#826 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

Played again this morning with a mate from work at the Fire Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates. Fire Course is the other course at this facility along with the Earth Course where I played on Friday. Both courses are designed by Greg Norman but the Fire Course is probably slightly easier (and shorter) but still an excellent course and in awesome condition with Norman's standard visually intimidating, deep fairway and green side bunkering.

I warmed up well but noticed immediately that I had left my putter and gap wedge at home courtesy of a evening practice session I did on the weekend. It was going to have to be a shared putter with my mate and hopefully don't leave myself 100 out too much!

I hit the ball beautifully right from the start. After a poor ball striking round in my last game I just focused on set-up and tempo and it all came back to me. In fact, I would go as far to say that the front nine at least was as good as I've ever hit the ball. I hit every fairway with good length and also hit 7 greens in regulation. Disappointingly I bogied both of the holes that I missed the green on but I offset those with a nice birdie on the 2nd but I missed two other genuine chances (including one from 8ft on the 1st and one from 4ft on the 5th!!!). So I went out in +1, 37 which is probably the worst score I could have made based on my ball striking.

Back nine wasn't quite as pure and I went through a rough patch on 11-13 courtesy of a couple of bad swings, two of which found fairway traps which are (depending where you end up in the bunker) usually a wedge out and start again. I finished strongly again though and came home in +4, 40 but still hit 5/7 fairways but only 4 greens.

All up a nice +5, 77 off the back markers with 12/14 fairways and 11 greens in reg. Despite a borrowed putter I actually felt like I putted well, despite a couple of aforementioned short misses, I didn't have any three-putts which is good. 

• Madambo likes this

#827 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Finally managed to fit in another game of golf today after being busy with work lately and having family visiting over the kids school holidays here. So I was excited to have a swing again after not even touching the sticks for over a month. My mate and I teed off early this morning in perfect, but already warm, conditions at the Els Club which is probably my favourite course here in Dubai. 

The course, as it always seems to be, was in immaculate condition but I don't know of the greenskeeper had been getting inspiration from watching the US Masters but the greens were as fast as I think I've putted on anywhere in my life! Downhill putts were like putting down a car bonnet and being asked to stop it halfway and even uphill putts looked like they were going to be perfect weight but still always managed to run out and extra 3-4 feet more than expected. 

I hit the ball pretty good off the tee and my iron play was also pretty solid although I did get a couple of shorter irons a little chubby which was frustrating. However, my problems were on and around the greens. With plenty of rust on my game from so little recent play, the pace of those greens soon had me crying for submission!

I ended up with three 3-putts but also failed to get up and down plenty and also struggled to make any putts of any consequence that I would normally back myself to make. All that just came down to the speed of the greens and my lack of confidence on them.

In the end I shot 41-40 for an 81 off the stick but it was probably the worse score I could of made considering I actually hit it pretty well. Good to be back playing though!

#828 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Played again this morning at the Els Club. Drove the ball really nicely again, I only ended up missing 4 fairways and three of those ended up safely in the first, short cut of rough. Iron play was pretty solid as well for the most part and I hit plenty of greens. However I made a few mental errors today and missed a few greens in places that are virtually impossible to get up and down from. Just like last week, the greens were still very, very quick although I felt like I putted pretty well. In spite of this I didn't make any putts of significant distance and I did three-putt once. 

I went out in +3, 39 including a double. On the back nine though I managed to rack up another 3 double-bogies to come home in +7, 43 which was disappointing. +10, 82 off the stick all up playing off the blue markers. I'm playing a tournament at this course next Wednesday so after playing it twice in the last two weeks I feel like I'm well prepared - lets see how I go........

#829 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9839 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Out of curiosity.

Is golf expensive in Dubai?

Are you a member anywere over there, or are you even allowed to be?

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users