25 replies to this topic

#1 turboninja

turboninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:55 AM

I am looking at getting a new golf bag. I would really like a leather staff bag, for strength, durability and a traditional look. What staff bags do you know of that are actually leather and not some composite/vinyl/ etc? What brands, price would I be looking at? I have done some internet searching but it is hard to know if it is leather or not? I would love a Titleist staff bag but I am unsure of the materials used. I am going to get a new Smoothy buggy too. I assume my staff bag will fit in it alright? Any thoughts or feed back gratefully received.

#2 HISPL

HISPL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:30 AM

Good luck with that mate, there are about zero of bugger all percent of golf bags made with real leather these days. Most of the better major brands have a vinyl material that is pretty hard wearing these days. I would suggest that if you want a leather golf bag that you will be hard pressed to find a decent one and may need one to be custom made, I saw a decent one about 15 years ago in a pro shop in Hawaii but it was about $3500USD back then... http://www.pierotucc...golf_bag_42.htm I found that one which is 1650 Euro but the actuall bag itself looks pretty average. For the money that you would spend on a genuine leather bag you may as well update your Vinyl staff bag every year or two. But just for the reccord, I think Ping and Taylor Made make some of the best quality staff bags at the moment which are a reasonable price and easy to obtain.

#3 turboninja

turboninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

thanks HISPL i had the feeling that real leather was lost in a world of cheap and tacky...... you are probably right though, the modern composite vinyl etc is probably just as hard wearing and could be updated when worn out. I will go for something leather 'looking', (Ping, TM, Titleist or Bridgestone)....only the old Italian gentleman will know the difference!

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

I am looking at getting a new golf bag. I would really like a leather staff bag, for strength, durability and a traditional look. What staff bags do you know of that are actually leather and not some composite/vinyl/ etc?
What brands, price would I be looking at? I have done some internet searching but it is hard to know if it is leather or not? I would love a Titleist staff bag but I am unsure of the materials used. I am going to get a new Smoothy buggy too. I assume my staff bag will fit in it alright?

Any thoughts or feed back gratefully received.

Bennington golf bags, they are in the US. They make several leather bags which are all top quality. The price range is around $400 to $500 usd. We can get them in for you. Jon...

#5 turboninja

turboninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

I had a look at the Bennington - thanks but no thanks. The price will eventually be too much anyway. thanks for your post

#6 Sidman

Sidman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

I play with a guy that has a kangaroo leather bag, still looks brand new but its about 15 years old. looks like a tourist shop special I got a 4 year old vinyl staff bag that looks brand new still. I keep it for corporate days only as it looks so pretentious!

#7 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3291 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

I will go for something leather ‘looking’, (Ping, TM, Titleist or Bridgestone)....only the old Italian gentleman will know the difference!

Why would you bother? It's like trying to find a new car with wire spoke wheels and a wood grain dash. Unless you just want the name, that is. Any bag is only as good as its weakest point ... and in this case it's the zips (unless you have leather flap covers with buckles). Long before your leather (or even vinyl) is worn out, the zips will fail. Like they do on any bag, no matter how good the actual material. The second thing that will wear out is the material inside the dividers, because of the constant taking out and replacement of clubs. My last staff bag did exactly that ... the bag material itself was still in good condition but all the zips were broken and nothing would close, so the rain would get in. The dividers were frayed. I looked at name brand staff bags for a replacement, and they were all huge, heavy and costly. I ended up buying an Eagles and Birdies cart bag for $220. It's about half the weight of my staff bag, with separated full-length dividers, multiple pockets of all sizes and levels of convenience (all handily placed and accessible when it sits on a buggy), an insulated drink cooler pocket, even a padded waterproof-zip pocket for a mobile phone and sunnies. Most convenient bag I've ever had. I reckon it's a bit like buying a modern car with fuel injection, air bags and GPS compared to a 1970 Porsche without power steering. No value in the name, because it isn't splashed down the side like an advertising beacon, but huge value in the technology and design.

#8 Chris9485

Chris9485

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1463 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Buy a stand bag and carry your clubs. You will never look back....

#9 tingayj

tingayj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

I think bags are pretty much disposable, I buy a mid range bag every 4 years or so. currently have a light weight (carry or buggy) eagles and birdies bag which is about half way through its term and still looks new.

#10 KycGolfer

KycGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4492 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

reckon it will be hard to find a 100% leahter golf bag nowadays unless you are looking at brands like Gucci ? Most bags (Staff and Cart) are PVC..i think and Carry bags are good and handy not so bulky and space occupying too. They serves the majorrity of golfers into the pro ranks. As a matter of fact most golfers in the USGA US Am Open do the stand/carry bags.

#11 Archi

Archi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:21 AM

Ive been using a BURTON carry bag for last 18 mths . Good strap and stand system , light. Though i must say it does take time to get used to a carry bag , as u certainly feel it in the shoulders and back for a while

#12 Bunny

Bunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:29 AM

My main rationale for not getting a carry/stand-bag is that while they might themselves be light, the 2 x 1.5L water bottles you take out on 35 degree days loads them up a bit on top of anything else you're taking out there. Eventually it adds up to a weight I'd rather not be lugging around with me all day, when buggies are an entirely acceptable alternative for most people.

#13 KycGolfer

KycGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4492 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:07 AM

With the water bottle bits, you can compensate a little by carrying a 3/4 set eg 10 clubs..... and without the umbrella ?? just a tot

#14 marcel

marcel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Alan Mills in Sydney used to make Kangaroo leather bags out of a factory in Leichardt. After he retired I believe his son took over and moved to a factory further west. I have one of Alan's bags (about 12 years old now) and a friend has 2 of them, his oldest about 25yo. I don't know if they're still in business.

#15 zaine

zaine

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

had a carry bag for 5 years (maxfli i think) great bag always thought it was the only way to go.About a year ago on a 35 degree day decided to invest in a smoothy buggy will never go back!I now have a mizuno 9 inch bag and walk off the course using the smoothy feeling as though another eighteen holes isn't out of the question.Carry bag great for travelling though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users