13910 replies to this topic

#13906 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Absolutely agree with the TP5 being largely a marketing ploy. I didn't notice substantial performance improvement other than the extra free side spin that I generally don't get, probably due more to my play than the actual ball.

On the colouring, I did notice the cover had gone slightly grey even after only 16 holes.
  • The_Boz likes this

#13907 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

I've played the tp5x for the last week or so, normally play the Prov1x

Tp5x feels like it's softer off the club face. Distance, spin and wear seem similar enough for me.
  • The_Boz likes this

#13908 The_Boz

The_Boz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2892 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

I was talking with both Nassau and Foremost about their Cast Urethane paint jobs in the past 12 months

as I don't think they work properly both balls can oxidise quite quickly and stain or fade ,,,,,,, but in reality

even the ProV1 brand new is actually an off white and they change after about 6 holes when the initial

slick feel clear coat starts to wear off most of te high points,,,, this is another reason why I ok working

mainly with TP Injected Urethane cover technology ,,,

I can do clear coats ( for the Super Yellow I hope still a work in progress) to really bright blue whites,,,,,

Yes Itch they went for a feel that is in between the ProV1 and ProV1 X ,,,,it does increase the initial launch

angle but they have also dialed down the driver / full shot spin profile to gain some yards,,,on last years

TP balls which are actually very similar just a different set of specs,,,,, these balls are similar to the original

Penta's mainly just a better overall feel and dimple pattern style and efficiency with good marketing ,,, 

which has allowed them to boost the price to you.

• RobNewy and Itchy4Scratch like this
Vision UV Staybright Ball Technology / www.VisionGolfBall.com by WJB

#13909 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

I was talking with both Nassau and Foremost about their Cast Urethane paint jobs in the past 12 months

as I don't think they work properly both balls can oxidise quite quickly and stain or fade ,,,,,,, but in reality

even the ProV1 brand new is actually an off white and they change after about 6 holes when the initial

slick feel clear coat starts to wear off most of te high points,,,, this is another reason why I ok working

mainly with TP Injected Urethane cover technology ,,,

I can do clear coats ( for the Super Yellow I hope still a work in progress) to really bright blue whites,,,,,

Yes Itch they went for a feel that is in between the ProV1 and ProV1 X ,,,,it does increase the initial launch

angle but they have also dialed down the driver / full shot spin profile to gain some yards,,,on last years

TP balls which are actually very similar just a different set of specs,,,,, these balls are similar to the original

Penta's mainly just a better overall feel and dimple pattern style and efficiency with good marketing ,,, 

which has allowed them to boost the price to you.

The price is actually what is going to make me keep using them I think, they're slightly cheaper than ProVs everywhere i've seen, and you can get them from Golfbox so can use the GolfLink vouchers when they come up. 

Good marketing really. 

#13910 The_Boz

The_Boz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2892 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

Yes for the ProV1 type players at Aust $55 and under $65 a dozen the TM balls are now closer

to being a genuine practical alternative ,,,, but it does cost them many millions of dollars to have

retail players believe this to be the case.....one would think that the majority of players that do

know what they like and is best for their game wouldn't need so much media marketing expense

and tour promotion in order to choose their product when it is a cheaper ball than Titleist.

Here is a picture from another forum where the PTX is getting a test run by a few players that

are looking for better balls at US type prices something like $40 perhaps,,,,without the ad spend

making the balls more expensive than they need be,,,

I have been in recent discussions with Dean SNELL ex VP TaylorMade Golf Balls and Dave Felker

- just retired Polara Golf Balls -  CEO and Ex Vice President Callaway Golf balls about what will happen

in the near future as there are many cheaper pro balls coming to market in the US this year and they

see a lot of pressure coming soon on price points as there is no real innovations that can be used

on cast urethane balls if they stay within the USGA rules,,,,I am just preparing early.

Different white balls ,,,,, the bottom PTX is over 18 holes old,,,

Attached File  PTX Colour.JPG   57.25KB   2 downloads

Edited by The_Boz, 27 April 2017 - 07:29 PM.

• RobNewy and Itchy4Scratch like this
Vision UV Staybright Ball Technology / www.VisionGolfBall.com by WJB

#13911 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Without wanting to sound like a smart arse, I'm actually being quite genuine when I say this. I'm nowhere near the standard of golfer as itch and I understand that as well as fully accept that I'll never get the marketed benefit from a ProV1 or TP5 ball. I'm well aware of what suits my game best and of the vision balls, it's the blue. I don't particularly care if the ball spins on the green so long as it's predictable. I actually quite liked the daisy goker as well because it was consistent in its behaviour given my golf swing imperfections. For me, a ProV1 spins its ears off in a sideways sense if I get a little over it under spin on the ball. I don't strike it consistently enough for it to perform the way I need to improve my scoring, something players like Itch can do.

Whilst I was curious about the TP5 given all the promotion around Sergio winning at Augusta etc but I was never going to pay $16 a sleeve or $60 a dozen to find out that I wouldn't get more benefit than my vision blue or Bridgestone B330RXS. Whilst I was impressed and pleasantly surprised at how the ball performed, there's no way I'm going to buy a box of them. I was more curious to know whether the 5 piece construction was legitimate technology or marketing spin and Boz has clearly explained his view on that and I'm inclined to agree. Generally I think some golfers are suckers in many respects due to marketing. I see guys at my club playing ProV1 & a brand new M1 driver while holding a cap of 24. These are the people companies like TM & Titleist prey on. Having said all that, I think it's important to try some new equipment to see if it's going to help your game and the results of that experimentation should determine if it's rule worth it but in my experience, no equipment is going to hide/improve the flaws in most golf swings.
  • The_Boz, Kiwi and RobNewy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users