57 replies to this topic

#1 Royshh

Royshh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

How do you achieve MTD? No matter what I try I always end up with a sweep release.

#2 birdie_man

birdie_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1633 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

You have to have control of your clubface 1st of all. The most important thing is that it not be too open or you throw it away to close the face. Educated hands per-se. You also gotta have a good pivot with a correct/effective kinetic chain. i.e. start from the ground up and just let the hands hold on to the club. (even if you are sensing them the body does the WORK) You gotta "squeeze the water out of the ground." (ala Ben Doyle) Learning to Float Load can help too. i.e. Sergio Garcia (extreme and great example) i.e. "drop the club from the top then hit it." i.e. "drop the club from the top" then "catch the drop with your pivot." i.e. "shake the powdered sugar off your arms past the ball." (the "cloud" should be shot at the ground past the ball) My favourite thought is "left shoulder up" so for me it is "drop then LSU." Combine with The Divot Drill and you have a winner.

#3 Royshh

Royshh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

I have an efficient pivot with the correct sequencing. I start the downswing with my lower body and then power the club with my arms. I don't make any conscious effort to use my wrists, neither holding the angle nor adding force. I have tested my club head speed without actually hitting a ball (practice swings in my back yard) and my record is 115 mph even with a circular delivery path. I think that if i achieve MTD, I can increase that by 10 mph. Sergio Garcia is on the extreme side where float loading is concerned, I don't wish to incorporate that type of down cocking. In my opinion, Byron Nelson has the ideal action, maximum trigger delay despite minimal float loading. Could you explain the following quotations? "Squeeze the water out of the ground". "Shake the powdered sugar off your arms past the ball.” To which "Divot Drill" are you referring?

#4 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Ben Doyle teaches it. You can rent videotapes of live student lessons on his site. The LynnBlakeGolf.com site has some samples if you're a registered member there. (previous content retracted for more "incubation")

#5 Burner

Burner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

Royshh, Have a read of this http://www.iseekgolf...armed-for-power and then ask Justin if you need further clarification. BTW, 125mph is way above the average PGA Tour swing speed so don't be disappointed if you fall short of it. Your current 115 is Tour category.

#6 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

I love Justin's swing and would really like to emulate it. And I'd recommend it to anyone. My attempts so far haven't gotten me any results, but I think I know what's wrong. Trying to do Tom Tomasello also. Same problem with it too. My bad, not theirs. I know he visited Ben Doyle twice and read his words somewhere once that he was using a snap release. I'd like to know how he snaps it if he's not using hip action, if he's snapping it. He also wrote that he was using a shoulder throw and a wrist throw. It's not apparent to me in Armed for Power that he's using a snap release other than his writing to aim the butt of the club at the ball with relaxed wrists so the left wrist can uncock automatically. That sounds sort of random to me rather than maximum delayed. Wonder how we ask him. And I was going to ask what's wrong with sweep release. Tom Tomasello's description sounds like sweep. Mike Austin's words that he throws the club in the first 15 inches and after that it's gone, sounds like a sweep. He also had a feel versus real problem, IMHO.

#7 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3738 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Justin posts as Compda in a few places.

#8 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

Yes, but I think he's gone inactive. Just tried sending him an e-mail at Medicus. Heh, sorry Toolish, just gotta tell you, it's comdpa.

#9 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:13 AM

OK, more info on Justin. On searching on this site for comdpa the first hit we get is Bigger Better Drives and we learn that he's using an automatic snap release, swing speed at that time 124mph, was working on hitting and he was hitting farther hitting than swinging. He's 5' 7" and 154 lbs. He said it was a simple two-move process but you'd have to visit him in Singapore. Read the entire thread. Lots of people commented their cautions on the order of "don't do that" for various reasons. He uses auto snap for long shots but for distance control he also does full sweep release and was learning hitting.

#10 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

Justin's family business pays a bit more than the golf so his time has become somewhat precious - read that as he is having fun playing on the weekends rather than teaching golf and spending much time at all on golf forums now.

#11 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:20 AM

We will all be as good as Justin one day. Keep running that good swing through your heads. Just keep your goals written down some where secret. Too many pupils are doing dumb things for no good reason. A snap release is the end result of a light quick and highly talented mans drive to keep up with the big guys and should not be a goal of every one unless you are just a tech freak. Nothing wrong with that. If you can vary release point, just keep shifting it down till it snaps. Float is essential to snap especially for the hand action, it has to flatten to not hook. The flatter you drop the hand action the more open the clubface gets and the longer it takes to square up so no hook. So snap is usually a way of fixing your hook. If you haven't got one, why bother.

#12 birdie_man

birdie_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1633 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

Royshh, Byron Nelson had LOTS of Float Loading. Why do people think this is a bad thing? Sergio is one of the best ballstrikers on tour. Byron did it. Hogan did it. Nicklaus did it. (despite not having the most trigger delay in the world) Joe Durant. Eldrick Woods. Etc. Squeeze the water out of the ground.....another analogy: "screw yourself INTO the ground." Shoot the powdered sugar off your arms at impact.....another analogy: "shoot your detachable arms right off your body." They detach from your shoulders (of course) and should hit the ground on the target side of the ball. Divot Drill (in your neighbour's yard): Setup as normal but without a ball...make a divot...setup with your feet in the same footprints as where you started and with your club soled in the middle of that divot...make a new divot where the old one left off...repeat process trying to make the trench as long as you can and without moving your head too far forward. (axis tilt is important to hitting REAL golf shots)

#13 Royshh

Royshh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

birdie_man, Thank you for your informative replies. I never said that float loading was a bad thing. Every good player does it to some extent. I just don't think that it's necessary to do it to the extent that Sergio does it. Byron Nelson's #2 accumulator wasn't nearly as out of line as Hogan's yet he achieved as much if not more trigger delay.

#14 Royshh

Royshh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

How would you describe Ping Man's release?

#15 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

Homer described Maximum Trigger Delay very simply....causing the right elbow to pass the ball, which is the line of sight to the ball before release. But, like The Dart said, build up to it if you really want to or if you really can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users