• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 littlethug

littlethug

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

is there a trigger in keeping the club face square on impact, and is there a correlation in keeping the right elbow close to the right side on the down swing?

#2 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. Boy is that a big question. We do not wish the face to 'remain' square to the target line through the impact zone. It only has to be square at the moment the ball separates from the face of the club. Consider this. We swing in an arc with a birds eye view. So the clubface will always be closing. This goes in syc with our anticlockwise rotating body. If I try to keep the face square to the flight line (line drawn to the target) the the face will be opening in relation to the body, now I get a clockwise spin on the ball and the face loft actually increases also. Slice city. OK now on with the correlation bit. We do not wish to swing Over The Top. This added to the bit above makes for the right hand side of the next fairway being in play:) So the right elbow being dropped into your right hip area will rid some tendencies of the OTT motion. Not all as you can still spin your hips too far to fast and still come OTT but its a good start littlethug.

#3 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

So the right elbow being dropped into your right hip area will rid some tendencies of the OTT motion. Not all as you can still spin your hips too far to fast and still come OTT but its a good start littlethug.

Do you have any good drills for this? - I have found out that I am coming OTT because my hips are moving faster than Shakira and mt right arm is getting thrown out...I have tried to stop my hips but it feels like I am leaning back when I try to stop the hips from going too fast...very frustrating

#4 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

the towel under the right arm drill can help with this.

#5 CHRIS_B

CHRIS_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

I found that i cured OTT when i realised i was straightening my right leg to create a hip turn (although more a slide), as soon as i worked that out, I maintained the knee flex and coiled correctly.. Added distance was the big bonus, and far better contact as a result of less of a descending attack angle. Live4golf i thought i had a quick hip turn but it turned out that my hips never rotated in the back swing meaning they were always ahead of where they should have been causing me to throw my hands out to get to the ball, resulting in Slice, Cut, Pull and Shank and several other colourful words. I'm starting to see good results with the work i'm putting in the only down side being i've flattened my swing plane too much and have a pretty impressive hook.. It may be totally different to the issues your having, but thought i'd share my experiences incase it isn't Chris

#6 Burner

Burner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

So the right elbow being dropped into your right hip area will rid some tendencies of the OTT motion. Not all as you can still spin your hips too far to fast and still come OTT but its a good start littlethug.

Do you have any good drills for this? – I have found out that I am coming OTT because my hips are moving faster than Shakira and mt right arm is getting thrown out…I have tried to stop my hips but it feels like I am leaning back when I try to stop the hips from going too fast…very frustrating

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Try this one The Pump Drill

#7 Bunny

Bunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Having an OTT swing and a fairly unpleasant slice myself, this is a great link, thanks burner.

#8 jarrod07au

jarrod07au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:48 AM

I have seen a lot of very good golf teachers talking about getting the club on plane from the top (videos on you tube) and from what I understand they are starting the downswing with a small hip rotation and pulling you right elbow to your right hip. Don't you have to clear the hips so that you can get your hands through on path, and, won't the pump drill make it hard for that to happen, considering you've only got half your downswing left to do it.

#9 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:54 AM

The hip slides forward a tad which gives the room for the right elbow to pass close by it rather than have to go around it. By thinking about tucking the elbow in, it does not go out and so less chance to OTT.

#10 jarrod07au

jarrod07au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

Guru, Sorry I don't quite understand. Your saying the hips should slide forward slightly on the pump drill? Otherwise, I just can't see how you'll have the time to stop it getting messy at impact if your hips haven't cleared a little.

#11 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

You got it.

#12 Burner

Burner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

Guru,

Sorry I don’t quite understand.

Your saying the hips should slide forward slightly on the pump drill?

Otherwise, I just can’t see how you’ll have the time to stop it getting messy at impact if your hips haven’t cleared a little.

Anyone selling Titleist 735CM ???

Your elbow is meant to clear the hips, rather than your hips clearing the elbow. The right elbow leads the right hip in to impact The pump drill type of start down, with a little bunt (couple of inches or so only) of the forward hip, does this very nicely.

#13 jeffmann

jeffmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

The idea that the right elbow leads the right hip is not demonstrated by this series of photos of Ben Hogan. Ben Hogan Note that I placed red lines alongside his outer hips. Note that his right elbow comes down to the right hip area and eventually reaches the red line in image 4. By that time, the right hip has already slid left-laterally thereby creating room for the right elbow. The same phenomenon can be seen in this series of images of Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods I placed a red line alongside Tiger's right outer hip. The right elbow reaches that point by image 3, and the pelvis has already slid left-laterally to make room for the right elbow. That allows the right elbow to manage to just slide by the right hip as Paul S stated. Jeff.

#14 finster869

finster869

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:54 AM

The idea that the right elbow leads the right hip is not demonstrated by this series of photos of Ben Hogan.

Ben Hogan

Note that I placed red lines alongside his outer hips. Note that his right elbow comes down to the right hip area and eventually reaches the red line in image 4. By that time, the right hip has already slid left-laterally thereby creating room for the right elbow.

The same phenomenon can be seen in this series of images of Tiger Woods.

Tiger Woods

I placed a red line alongside Tiger’s right outer hip. The right elbow reaches that point by image 3, and the pelvis has already slid left-laterally to make room for the right elbow. That allows the right elbow to manage to just slide by the right hip as Paul S stated.

Jeff.

Jeff- I think there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication. Burner is saying that the dropping of the right elbow to the side causes the lateral hip bump (that is what Tom Tomasello taught). When he says the elbow leads the hips, he means that after the lateral bump, once the elbow is in front of the hip, it leads the spinning of the rotation of the hips. I believe your pictures show this (a lateral bump with the hip not spinning towards the target until after the elbow passes by the right hip, thus the "elbow leading the hip").

#15 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:27 AM

I think that is what I said too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users