd), 10ft (3rd) and 12ft (4th) but I failed to make any off them. Shortly after that started the long slog back into the wind from the 6th all the way to the far end of the course at the 14th when you turn for home with the wind at your back. I was still hitting it okay initially but it's just a really tough stretch of golf holes so there were invariably a few bogies thrown in. On top of that I started to lose a few drives to the left which lead to me leaking more oil.

I finished okay but the damage had been done. In fact I had 7 bogies in a row at one point which is not usually my style, I try and pride myself on grinding out Pars. In the end I ended up shooting a disappointing 83 off the stick which included 43 coming home.

I think the round could have been different if I had converted more of those early opportunities but that's no excuse - there was just a stretch of really poor golf in there on a tough course. Another round and shot at redemption next week.

#844 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

Played again at Arabuan Ranches on Monday with a mate. We're both pretty decent, single figure handicappers so we were hoping to drag each other along and play some good golf. Unfortunately, the opposite happened initially, we were both hitting it a little inconsistently and, on top of that, we weren't scoring any good either. I ended up going out in a disappointing 41, +5 off the stick.

The back nine was much better fortunately, the ball striking improved and I managed to sharpen up the short game and start scoring a little better also. I only had one birdie but came home in a much better +2, 38. Combined, it was a acceptable +7, 79 off the stick but my mate got me with a 77.

Playing at Trump International tomorrow.
  • Weetbix, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#845 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:14 AM

A mate and I had a hit at Trump International the other day. Trump is the newest course in Dubai, I've played it only once before but (despite being named after a f*@kwit) it is a very, very good course. I hate to say that it is a "links style" course (being as it's in the middle of the desert) but it does play quite different to most of the courses in this part of the world. It is set up very firm and fast and the fairway and greens are the same type of grass, just mowed a bit shorter, so you can play low, running shots or putt from well off the green with confidence. It is also usually quite affected by the wind so I do find it a very difficult course, especially off the tips from where we played it.  

My warm-up went great and I took that ball-striking form to the first tee. I was hitting the ball great but it's just a bloody tough course. I lost count of the number of times I had to hit Driver, 4 or 5-iron into a Par 4 green, and once I even had to hit a 3-wood into the green for my approach shot into the wind! That meant I always felt like I was trying to salvage par with a long range putt or trying to get up&down from off the green. 

I leaked a few shots on the tougher and longer front nine to turn in +5, 41. The back nine is slightly easier but I was still hitting the ball really well. I came home in a respectable +2, 37 to end up with a +7, 78 off the stick. I was pretty happy with that score and my ball-striking on a tough course in tough conditions.

As we were having a bite to eat and a beer after the round a couple of other mates called and said they were teeing off on the same course in an hour. Based on the way I finished my first round, I decided, what the hell, lets go around again. So I ended up playing 36 holes for the day. However, the second round was horrendous from a ball-striking point of view in comparison to the morning round. I don't know if it came down to a matter physical or mental fatigue but the swing and, consequentially, the scoring just wasn't there.

I even hit a ball out-of-bounds on the back nine which I don't remember doing in a long time (it was a terrible snap hook). I ended up shooting a disappointing +16, 87!!! I actually also played 36 holes without having a single birdie! Golf is such a funny and frustrating game, it was hard to believe that those two rounds were played on the same day because they were vastly different.

• Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#846 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

We had another hit today at Arabian Ranches. The weather has finally started to cool off, it was only 35 degrees this afternoon when we teed off (which feels a lot cooler than 45+ let me tell you) and there was also a nice breeze. I've been struggling with a bad case of flu or something for the last few days and I just can't shake it. All my joints were sore and my lower back felt really stiff and tight. As a result of that, my turn and subsequently, my swing was virtually non-existent. At times it looked like I had never played the game before! I hit two cold tops, I hit a lot of shots very thin and I missed shots both left and right. I started bogey-bogey-triple which was thanks to having to take an unplayable lie penalty!

I did manage to get a few Pars here and there and although there were no more blow-outs there were still plenty of bogies and I never really looked like getting a birdie. I turned in +8, 44 and came home in +7, 43 for a "beautiful" 87. I probably shouldn't have even played but even so, it was pretty disappointing and I really feel like I have to do some work on my swing at the moment.

#847 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

Played on Saturday at a course called Saadiyat Island down in Abu Dhabi, it's the second time I've played this track. Its a really nice course with a great layout right on the ocean. They also charge top dollar to play so with that in mind I was pretty disappointed with the condition of the course. Don't get me wrong, it was still in decent nick but you definitely get spoilt here with all of the courses usually in absolutely mint condition, I've regularly putted on worst surfaces in Australia than they call fairways over here. But with the onset of 'winter' (and I use the term lightly) over here, the bermuda grass has gone a bit dormant so the fairways were a little patchy with lots of divots and the greens were a little scruffy and quite grainy. Most of the courses here usually over-seed with rye grass in the winter to overcome this problem but Saadiyat hasn't for some reason.

It was also blowing a solid 20 knots on Saturday as well which made conditions very tough. I just didn't hit it very solidly though which will always bite you in a strong wind. I was constantly finding myself hacking out of the thick fescue off the fairway or leaving myself with tricky chip and pitch shots around the fast greens.

Only 1 birdie in the round but I also had 3 double bogies which lead to a 41-40 = 81 (+10). 

#848 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:11 AM

Had a hit at Al Zorah golf club on Tuesday, which is a really nice course designed by Jack Nicklaus about an hours drive north of my place in Dubai. My poor ball striking from the weekend at Saadiyat Island continued for this round. My contact was just poor and it was resulting in a weak and inconsistent ball flight. The front nine in particular was just ordinary and although it got better on the back nine it was still a disappointing round.

My stats weren't too bad off the tee, but that was more the result of Al Zorah being quite generous off the tee and the weather being beautifully calm than great work with the driver. My GIR stats were also pretty ordinary as well but my short game was really, really solid and when I took advantage of a short Par 4 and a shortish, downwind Par 5 on the back nine for Birdies I still had a pretty respectable score going. Unfortunately I finished 4 over for the last 5 holes to end up shooting a +7,  79 off the stick.

So it was an acceptable score but I'm getting frustrated by my poor ball striking at the moment and I know that it's just my short game and course management keeping me in the game at the moment. I suppose it could go one of two ways, I'll either find my ball striking again and shoot some really good scores or my short game will desert me and I'll have a blow out...........wonder which one it will be???

#849 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:29 AM

Long weekend here this weekend so a mate and I had a hit at the Els Club, which is a Dubai course designed by Ernie that is probably my favourite course in the city.

I had done a bit of work on the range to try and sort out my poor ball striking and I felt like I had found something with my set up. I'm pleased to say that my ball striking was back to the way it should be and the ball flight was strong, penetrating and long. 

I started with 4 solid Pars including a couple of good up and downs before I birdied the Par 5, 5th. I also really should have birdied the 6th as well but I slightly pushed my 6 footer for bird but was still happy to be -1 after 6. Unfortunately I made a mental error by taking driver off the tee on the tight 7th which found water and lead to a double but I bounced straight back by birdying the Par 5, 8th (missed my Eagle putt by an inch!) to turn in EVEN (36).

10 was a bit weird, as I took a double but didn't felt like I hit a bad shot at all on the hole believe it or not! Nice drive and pure 6-iron that just didn't drift back on the wind and kicked off into the desert/rough for an impossible pitch. Got one back on the Par 5 13th with a nice putt. 15 is the toughest hole on the course which I made harder by finding water off the tee and then chopping my way up the rest of the hole to eventually write down a Triple which was gutting! At least I finished strongly by getting birdie on the last which ended up as a +3, 75.

11/14 Fairways

11/18 GIRs

28 putts

It was a strange round. I birdied each of the four Par 5's which is great but I also had 2 x Doubles and 1 x Triple..........the rest were all Pars, I didn't even have a single bogey today. So I'm really happy with the great score, my ball striking was awesome (except on 7 and 15) and my short game and putting was great. Although I'm disappointed that I might have left a really, really low round out there today. 

• RobNewy, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

#850 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10670 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

Wjat are you doing over in Dubai?

#851 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:22 AM

Wjat are you doing over in Dubai?

Just got a flying job over here doing a bit of instructing. Been here for about 2.5 years so far.

• Madambo, RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

#852 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10670 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

Just got a flying job over here doing a bit of instructing. Been here for about 2.5 years so far.

Nice
What are you flying?

#853 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12550 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

Nice
What are you flying?

a job?
  • BuggeraCup likes this