Photo

Total Golf Performance - (Club Fit, Melbourne)

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#1 Trigger73

Trigger73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

I Just wanted to let anyone who is thinking of updating, reshafting, purchasing, altering etc etc on any of there equipment should consider checking out these guys in South Oakleigh. I spent a very informative 2 hours yesterday with Kyan and Jon (golfguy33) getting fitted for a new set of irons and new shaft for the driver. Very detailed and thorough and willing to explain what and why they are doing. I have been down to the local retailer recently and been fitting incorrectly. THANK GOD I did purchase anything without going to see these guys. Check 'em out. I know you will not be disapointed.
  • handeltav likes this

#2 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

Good to see you went on a search for good info:)

#3 gead

gead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

will they adjust clubs not purchased from them?

#4 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

I Just wanted to let anyone who is thinking of updating, reshafting, purchasing, altering etc etc on any of there equipment should consider checking out these guys in South Oakleigh.

I spent a very informative 2 hours yesterday with Kyan and Jon (golfguy33) getting fitted for a new set of irons and new shaft for the driver.

Very detailed and thorough and willing to explain what and why they are doing.

I have been down to the local retailer recently and been fitting incorrectly. THANK GOD I did purchase anything without going to see these guys.

Check ‘em out. I know you will not be disapointed.

Planning to see John soon to get driver shaft checked. Heard many good thinds about the service.

#5 MightyWallop

MightyWallop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

I have been down to the local retailer recently and been fitting incorrectly. .

I don't want to be a thorn, but don't you mean that these guys think that the other place fitted you incorrectly? I am sure if you went back to the first store again they would tell you that you have just been fitted incorrectly. As a newby to 'researching' golf fitting and swings, it seems that every Joe Blow has the right way, and everyone else is full of hot wind. How do you tell the difference?

#6 Chilli73

Chilli73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Hi Mighty. There are so many different ways to swing the club and fit and to say one is better than another is a difficult process. I mean stack and tilt has worked for Mike Weir and friends but it is not going to work for everyone. I remember a couple of years ago Natural Golf was the new way to swing (Moe Norman swing) and I know people who swear by it and others who wouldn't touch it. The most important thing with your swing is that you get a coach who you can understand and believe. When you find that person he/she needs to be involved with your club fitting process whether it is he/she doing the fitting or if they send you to a clubfitter BUT the clubfittter must understand what you and your coach are working on. The club fit and the swing plan must work together.

#7 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3249 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:58 AM

will they adjust clubs not purchased from them?

Yes they will. Jon did a good job with my lie angles and lofts.

#8 Hybrid

Hybrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

The guy is good i have used him and the price is good but i think he's struggling a bit for customers and is only open on certain days so ring first before making the trip down.

#9 Trigger73

Trigger73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Mightlywallop, What I meant to say was the big retail store. I just found that TGP to a lot more measurements, asked more questions and spent a lot more time with me. 2 hours instead of 10 mins the big stores offer. I believe these guys are not just worried about a sale, customer satisfaction and repeat business are high on their agenda, rather than a young sales guy who does not know the first thing about golf equipment.

#10 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3249 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:23 AM

The guy is good i have used him and the price is good but i think he’s struggling a bit for customers and is only open on certain days so ring first before making the trip down.

If you think your arse looks big in that it probably does,next question

I didn't get the feeling they were struggling. In fact I know that one of his major competitors was moved on from the club he was based at. They also do a fair trade in subcontract repair work for other (larger) stores. His hours are something like 10-6 Mon to Fri and 9-12 on Sat

#11 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

How much does he charge for a driver fitting? Any discounts for dropping "ISG" into conversation... ;op

#12 Trigger73

Trigger73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

muntz, They did not charge me anything for the fitting. I guess they work on the person being fitted is genuine and wants to improve their game. If you are happy with the fitting then you will purchase something. That's what I have done. I am getting my driver re-shafted (Proforce V2) tipped for my swing!. Hybrid, I agree with JP_Mel they do not appear to be struggling, quite the contrary. It might be worth ringing to make a booking if you are wanting to go on the weekend or after work.

#13 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

In some ways I would rather pay a fee and not feel any moral obligation to buy something after the session.

#14 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3249 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

In some ways I would rather pay a fee and not feel any moral obligation to buy something after the session.

Reverse every natural instinct you have and do just the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing. - BEN HOGAN, POWER GOLF

And thats often an option. Lots of the clubfitting pros will do a fitting lesson and charge you a fee. Generally they will waive the fee if you give them an order (or refund you if they subsequently get an order). If you want to buy off the internet its a very fair way to do business. The pro will get paid for their time and you will still cop most of the saving. I reckon that the quick and half assed free fitting service provided at a lot of the chain stores is a pretty natural product of two things. People wanting to screw the prices right down and the people who want to get a free fit and then proceed to shop online.

#15 MightyWallop

MightyWallop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

I asked the local store (they have one in Mandurah and one in Rockingham) about fitting, and the young bloke said they can do it for free. I did query this as I probably wasn't going to be buying anything from the store, and he confirmed it was free. I did feel like a bum doing it when I knew the store would get nothing for it, but if thats what they are giving away.... :) I must admit it wasn't the most thorough of fittings (and that is a loose term). Stand by the measuring tape, measure wrist to floor, whack some balls with impact tape of the face and sole, try another club, whack some more, try another, whack some more. After all this was done, the guy said 'You hit them pretty well, I'd get stiff shafts, get them 1 inch long, and your five iron should be around 64 degrees. Driver and three wood should be OK at a standard length'. After much further online researching I settled on shaft types and heads. But for a basic length and lie angle this seems to be a good guide. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users