49 replies to this topic

#16 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:55 AM

If the condition of the course is such that to promote fair play, (eg adverse conditions, such as heavy snows, spring thaws, prolonged rains or extreme heat can make the course unsatisfactory and sometimes prevent use of heavy mowing equipment) may the Committee write it’s own LR giving such relief TtG and ignore what is a “recommendation”?
I think 33-8 answers that. All the specimen LRs in the Appendix are the approved ones. This are supplemented by answers in the Decisions. IMO although extending relief to beyond closely mown areas may satisfy the need, the variation would have to be authorised by the R&A. I believe the specimen LRs are only recommendations re the actual wording but that the scope is defined by the wording. Light rough is not expected to provide good lies and App 2-4 Course Conditions implies that (a) Embedded Ball and (b) Cleaning Ball are appropriate to TtG but that © Preferred Lies is constrained to CMAs

#17 thieftaker

thieftaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your view. IMO the policy statement for winter rules or preferred lies is found in Appendix 1 A (4b): b.“Preferred Lies” and “Winter Rules” Adverse conditions, including the poor condition of the course or the existence of mud, are sometimes so general, particularly during winter months, that the Committee may decide to grant relief by temporary Local Rule either to protect the course or to promote fair and pleasant play.The Local Rule should be withdrawn as soon as the conditions warrant. The statement includes "the course". Given the torrential conditions that have recently affected Mackay and other areas in FNQ I doubt if the locals there would agree that some dispensation should not be given for a C grader hitting the ball into the rough. I note that there are differing views about this subject in LS. Regardless, Brian got the answer to his question. Thanks again.

#18 gracekelly

gracekelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hello, Can anyone tell me if we can have different preferred lie rules between the Men and Women ?     The men want a card length and the women want a club length for their competitions. any advice would be helpful - thankyou

• Madam likes this

#19 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41123 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

I think you can set the rules for a specific competition separately?
  • gracekelly likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#20 gracekelly

gracekelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thankyou Weetbix,  I am hoping this is the correct ruling - I have sent the query into Golf SA for confirmation - happy golfing in QLD xx

• Madam and Weetbix like this

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23539 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:41 PM

Hello, Can anyone tell me if we can have different preferred lie rules between the Men and Women ?     The men want a card length and the women want a club length for their competitions. any advice would be helpful - thankyou

You need to look at the reason why preferred lies are considered appropriate and the extent of relief necessary to alleviate the problem.
For example, if there are areas of muddy ground that don't quite qualify as casual water, a club length relief might be right.

It is unlikely that the ground conditions would be different for men than for women.
  • gracekelly likes this

#22 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

The wording of the specimen local rule gives the committee leaway to choose whatever distance they want.

Before lifting the ball, the player must mark its position. Having lifted the ball, he must place it on a spot within (specify area, e.g., six inches, one club-length, etc.) of and not nearer the hole than where it originally lay, 

• gracekelly likes this

#23 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2967 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

I think you can set the rules for a specific competition separately?

That would be my understanding. As the comps are separate (One for mens, the other for womens) local rules could be applied individually to the comp.

In this instance 1 card for the mens and 1 club for the womens. 

• gracekelly likes this

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.6 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#24 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 41123 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Or tell the ladies they’re dreaming
Handicap
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook

#25 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

Or tell the ladies they’re dreaming

Good luck with that - best to let them be!

• Weetbix likes this

#26 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 41123 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

Good luck with that - best to let them be!

You’re not just wise in the ways of the rules
  • pom likes this
Handicap

#27 gracekelly

gracekelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

THANKS

#28 gracekelly

gracekelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

THANKS everyone for your import - Have had a ruling from Golf SA today and they informed me that each Committee has the right to set individual local rules for Ladies and Men's comps. If it is a mixed comp then a compromise needs to be reached. 

• Madam likes this

#29 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3042 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:50 AM

THANKS everyone for your import - Have had a ruling from Golf SA today and they informed me that each Committee has the right to set individual local rules for Ladies and Men's comps. If it is a mixed comp then a compromise needs to be reached. 

I'm glad Golf SA got it right.

• pom, iRON MiCK, gracekelly and 1 other like this

#30 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23539 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

I'm glad Golf SA got it right.

They probably read this forum