11 replies to this topic

#1 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

I'm still trying to find a long sleeve shirt which is good for golf and will stop me getting fried (even through the fabric). Qld Cancer Council has "Solarcool" long sleeve polo shirts for $53. Golf World has Nike SPF30+ shirts for $159 each (what the?). Anyone use the Cancer Council shirts and what are they like?

#2 Andre_W

Andre_W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

Not sure, but am interested to hear from others. Myself, I have bought a skins style long sleeve tight top, it is rated spf50+, helps to regulate body heat, and I can wear it under whichever shirt I am wearing on the day. It is almost twice the cost of those Cancer Council shirts, but in my mind it is worth it.

#3 Bunny

Bunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

Andre can you link me to the top you're talking about?

#4 Andre_W

Andre_W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

http://www.skins.net...long_sleeve_top http://www.rebelspor...x?id=10147&cat=

#5 Bunny

Bunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

Cheers man, they look good. Pretty tight though. I'd look something like this if I wore one of them I reckon: http://images.buycos...diser/17057.jpg

#6 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12465 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

Whitednj - The Cancer Council shirts are great value and do the job you need. They may not have the fancy brand name embroidered across the chest somewhere, but they are every bit as good, if not better. If you do decide to go that way, make sure they are not too much of a snug fit, so try them on before you buy. If there is a down side, I suppose the colour range is nothing much to right home about, but your not buying them for the fashion factor.

#7 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

Whitednj – The Cancer Council shirts are great value and do the job you need. They may not have the fancy brand name embroidered across the chest somewhere, but they are every bit as good, if not better. If you do decide to go that way, make sure they are not too much of a snug fit, so try them on before you buy.

If there is a down side, I suppose the colour range is nothing much to right home about, but your not buying them for the fashion factor.

Thanks mate - just the feedback I need. I will try a couple of basic white ones - I can't try them on as I'm in Townsville and the local council office doesn't have a shop anymore. I spoke with the council shop in Brisbane and they will exchange if the size is not right. And as for fashion, not many golfers are worth following, particularly the highest paid pros!

#8 tingayj

tingayj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:33 AM

I have been using a white long sleeve surf rash vest in white. like the skins its cool, I can wear it under my shirt and i dont get burnt. about $45 I think. AJ

#9 tingayj

tingayj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

just went to cancer council in vic, they have a limited range at $52, but you can buy direct from the factory in sth aus at solar suit clothing AJ

#10 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

Thanks AJ, that gives me more info than the Sunsmart site. Funny that Sunsmart is slightly cheaper once you factor in postage. I ordered a long sleeve polo today so will report on the shirt once I have been able to give it a go.

#11 tingayj

tingayj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

hit off at 7 this morning and it was already 31c on the way to an expected top of 40C. my shirt (the only one they had in my size) was a brown color, not the best I would have thought for a hot day, but it was great. I will definately get a couple more. they are not exactly a taylored fit, so dont give the nike shirts a run on the fasion stakes, but they are definately comfortable, I didnt get hot, didnt have the desire to constantly pull up my sleeves and I didnt have to use sunscreen. Highly reccomend them. AJ (also used the Vision golf balls for the first time and got my best score for 12 months- check out the golf equipment forum)

#12 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

Got the shirt from Qld CC last week and used it on Saturday in hot and steamy conditions. It worked PERFECTLY! Even though the wind was very light and the course very wet (preferred lies through the green), my sweat was absorbed away from my body and I was relatively cool. The long sleeves were great for keeping the mozzies off and the sweat did not run down my wrists onto my hands as it usually does. The UV protection was very good but still, it is only 50+ so some sun gets through the material. I have just ordered a 2nd shirt. Highly recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users