6 replies to this topic

#1 Inspector

Inspector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

Recently, for some reason, there appears to have been an increase of players at our Club removing the ball, after holed, with the head of their putter. Obviously this has the potential of damaging the hole for following players. The action is specifically identified in the etiquette section in the front of the Rule Book as being against the guidelines. To deter these players, does the Club Committee have the power to introduce a Local Rule where such an action would incur a penalty of, say, two strokes, or is it a matter of education?

#2 thieftaker

thieftaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

It's a discipline matter. Etiquette - Conclusion: Penalties for Breach "If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee considers taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions.This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines."

#3 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

This is going to be a source of contention if the matter is taken up directly as a disclipline issue. Perhaps the committe could post some specific warnings on the bulletin board / newsletter - then if they continue to ignore the matter they won't have cause to complain if they are pulled up subsequently.

#4 live4munt

live4munt

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6462 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:15 PM

it actually begs the question why? - and how exactly do you get the head of a putter in a hole in order to get a ball out?

#5 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Why - to avoid bending over and actually getting some exercise. How - it works with the blade style putters that have a little shelf on the back - you stick the toe in and wedge the ball between the back of the putter and the side of the hole - lift and ta da. So I've been told.... ;0)

#6 grantgolf

grantgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

some old fellas i have played with occationally can't get down to get the ball out any other way... so i bought them both a suction cup for the grip end cost 6 bucks made a couple of friends and no nastiness involved just an idea

#7 slickone

slickone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:41 AM

I play with a guy who does it on every hole, because he can't bend over. When he does it he hooks the toe top of his putter under the ball and flicks it out. The only damage he creates, is to his putter, by scraping it on the metal part of the cup. I did not realize it was an etiquette item. I will now do what grantgolf done and buy him a suction cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users