4029 replies to this topic

#1 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hitters or swingers... Would love to hear your pro's and con's of both techniques.. I played a few of the world tours a few years back, and might be able to give some insight into what that all meant on tour. I was a young Doyle disciple back in the Clampett days, and studied the Mac side too... so I am pretty up on both swinging and hitting, and have come to some pretty useful conclusions about all things G.O.L.F.

#2 Bio

Bio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1236 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

L.P is there really any pro's and con's it's what ever works for the invidual, to be honest I can floor either, hitting suits some and swinging suits others. I can do both techniques and depends in what suituation I'm in to which I use, I'm interested to what it meant on tour ?

#3 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

Welcome to the forum lag'. Drop me an e-mail to golfguruATiseekgolfDOTcom :)

#4 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

We'll, I must say that swinging and the use of longitudinal acceleration I believe to be the superior method of all things feel. Dumping the power package on the ball with soft hands is just a beautiful thing around the greens for all the chips, flops and around the green wedges. I would argue that swinging makes a huge assumption that our hinges are always well oiled, free and flexible. The steady even acceleration to the moment of truth depends on exactly these things... steady, even, and well oiled firm, but flexible hinges. We of course can debate the pressure gauge software inside the computer. Everyone seems to have a different setting. I am not likely to go into the red on a weekend game with guys at the club, but coming down the final three holes to win the South Australian Open might put me well into the red! lol It's natural when we feel pressure to tighten up, and these states of muscle constraint do not do well for the free flexible hinges. Now if you have the mind of a Nicklaus, and pressure does not bother you, then your computer will keep pumping oil to those hinges right to the award platform on the 72nd green. For me that was not usually the case! Once I learned how to hit, with a tight grip pressure, and radial acceleration with an angled hinge, I found that to be much better under the gun, and as my computer would cut off the oil and my muscles would tighten, I would typically just rotate a bit faster and I would just have to remember to pull one LESS club down the stretch and since I would practice with a very tight cohesive body tension, those moments would really just seem all too familiar.... I found I was able to perform much better under pressure with pure hitting techniques. Greg McHatton once asked me why I would want to pull the club out of orbit with the angled hinge, and the answer was really quite simple. So I could hit it straight consistently!

#5 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Is Peter Lonard a Hitter? Is there a downside to Hitting? Do you have to have forearms like Popeye to make it work...?

#6 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

lag...dumb it down a bit please mate, I get confused easily at the best of times :)

#7 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13052 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:21 PM

lag…dumb it down a bit please mate, I get confused easily at the best of times :)

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Yeah me too please lag. You are obviously going to have a bit to offer on the threads, but really don't need another Jeffman who talks in other world academic speak. (No offence intended Jeff, just that some of your responses are just soooo hard to comprehend)

#8 Boof

Boof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'm trying to make sense of the posts as well. I did however think immediately of this clip on YouTube: Golf Blooper Cheers, Mick

#9 muntz

muntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

I think he's trying to talk in layman's terms actually, but you probably have to have some idea of the TGM concepts in play though

#10 jeffmann

jeffmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

LagPressure You present an interesting perspective on hitting versus swinging. Your idea that swinging depends on well-oiled hinges makes sense to me, and I can readily believe that a swinger could therefore have more day-by-day swing inconsistency than a hitter, who powers the swing with a radial thrust (in an pick-axe manner). You wrote-: "Greg McHatton once asked me why I would want to pull the club out of orbit with the angled hinge. Could you please expand on this point about pulling the club out of orbit with angled hinging? Jeff.

#11 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

OK, In simple terms.. Swingers are the guys with the long flowing swings, smooth and effortless looking (don't be fooled though) Hitters look more like short backswing, quick swing, that kind of thing. I didn't mean to sound over the top... I assumed this was a golf machine thread and that everyone here spoke that G.O.L.F. language.. The heart of what I was saying is that I think pure swingers have a harder time under pressure, and in my years on the tour, I saw the games best using hitting methods. Clampett and I had a long talk about it one year at Q school. He agreed. The best striker I ever saw was Peter Senior from Australia. I was there when he we waxing everyone from Norman in his prime, Faldo, no one could touch him. No swinging going on with that fine move. Swingers pull, hitters push. I believe there are purists on each end of the spectrum, most players do some of both, often not all that effectively. MUNTZ I believe hitters sometimes lack the touch and finesse, and it is much more based on strength, that is correct, Popeye would be a hitter for sure... Swinging can give you tremendous length with the proper application, and minimal overall body strength. If you want to just flat out hit it long... swing.. If you want to rarely miss a fairway, hit. From a purely ideological standpoint swinging is superior I believe. But for me hitting proved the better method to win money and tournaments on the world stage.

#12 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

Yes you are correct, but to maximize the dynamics of law, swingers have things like maximum swing radius, snap loading, and full dual horizontal hinge action to give it that classic long smooth look... and a lot of wallop! As far as the book, I don't think it leaves much to interpretation, and the objectiveness of it... is what lands it in truth... and not imagination. "Complexity is far more simple and workable than mystery!" No mystery in the golf swing.. I agree...

#13 KOC

KOC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Lag pressure is the secret of G.O.L.F. According to a video of Greg McHatton, Greg said when he took part in one of the G.O.L.F. week with Homer, Homer said he don't like "Swinging"...coz that is too easy...It will be interesting to see Greg with a "Hitting" video. BTW, lagpressue, please share with us more.

#14 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

JEFF “Greg McHatton once asked me why I would want to pull the club out of orbit with the angled hinge. Could you please expand on this point about pulling the club out of orbit with angled hinging? Ok, If you were to let go of the club at impact the club would of course bounce off the ground move away from you.. say towards 10 or 11 o clock. Aiming the hands at the inside quadrant of the ball. Now if you go with that momentum you can use a full roll of the wrists and let the arms move away from the body after dumping all the force on the ball and then into the ground. This is the Doyle, McHatton approach, and it works well. I know. I can swing that way and have won tournaments with that kind of swing. Now if you fight that expanding circle action, you have to use an angle hinge, no wrist roll and the club is released by the rotation of the body. If you stand behind a golfer with this motion, the hands will quickly disappear around the body after impact... kind of like cutting it left. This is more the Mac O Grady motion. Hogan was all about this too. By pulling the club out of it's natural longitudinal orbit, you create a massive amount of pressure in your hands, on all three pressure points. This pressure in your hands is FEEL! and this is the feel that you can learn to utilize to control the ball exactly how you want to.... a three yard draw, a five yard fade, low, high, it's all yours if you can learn to do it. Warning! You have to have strong arms and hands if you are planning on rotating fast and hitting it far! On top of that, you have to learn what I believe to be the most difficult swing move in all of golf. Straightening the right arm out quickly on the downswing...while the torso turns flat or at right angles to the spine or axis. It's a great move to master though, because if you can do it, you can't ever get over the top of the shot and pull it. For those who are still confused, it feels like you are coming right over the top to hit a big pull shot, but instead, that hands move straight down, as if they are going to land in your right hip pocket, but your shoulders are turning as flat a a 15th century spanish globe. I have seen that move win a lot of money and tournaments.

#15 lagpressure

lagpressure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:06 AM

Lag pressure is the secret of G.O.L.F. AMEN!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users