#826 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

Played again this morning with a mate from work at the Fire Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates. Fire Course is the other course at this facility along with the Earth Course where I played on Friday. Both courses are designed by Greg Norman but the Fire Course is probably slightly easier (and shorter) but still an excellent course and in awesome condition with Norman's standard visually intimidating, deep fairway and green side bunkering.

I warmed up well but noticed immediately that I had left my putter and gap wedge at home courtesy of a evening practice session I did on the weekend. It was going to have to be a shared putter with my mate and hopefully don't leave myself 100 out too much!

I hit the ball beautifully right from the start. After a poor ball striking round in my last game I just focused on set-up and tempo and it all came back to me. In fact, I would go as far to say that the front nine at least was as good as I've ever hit the ball. I hit every fairway with good length and also hit 7 greens in regulation. Disappointingly I bogied both of the holes that I missed the green on but I offset those with a nice birdie on the 2nd but I missed two other genuine chances (including one from 8ft on the 1st and one from 4ft on the 5th!!!). So I went out in +1, 37 which is probably the worst score I could have made based on my ball striking.

Back nine wasn't quite as pure and I went through a rough patch on 11-13 courtesy of a couple of bad swings, two of which found fairway traps which are (depending where you end up in the bunker) usually a wedge out and start again. I finished strongly again though and came home in +4, 40 but still hit 5/7 fairways but only 4 greens.

All up a nice +5, 77 off the back markers with 12/14 fairways and 11 greens in reg. Despite a borrowed putter I actually felt like I putted well, despite a couple of aforementioned short misses, I didn't have any three-putts which is good. 

• Madambo likes this

#827 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Finally managed to fit in another game of golf today after being busy with work lately and having family visiting over the kids school holidays here. So I was excited to have a swing again after not even touching the sticks for over a month. My mate and I teed off early this morning in perfect, but already warm, conditions at the Els Club which is probably my favourite course here in Dubai. 

The course, as it always seems to be, was in immaculate condition but I don't know of the greenskeeper had been getting inspiration from watching the US Masters but the greens were as fast as I think I've putted on anywhere in my life! Downhill putts were like putting down a car bonnet and being asked to stop it halfway and even uphill putts looked like they were going to be perfect weight but still always managed to run out and extra 3-4 feet more than expected. 

I hit the ball pretty good off the tee and my iron play was also pretty solid although I did get a couple of shorter irons a little chubby which was frustrating. However, my problems were on and around the greens. With plenty of rust on my game from so little recent play, the pace of those greens soon had me crying for submission!

I ended up with three 3-putts but also failed to get up and down plenty and also struggled to make any putts of any consequence that I would normally back myself to make. All that just came down to the speed of the greens and my lack of confidence on them.

In the end I shot 41-40 for an 81 off the stick but it was probably the worse score I could of made considering I actually hit it pretty well. Good to be back playing though!

#828 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Played again this morning at the Els Club. Drove the ball really nicely again, I only ended up missing 4 fairways and three of those ended up safely in the first, short cut of rough. Iron play was pretty solid as well for the most part and I hit plenty of greens. However I made a few mental errors today and missed a few greens in places that are virtually impossible to get up and down from. Just like last week, the greens were still very, very quick although I felt like I putted pretty well. In spite of this I didn't make any putts of significant distance and I did three-putt once. 

I went out in +3, 39 including a double. On the back nine though I managed to rack up another 3 double-bogies to come home in +7, 43 which was disappointing. +10, 82 off the stick all up playing off the blue markers. I'm playing a tournament at this course next Wednesday so after playing it twice in the last two weeks I feel like I'm well prepared - lets see how I go........

#829 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10296 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Out of curiosity.

Is golf expensive in Dubai?

Are you a member anywere over there, or are you even allowed to be?

Cheers

#830 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:15 AM

A couple of months ago I won a voucher for two free rounds at Yas Links Course down in Abu Dhabi. It is the top rated course in the country (not my number 1 favourite though) and is a pretty tough track, especially when the wind blows like it often does there down by the water. Today was a public holiday off work so a couple of mates and I decided to hit it up early this morning before it got too hot.

Started off beautifully, in fact when I rolled in a downhill 20 footer on the first and lipped out an eagle putt on the Par 5, 2nd, I was -2 after 2 and everything was right with the world. I gave myself several more legitimate birdie holes over the next few holes and was still -2 after 6 but thats when the wheels started to fall off. I put one in the water on the tough Par 3, 8th and left myself with an impossible up and down on the 7th to finish the outward nine, double - double - bogey!!!

Back nine I still felt like I was hitting it well but I just continued to leak shots. In the end I ended up with +10, 82 which was disappointing after the start I got off to. I also felt that it wasn't really just reward for how well and long I was driving it off the tee.

Still a good day out on a top course and best of all.........the price was right!!!

Here's a couple of photos of the course which show how spectacular it is and how tough it could play in the wind.

#831 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

Yas-Links.jpg

• Francie and koiom K Frenzy like this

#832 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

yas-links-22-l.jpg

• Francie and koiom K Frenzy like this

#833 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:13 AM

Played yesterday after an early knock off from work at the Els Club, my favourite course here in Dubai. It was pretty windy, probably two clubs and pretty warm with the temp in the low 40's.

The first 4 holes were straight back into the wind and it was a tough slog but after bogeying the 1st I played really solidly. When I turned with the wind at my back I quickly birdied the 5th and 6th and then parred in to turn in -1, 35 and life was good.

The start of the back nine was back into the wind and it also a tough stretch of holes even in calm conditions. I was still swinging well though but I still made bogies on 10, 13 and 15. A final birdie on the downwind 5, 18th rounded off an awesome round.

Ended up with a +1, 73 for 41 stableford points!!!

I was swinging it nicely but certainly not significantly better than my previous rounds. Difference today was that I didn't make any huge errors and my chipping and putting was really sharp.
  • Francie likes this

#834 bill1978patt

bill1978patt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

Do they run comps over their like here in Aus, or are all your rounds purely social?

Great score by the way.

#835 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:14 AM

Do they run comps over their like here in Aus, or are all your rounds purely social?

Great score by the way.

Hey mate, sorry for the delay in responding.

No there's no weekly club comps as such here. It's not like back home where you can play a Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday comp at most members courses. Here it is more like the US system whereby the only comps are occasional bigger tournaments. These aren't usually run by the courses but usually by sponsors or the handicapping organisation. So mostly social golf for me at the moment, other than the odd 'tournament' but I do miss slugging it out for a pro shop voucher or a ball in the run-down!

#836 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Played with a few mates from work yesterday at the Els Club. We hit off fairly early but it was still almost 40 degrees by 8:00am. Just a social round but we decided to play a skins tournament in a two-man team format. It was my first game in while and I didn't feel like I was hitting it that well. I made a couple of great up & downs in the first couple of holes and then stuck a 9-iron to about 3 feet and holed the putt for birdie. Still struggled a bit with my swing but I hit enough good shots in between and never really got myself into any major trouble.

In the end I shot a pair of 38's for a very respectable 76. I had 2 birdies, 10 pars and 6 bogies so it was a pretty solid round. I putted great today as well which obviously helps even though I did 3-whack the last which was disappointing.

As for the skins, we were in front most of the day. I made a great par on the tough 15th and then got in my opponent's head with a bit of sledging which lead to him 3-putting. That got my partner 3 skins and ensured we won the day.

Edited by BuggeraCup, 27 June 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#837 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

Played yesterday at the Faldo course which is the second course at Emirates Golf Club where they host the Dubai Desert Classic (that's played on the Majills course though - not the Faldo). It's a tricky course, plenty of water in play and some of it is hidden as well. The greens are also very undulating as well. Overall, it's not my favourite course but it's still better than working.

After a bogey on the first I started hitting the ball really, really solidly. In fact from 2 through 7 I hit every fairway and green and my longest birdie putt was just outside 20ft. Unfortunately I didn't make any of them!!! I wasn't putting badly though, in fact I felt like I putted great, but they just didn't fall which happens sometimes. I started to get a little frustrated and that was just compounded when I put my tee ball in the water on the tough Par 4, 8th. Combine that poor shot with a three-putt and suddenly I had made a triple bogey and was +4 despite feeling like I had played well.

It was a similar story on the back nine. I hit it really solid but just couldn't quite convert the scoring opportunities (although I did at least birdie the 14th this time). But again I managed a couple of blowouts and made double bogies on both 13 and 16.

In the end it all added up to a +8, 80 off the stick. A decent score but I really didn't do my ball striking any justice. It wasn't my short games fault either, it was just a couple of bad swings that ended up in bad places leading to a couple of blow outs. However, still plenty to positives to take away from the game.

#838 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

Had a hit this afternoon with a mate at Arabian Ranches Golf Club. It was about 47 degrees when I left work and it wasn't much cooler when we teed off a 3:00pm! I haven't played at Ranches for quite a few months but I enjoy the course but it's probably one of the tougher tracks here in Dubai. It's quite narrow off the tee with a lot of visually intimidating tee shots and if you miss the fairway then you are automatically in the desert (if you're lucky) or in the desert shrubs (if you're unlucky!).

I started off pretty well but Arabian Ranches plays out in two long loops away from the clubhouse. That means when you turn at the far point (5th hole) it's a solid slog back into a tough headwind today. I started getting a bit loose with my swing and started getting a bit 'handsy'. That lead to me slapping at the ball and I started hitting left pulls which was frustrating.

I only had one birdie today and kept racking up the off bogey. Despite not getting into any major trouble it wasn't a great scoring day. Ended up shooting a +11, 83 off the stick. Plenty to work on.

#839 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

I had another hit this afternoon after work, again at Arabian Ranches the same as last week. Typical summer weather again, temps in the high 40's and a decent wind blowing made conditions tough.

I made a slight change to my set-up today by widening my stance slightly. It felt like I widened it significantly but in reality it was probably only slightly. I did it to be more stable in the wind but it also meant that it flattened my swing out a little. That's a good thing as I tend to get a bit too steep which gives me a high weak ball flight sometimes, especially into the wind. The other thing widening my stance did was it forced me to turn my hips instead of slide them forward which is another swing fault of mine.

This slight change resulted in a great ball flight. Really strong and penetrating with a slight draw and good distance. The results showed on my stats and the score card.
12/14 fairways, 11 greens in regulation and 29 putts. That all added up to a 37 + 36, 73 for +1 playing off the back markers.

Great round and plenty of encouragement for the future.
  • RobNewy and Francie like this

#840 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39030 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Getting to play a bit over there BC - nice bonus of the move
  • BuggeraCup likes this

Handicap