828 replies to this topic

#31 KycGolfer

KycGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4492 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the Info n good luck in your quest for a lower Hcp but most importantly enjoy the journey there....

#32 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

Played a social round today with a mate who is up from Melbourne. We played at Oxley here in Brisbane which is reasonably forgiving and quite short but is all tree lined so it can cause some problems if you are wayward. Teed off on 10 and played the first nine very well including back to back birdies on the par 5 12th and the long (196m) par 3 13th where I held a pure 3 iron up against the breeze and drained the 15 footer. I did double bogey the next when my 3 wood off the tee ballooned into the wind and plugged under the lip in a fairway trap but I didn't let it worry me too much to finish the front nine in 1 over. Back nine was sloppy though. Failed to get up and down on the first five holes of the back nine, a couple of which were quite straight forward. So although I was never in any real trouble I was scoring badly through nothing more than a lack of concentration which may have been because it was a social round. Regrouped with another birdie on the par 5 7th after parring the 6th and then the 8th. After finding the par 3 9th in regulation I had my first three putt (29 putts for the day - had been putting well) of the day to close with a bogey for a "easy" 79. Once again the ball striking was solid and I felt comfortable and confident over the ball. I am playing in the comp on saturday morning at Coolangatta-Tweed in a par comp (+ and -) which I don't really like but will at least be another chance to lower the handicap. I would welcome a few more expert comments on the swing videos that I posted a few days ago so keep the comments coming in guys - don't worry I have a thick skin. Cheers guys. I will play off 5

#33 GottaStartSomewhere

GottaStartSomewhere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

Hey Buggeracup, Glad to see your struggling to fit a game in with work and family committments. Not! Wish my wife was as understanding... I will play off 15

#34 KycGolfer

KycGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4492 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

sometimes NO comments means it's too good to comment on ! you seem to have the perfect swing :)

#35 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

sometimes NO comments means it’s too good to comment on !

you seem to have the perfect swing :)

If Tiger plays Lefty will he be that good ?
Square is Good ? Sure is, if it's the right stick !
Good Golf is Fun plus the Great Outdoors...
In the Bag: Clubs and Balls. My Handicap is Bad Golf.

The Perfect Golf Swing????? Its not a perfect golf swing til every swing is perfect - I'm a long, long way from that I think.

#36 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

Hey Buggeracup,

Glad to see your struggling to fit a game in with work and family committments. Not!

Wish my wife was as understanding…

I will play off 15

Its true, I am lucky that I have a very understanding, laid back wife who is happy to let me play a fair bit of golf (also get out for some fishing occasionally) as long as there is a fair proportion of family time as well. Unfortunately the honeymoon is almost over - back to work next week after four weeks off so no more three rounds of golf a week..... boooo!

#37 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

Played today in a Par comp down at Tweed-Coolangatta (River course). It was exceptionally windy today with swirling 25kt winds that were quite flukey. Never felt like I had any rythum today, although my ball striking stats were quite sound hitting 10/14 fairways and 10/18 greens I never felt comfortable over the ball. Ended up shooting a disappointing 87 but what really killed me were two holes. The short par 4 12th is a 90 degree dogleg to an awesome green complex that sits in a clearing of thick forest and is surrounded by deep traps. I got aggressive with my 9iron approach and pushed it slightly into a deep trap in the short side. Twice I tried to get too cute with the bunker shot that was down hill all the way to the hole and left it in the trap with the final time the ball coming to rest in my deep footprint! When it was all said and done it was a dirty fat lady - an 8, with a lesson learnt to not get cute and just take my medicine in those cases. Next hole is a short straight par 4 with the tee shot played out of a very narrow chute of trees. I hit a pure three iron leaving myself a gap wedge into a very difficult elevated green. I then proceeded to hit a big, old, dirty Hilllary Swank (sh**k) which surprised the crap out of me because I cannot remember the last time I had hit one of those. Not really sure what caused it because I had a good lie in the fairway and a good yardage but it lead to an unplayable and a triple bogey and the round was essentially shot. In hindsight, that hole was playing straight down wind so I may have been better off playing driver off the tee and trying to knock it somewhere down near the green (312m hole). So other than a couple of disaster holes it could have been an okay scoring round despite not feeling in complete control of my game. It was also disappointing because I usually pride myself on not having those blow outs and just playing bogey golf if I have to. Always next time I guess. How did everyone else play today? I will play off 5

#38 timarnold2452

timarnold2452

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

G'day Murph, had a look at your swing mate and it looks great! To the untrained eye there is nothing major that I can pick up. Your setup looks good but as Charlston said perhaps your stance is a little narrow, without a steady foundation your body may be working harder than it needs to to keep you balanced. See what other have to say Have you used an software to draw up the plane lines etc on your swing videos. I'd be happy to have a look at doing this for you if you'd like. Otherwise, nice swing!

#39 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:41 AM

G’day Murph, had a look at your swing mate and it looks great! To the untrained eye there is nothing major that I can pick up. Your setup looks good but as Charlston said perhaps your stance is a little narrow, without a steady foundation your body may be working harder than it needs to to keep you balanced. See what other have to say

Have you used an software to draw up the plane lines etc on your swing videos. I’d be happy to have a look at doing this for you if you’d like.

Otherwise, nice swing!

Yep mate, I've had a bit of a play around with V1 Home software for drawing lines and checking angles etc. It highlighted that I have a tendancy to get the club face shut at the top of my swing on occasions so that is something that I have been working on.

#40 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

Back to work today unfortunately. However I did get out for a round yesterday with a couple of mates up at Redcliffe - a lovely course on the northside of Brissy that is right by the bay and has some nice elevation change and an interesting mix of holes. Certainly nothing spectacular today - shot 82 with no birdies. Just eveything was a little sloppy. Started leaking a few shots to the right and my short game was simply not good enough - 34 putts again after only hitting 8 greens = shithouse! I actually feel like I might benefit from not touching the clubs for a few days (which I won't be able to do due to work anyway) and having a little break as I have played a lot of golf in the last month or so. Because of that I have not been to the range in over 5 weeks and I think a few bad habits may have slipped in, hence the leaking shots to the right. So I'll head back to the range later in the week and just refresh the basics of set up and alignment and maybe have a few swings with the swingyde to help get me connected. After that I might look at playing in the sunday comp at Gailes if the boss allows it. I will play off 5

#41 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

G'day everyone. After a poor ballstriking round last saturday I hadn't touched the clubs for over a week with the exception of going back to basics and checking grip, alignment and set up in front of the mirror a few times which is always worthwhile. So feeling refreshed and releaxed I played the sunday stroke comp today at Gailes (white tees) - a shortish par 73 tree lined course, plenty of elevation change and defended by deep greenside bunkers on most holes. Driving today was okay but my irons felt very pure with great ball striking. 10/15 fairways and 10/18 greens today backed up with 28 putts (no three whacks!!!) for a solid 77 off the stick - 68 nett! Here's the commentary... Par 5 - Drive missed right, 7iron lay up, poor pitch, chip+putt =par Par 5 - Fairway drive, 3wood just short, chip to 8 feet, lipped out birdie putt = par Par 3 - Pure 8 iron to 8 feet, centre cup = birdie Par 4 - Tried driving green, 3 wood rode breeze OOB by 5metres, birdie with second ball = bogey Par 4 - Slice 3 wood into tree line, punch 3 iron to 15 feet = par Par 3 - pulled the ears off a 5 iron, chunked pitch, try again, two putts = double bogey Par 4 - Fairway drive into a divot, wedge short, poor chip = bogey Par 4 - 3 wood fairway, 8 iron to 25 feet = par Par 5 - Driver sliced into tree line, punch 5 iron out, 8 iron to 30 feet = par and out in +3 - 40 Par 4 - 3 wood fairway, 7 iron to 15 feet, horse shoed the putt = par Par 4 - 3 wood fairway, PW to 8 feet, lipped out again!!! = par Par 3 - good PW hit by the wind into deep trap, blast to 15 feet and drain it (go figure?) = par Par 4 - 3 iron still ran thru fairway, poor pitch out, pitch to 6 feet = par Par 4 - Good drive, heavy wedge short, good chip to 6 feet but missed the putt = bogey Par 4 - Good drive but ran thru into left rough, poor punch under trees, average chip = bogey Par 4 - 3 wood into fairway, good 8 iron to 20 feet, two putts = par Par 4 - 3 wood short of green, pitch over traps, misread putt = par Par 5 - Great drive, great 3 iron to left fringe, two putts = birdie Good round with everything reasonably solid. Results aren't through yet on Golflink but the CCR is usually 71 so I should still come in a bit and should even find myself now playing off 8! Cheers everyone Murph I will play off 5

#42 timarnold2452

timarnold2452

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

Murph, I've got a thread going for a game at Gailes on the 1st February if your interested in joining a few of us from ISG. Good work with the handicap mate, your moving on the right direction. Gailes Sunday 1st Feb

#43 Styles

Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5165 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

well done Murph, glad its going well for you

#44 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

The results for the Sunday comp finally got added onto Golflink. Managed to come in second with my 68 nett, someone had a 66 nett. The CCR, as expected, was only 71 but that means I lost 0.6 off the handicap and I'm now down to 8.4!!! I'm heading in the right direction for 5 by the end of the year.

#45 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

I'm heading off to Coffs Harbour with the wife and baby and a mate and his family for the long weekend tomorrow. We are booked in for the comp at Coffs tomorrow afternoon so hopefully another opportunity to bring the handicap down. I've never played the course though so I'm not getting too ahead of myself. Then on sunday we are heading down to have a round at Bonville. It's not in a comp but I've always wanted to play the course so I can't wait. I'll let you all know how I go when I get back on monday. I will play off 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users