#917 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

EDIT - Sorry guys, this has ended up quite long! Thought I'd do a full intro and well, it's just gone on and on and on ... :blush:

TL:DR - I'm a hack and am getting new clubs ATM :rolleyes:

I've been lurking around here for a while. Registered a week or so back and have been reading, learning and trying to convince myself my crazy ideas are founded in some sort of logic.

As my username suggests, I'm a hack golfer.

Started playing years ago (mid 80's) when I was in high school because we were not allowed to go surfing for sport during Winter. Surfing was and still is my #1 passion and the first thing to fill up the day, but, once it's onshore (usually 10am onwards), well look out golf course!

I have never had any natural sporting talent and that has well and truly carried over into my golf swing.

In the early 90's I started playing with a few blokes from where I worked. Hired a set for a few rounds but then I ended up buying a 'package' golf set, a Brosnan set IIRC. Played most weekends with them, and started the 'habit' of having a few beers during each round. Bad, bad idea when you have no talent ...

Then, in the early 2000's, I thought it best to avoid injury to others and get some lessons. It didn't take long to know I needed better clubs. So, under the advice and guidance of the pro giving me lessons, I ended up with a set of RAC OS II 3-PW with stiff shaft 1" longer than standard. Over a few months, again with the pro's input, I ended up with a V-Steel 3 wood and a couple of RAC Wegdes (56 and 60). All of these clubs worked for me ...

I, on the other hand, decided a 580XD worked for me because I had hit 10 shots into a net at Golfworld during their US Masters sale in 2005. I of course bought it and have never been able to hit it straight on course or range despite a lot of effort and frustration. But, geez I can spray it all over the place!

So, with some lessons under my belt and a growing collection of golfing mates, a membership at a course was needed and with it, a handicap. At the time, as a busy professional, working crazy hours, and mates all the same, we wanted to play a less 'busy' course, and so ended up with memberships at the Greg Norman designed Pelican Waters.

Handicap hovered around 27 and the old 'drink a few beers' while playing had well and truly slipped into the game. It was not uncommon to have to get picked up from the club after Wednesday and Saturday comps. Not good for the health or the golf. That was just over 10 years ago ...

Life took over, (young family) and other interests (Surfing) and golf became a 'play a few rounds with mates once in a while' and the odd charity or pro-am day type of thing ... until, more recently when the trusty old sticks have been dusted off and used to fill in the poor surf days and onshore afternoons. All driven by a mate and his new interest in golf plus a few back to back charity days and work type functions.

After now several rounds of frustration, I decided a new set of bats would fix the issues. Well, not quite. I stopped all alcohol on the course and revisited my old lesson notes and spent some time at the range. Working on the swing has helped, but I could feel this weird difference between irons, driver / fairway wood etc. and started to look into the whole shaft flex impact (i.e. lurking here and other forums). A also sensed something with the irons - a lack of "consistency" with approach shots, that initially I put down to not knowing distances of clubs and the different course I play, so of course, a rangefinder was acquired. More practice, dial in the shots and yep, crazy idea #1 proven - same shot, but widely varying results. Hmmm, time to talk to someone.

So, I toddled off to a club fitter and well, yep, shafts of all clubs do not suit my swing. Not by a long shot. So, that's crazy idea #2 proven and well, that can only mean one thing - Time for new clubs!

So, as I sit here typing this, I am eagerly waiting for some new irons and wedges to arrive. I'm like an excited kid at Christmas. :D

OK, so the other stuff:

Name: On the golf course - Hack ... In the surf - Wingnut.
Height: 186cm
Weight: usually even across both feet at address, after that, not where it should be!

Years Playing: On and off since the mid 80's
Righty or Lefty?: Same as I surf, left foot forward
Home Course: Don't have one. Thinking maybe Howling to get a handicap.
What’s in the Bag?: Being rebuilt ATM. 4-GW 716 AP1's and 3 x SM6 Vokey wedges (52, 56 & 60) on order

Highest / lowest / current handicaps: 27 (12 years ago when I was a member at Pelican Waters). Play a "social" handicap of 18 these days.
Handicap Goal for 2017: Official 18 or lower, perhaps chase a single digit ... not sure yet.
Strengths: Short game - saves my arse from the wayward drive and mishit approach shots
Weaknesses: It varies between wayward drive and mishit approach shots.
Your Typical Pre-Round Routine: Avoid rushing and allow time for warm up hits on the range or at least into nets and a few putts.
Your Golf Attire (usually): Long pants and polo
Your Usual Ballflight: Hmmm, previously NASA would be proud, but let's come back to this after I dial in the new clubs
Have You Played Competitively?: Between mates - hell yeah. Otherwise, pffft, nope, no chance. I'm a hack!

Pick The Ball Cleanly, or Divot?: Pick it clean, otherwise, divot from about an inch behind the ball.
Blades or Cavity Backs?: Cavity
Links or Tree Lined?: Trees baby! And, no they are not 90% air.
Range Rat or Gain Experience By Playing?: Both.
What Time of Day Do You Prefer Playing? When it's onshore.
Do You Get First Tee Jitters?: Depends on the group and location.
Your Overused Golf Sayings: When using Driver - FORE! Approach shots - F%$# not again. On the green - another gynecologist assistant.
Quiet Player or Loud?: Varies. Depends upon the group, location and how I'm playing.
Walk or Golf Cart?: Both. Walk for practice / exercise but cart's for enjoyment of the game on hot days and long courses.
Favourite Golf Quotes: You don't record what club you hit, or how the ball got there ... and ... it's not cricket, highest score doesn't win ya know
Best score for 9 holes: Shot 34 stableford points on the front 9 at Pelican... once.
Best score for 18 holes: Around 18 over par (several courses like Emerald Lakes, Tweed Cooly and Royal Chinderah)
Best golfing memory: ATM - the club fitting and club selection process. Past - Hmmm, first bridie? or walking off with 5 stableford points on a par 3 at Pelican.

Edited by hack2489, 12 April 2017 - 01:11 PM.

• BumpunRun, Madambo and Short Putt Man like this

#918 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12127 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

EDIT - Sorry guys, this has ended up quite long! Thought I'd do a full intro and well, it's just gone on and on and on ... :blush:

TL:DR - I'm a hack and am getting new clubs ATM :rolleyes:

I've been lurking around here for a while. Registered a week or so back and have been reading, learning and trying to convince myself my crazy ideas are founded in some sort of logic.

As my username suggests, I'm a hack golfer.

Started playing years ago (mid 80's) when I was in high school because we were not allowed to go surfing for sport during Winter. Surfing was and still is my #1 passion and the first thing to fill up the day, but, once it's onshore (usually 10am onwards), well look out golf course!

I have never had any natural sporting talent and that has well and truly carried over into my golf swing.

In the early 90's I started playing with a few blokes from where I worked. Hired a set for a few rounds but then I ended up buying a 'package' golf set, a Brosnan set IIRC. Played most weekends with them, and started the 'habit' of having a few beers during each round. Bad, bad idea when you have no talent ...

Then, in the early 2000's, I thought it best to avoid injury to others and get some lessons. It didn't take long to know I needed better clubs. So, under the advice and guidance of the pro giving me lessons, I ended up with a set of RAC OS II 3-PW with stiff shaft 1" longer than standard. Over a few months, again with the pro's input, I ended up with a V-Steel 3 wood and a couple of RAC Wegdes (56 and 60). All of these clubs worked for me ...

I, on the other hand, decided a 580XD worked for me because I had hit 10 shots into a net at Golfworld during their US Masters sale in 2005. I of course bought it and have never been able to hit it straight on course or range despite a lot of effort and frustration. But, geez I can spray it all over the place!

So, with some lessons under my belt and a growing collection of golfing mates, a membership at a course was needed and with it, a handicap. At the time, as a busy professional, working crazy hours, and mates all the same, we wanted to play a less 'busy' course, and so ended up with memberships at the Greg Norman designed Pelican Waters.

Handicap hovered around 27 and the old 'drink a few beers' while playing had well and truly slipped into the game. It was not uncommon to have to get picked up from the club after Wednesday and Saturday comps. Not good for the health or the golf. That was just over 10 years ago ...

Life took over, (young family) and other interests (Surfing) and golf became a 'play a few rounds with mates once in a while' and the odd charity or pro-am day type of thing ... until, more recently when the trusty old sticks have been dusted off and used to fill in the poor surf days and onshore afternoons. All driven by a mate and his new interest in golf plus a few back to back charity days and work type functions.

After now several rounds of frustration, I decided a new set of bats would fix the issues. Well, not quite. I stopped all alcohol on the course and revisited my old lesson notes and spent some time at the range. Working on the swing has helped, but I could feel this weird difference between irons, driver / fairway wood etc. and started to look into the whole shaft flex impact (i.e. lurking here and other forums). A also sensed something with the irons - a lack of "consistency" with approach shots, that initially I put down to not knowing distances of clubs and the different course I play, so of course, a rangefinder was acquired. More practice, dial in the shots and yep, crazy idea #1 proven - same shot, but widely varying results. Hmmm, time to talk to someone.

So, I toddled off to a club fitter and well, yep, shafts of all clubs do not suit my swing. Not by a long shot. So, that's crazy idea #2 proven and well, that can only mean one thing - Time for new clubs!

So, as I sit here typing this, I am eagerly waiting for some new irons and wedges to arrive. I'm like an excited kid at Christmas. :D

OK, so the other stuff:

Name: On the golf course - Hack ... In the surf - Wingnut.
Height: 186cm
Weight: usually even across both feet at address, after that, not where it should be!

Years Playing: On and off since the mid 80's
Righty or Lefty?: Same as I surf, left foot forward
Home Course: Don't have one. Thinking maybe Howling to get a handicap.
What’s in the Bag?: Being rebuilt ATM. 4-GW 716 AP1's and 3 x SM6 Vokey wedges (52, 56 & 60) on order

Highest / lowest / current handicaps: 27 (12 years ago when I was a member at Pelican Waters). Play a "social" handicap of 18 these days.
Handicap Goal for 2017: Official 18 or lower, perhaps chase a single digit ... not sure yet.
Strengths: Short game - saves my arse from the wayward drive and mishit approach shots
Weaknesses: It varies between wayward drive and mishit approach shots.
Your Typical Pre-Round Routine: Avoid rushing and allow time for warm up hits on the range or at least into nets and a few putts.
Your Golf Attire (usually): Long pants and polo
Your Usual Ballflight: Hmmm, previously NASA would be proud, but let's come back to this after I dial in the new clubs
Have You Played Competitively?: Between mates - hell yeah. Otherwise, pffft, nope, no chance. I'm a hack!

Pick The Ball Cleanly, or Divot?: Pick it clean, otherwise, divot from about an inch behind the ball.
Blades or Cavity Backs?: Cavity
Links or Tree Lined?: Trees baby! And, no they are not 90% air.
Range Rat or Gain Experience By Playing?: Both.
What Time of Day Do You Prefer Playing? When it's onshore.
Do You Get First Tee Jitters?: Depends on the group and location.
Your Overused Golf Sayings: When using Driver - FORE! Approach shots - F%$# not again. On the green - another gynecologist assistant.
Quiet Player or Loud?: Varies. Depends upon the group, location and how I'm playing.
Walk or Golf Cart?: Both. Walk for practice / exercise but cart's for enjoyment of the game on hot days and long courses.
Favourite Golf Quotes: You don't record what club you hit, or how the ball got there ... and ... it's not cricket, highest score doesn't win ya know
Best score for 9 holes: Shot 34 stableford points on the front 9 at Pelican... once.
Best score for 18 holes: Around 18 over par (several courses like Emerald Lakes, Tweed Cooly and Royal Chinderah)
Best golfing memory: ATM - the club fitting and club selection process. Past - Hmmm, first bridie? or walking off with 5 stableford points on a par 3 at Pelican.

welcome to the other hacks hack.  There is A SEQ group that plays every couple months- they post in the ISG days thread keep an eye out for next event- they welcome you along for sure.

#919 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11816 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

good stuff mate, welcome along

keep an eye out for the SEQ golf days, we play a couple on the Gold Coast each year.

There are some boring fellas in that group who don't drink during the round, so others need to make up for it. 

• Madambo likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#920 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

Cheers fella's ...

I saw the SEQ group and thought I might make a nuisance of myself at a game or two after I sort out the new bats and a handicap.

I 'try" to treat golf like a day at sea nowadays and only drink when safe across the bar.

#921 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11816 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

Cheers fella's ...

I saw the SEQ group and thought I might make a nuisance of myself at a game or two after I sort out the new bats and a handicap.

I 'try" to treat golf like a day at sea nowadays and only drink when safe across the bar.

fine, I will do the drinking for you 

our next game is at Palm Meadows on the last weekend of May, which is umm the 28th. 

The thread with details and names will be out in a few weeks, keep and eye out and you're in!

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#922 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

fine, I will do the drinking for you 

Woo, hang on ...

I didn't say never ...

I said "try".

Hell, if the front nine aint good, a few bourbons can't help the final score. May as well enjoy the walk with a drink on the back nine!

Edited by hack2489, 12 April 2017 - 07:58 PM.

• BumpunRun, Weetbix, RobNewy and 1 other like this

#923 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

OK - a year and a half in the making.. Lurked, forgot, played and lurked again.  Time to introduce myself after being an obsessed player in the late 80's to late 90's.  Moved overseas, came back with a family and the game took a back seat. Played a game here or there over the last 15 years, but have well and truly got the bug again.  Sold my original Hogan Edge irons before I moved overseas and have been rocking some crappy Wilson sticks since I came back.  Bit the bullet and decided to upgrade, which is still a WIP.

First name: Steve

Height: 187 cm
Weight : 88kgs
Years Playing: ~30 years, although dormant for the last 15.

Righty or Lefty?: Righty
Home Course: Don't have one now.  Used to be Altona Lakes, then joined Kooringal.
What’s in the Bag?: Rebuild in progress. M1 9.5, no other woods yet. Just bought myself some AP2 716's (4-PW) and a couple of TM EF R series wedges (52 & 58).  Still rocking my 20 yo Ping Zing putter.. In the market for a decent 3-wood and something to replace my old 1 iron.

Highest / lowest / current handicaps: Highest NFI, Lowest 3.8, current NFI - only played 4 rounds in the last month after a 12 year hiatus.  Those rounds have been 84, 81, 77 & 85
Handicap Goal for 2017: Join a club and actually GET a handicap.  Mid/High single figures would be nice.
Strengths: Driving
Weaknesses: half assed PW

Your Typical Pre-Round Routine: Swing 2 or 3 clubs to loosen those joints.
Your Golf Attire (usually): shorts, polo shirt etc.
Your Usual Ballflight: Hig fade - VERY high fade.

Have You Played Competitively?: yes
Pick The Ball Cleanly, or Divot?: Clean
Blades or cavity backs : Prefer blades.
Links or Tree Lined?: tree lined
Range Rat or Gain Experience By Playing? Playing
What Time of Day Do You Prefer Playing? Early
Do You Get First Tee Jitters? Nope
Your Overused Golf Sayings: F'n fat !!!

Quiet Player or Loud?: Quiet
Walk or Golf Cart?: walk
Favourite Golf Quotes: Drive 4 show, Putt 4 dough
Best score for 9 holes: -4
Best score for 18 holes: -4

Best golfing memory: First time playing Huntingdale

• Madambo, RobNewy, Francie and 1 other like this

#924 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10130 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

welcome Steve, get on board for The Sands, and hope to see you there......

http://forums.iseekg...-7#entry1558607

• ExMrBlonde likes this

Whatever you do, you do to yourself

http://dorsetgolfclub.com.au/

#925 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33282 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Kooringal....great course...
  • Short Putt Man and ExMrBlonde like this

#926 Short Putt Man

Short Putt Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Welcome!!

As Ink said awesome course out at Kooringal. Few ex members here.

• ExMrBlonde likes this

Cap: 17.9 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

Holiday:  X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Aldila Tour Green Shaft Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spares: Big Bertha 1.5 Mini 12* on Fujikura 665 Reg Shaft 3w Length | Wilson Staff FG Tours Head only 4 -PW | True Temper XP 105 Stiff Shafts 4 - PW length | Mack Daddy 2 Slate 52* S Grind |

Goals: Get back to GA 15.9

#927 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thanks guys.. Looking forward to catching up for a hit.. The Sands looks like it may be a go.  Haven't played Kooringal for maaannnnyyyyy years.  Drive past it every now and then and have a little reminisce..

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users