• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimjam

jimjam

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

Recently whilst watching a USGA event on TV, a player was penalised when his ball marker fell onto his ball. I am aware that you cannot be penalised if your ball moves whilst in the act of marking your ball, but why was he penalised for his marker dropping on his ball? Was it because the ball moved? I wouldn't think a ball marker was heavy enough to move the ball!

#2 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2823 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

His ball did move, it's why he called the rules guy over, I remember the comentatas commenting on it...

#3 Shinypants

Shinypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

His marker was a coin. As such it was heavy enough to move the ball. The USGA had recently made a ruling that dropping a marker wasn't in the act of marking a ball, and therefore a penalty applied

#4 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:00 AM

Brandt Snedecker was penalized for moving his ball at a time when he was not in the specific act of marking it. He had no control over his marker, at the ball was moved when he dropped it. AFAIK Montgomerie or Clarke was Ruled under the same Decision a few years ago when a coin was dropped on the ball. The background for the Ruling is found in Decision 20-1/15. (Not really recent - it's from 2000 and covers all of us :-))

#5 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

RD I though the story was that he had actually dropped his ball on the marker. Same penalty of course.

#6 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

AAA - When I wrote this answer in another forum, an RO present on the course agreed with me. (Maybe he was just being polite?) Later I heard that it was the other way round - ball dropped on marker, but nobody commented on it. But yes it amounts to the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users