#13891 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

Forgot to get the Macaroons out of the shed for Fridays game, so gamed them today at Lynwood with the ISGNSW crowd.  Well it was more of a mob actually.  Oh, OK, half a doz of us got together for a very uninspiring round of golf.

Anyway, I managed to drown 4 of the buggers in the numerous water hazards and lengthy rough that is Lynwood.  They may very well be one of the longer balls when struck well, but I am unable to add anything to that as I struck them anything but well.  I suppose the couple that I did get out of the middle went quite well and was happy with the way they reacted on the green.  I'm hoping a few things I took away from today  ( played a different set of irons and happy with them) will allow me to move forward and improve my ball striking.  Will play them again on Friday.  Might give a couple to Zooey as well, he quite likes the blues for distance, but prefers the green overall.

• The_Boz, Schmuck and MaxxOn like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER

2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National  N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#13892 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

Update.

Played the light green Macaroons at Dunheved today.  (Note to Boz... **** colour to find in any sort of rough.  It was only the fact that there was a bit of white that made the ball identifiable in the foliage.)  I was also using a set of irons I had previously played as per the game above (Daiwa) and quite liked the way I struck them as opposed to the XXIO's I have been playing recently.

As for the ball type itself...  on a course that does not have the water features and hide my socks/snakes grass length rough of Lynwood..... Ferkin fantastic.

1st hole 330m Par 4.  195m off the tee and middle of the fairway. (I normally hit around the 180m mark and off to the left rough) which gave me a 6i into the green.  Usually I would be hitting 4i or 3H to the green.  Landed left edge and rolled about 8' toward the pin.  1 putt and birdie 3 a 4....something I have never done on this hole.  I had a slight stiffening in the front of my pantal region at this point and moved gracefully to the 2nd tee.

2nd hole 465m Par 5.. Once again, I would be happy with anything that lands on the fairway on this hole and then allows me to hit roughly a 150m layup before the creek.  I got to the top of the hill (about the 195m mark again) and then struck a nice 3W over the creek (about 180m and once again... never happened before).  PW to right side of green..2 putts and 5 a 3.

I could go on with a blow by blow description but the end result was 20 pts on the front 9 and 23pts on the back 9. I was clubhouse leader when I left.  Unfortunately Zooey had a bad day and we only combined for a 47 pt total in the 2 ball which had us at R/Up.

End result.

If these are the equivalent to the BlueX, then they are a winner.  I luv the length that the blue gives me and these are as long, BUT for whatever reason, I found that these react a whole lot better on the green. Normally the blue will run out a bit, but these seemed to hit and stick.  That may just as much be to the irons I am using at the moment, but who knows,.  I actually hit a 3H on the 17th tee (157m uphill) that hit the green and stopped within 5' of the pitch mark.  Another oddity for me..

Anyways... happy with the new iron set up I'm using and the Vision balls.

Heading off to the Hunter to play Cypress Lakes and Vintage on Monday.  Will keep the green Macs in the bag and take a couple of blueX for comparison.  Will also hit some Srixon ZStars and Cally Chrome Soft ( I have a sleeve of each left) for comparative points.    OR I might just hit some of those Callaway Hex Bites that Barnesy gave me for my inglorious win of the WBT last Sunday 

Edited by Commish, 08 April 2017 - 12:07 AM.

• The_Boz, Groove_Snob, Weetbix and 1 other like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....

#13893 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC X COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4022 posts
  • LocationIn the garage grinding the grooves of my irons!!

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

Update.

Played the light green Macaroons at Dunheved today.  (Note to Boz... **** colour to find in any sort of rough.  It was only the fact that there was a bit of white that made the ball identifiable in the foliage.)  I was also using a set of irons I had previously played as per the game above (Daiwa) and quite liked the way I struck them as opposed to the XXIO's I have been playing recently.

As for the ball type itself...  on a course that does not have the water features and hide my socks/snakes grass length rough of Lynwood..... Ferkin fantastic.

1st hole 330m Par 4.  195m off the tee and middle of the fairway. (I normally hit around the 180m mark and off to the left rough) which gave me a 6i into the green.  Usually I would be hitting 4i or 3H to the green.  Landed left edge and rolled about 8' toward the pin.  1 putt and birdie 3 a 4....something I have never done on this hole.  I had a slight stiffening in the front of my pantal region at this point and moved gracefully to the 2nd tee.

2nd hole 465m Par 5.. Once again, I would be happy with anything that lands on the fairway on this hole and then allows me to hit roughly a 150m layup before the creek.  I got to the top of the hill (about the 195m mark again) and then struck a nice 3W over the creek (about 180m and once again... never happened before).  PW to right side of green..2 putts and 5 a 3.

I could go on with a blow by blow description but the end result was 20 pts on the front 9 and 23pts on the back 9. I was clubhouse leader when I left.  Unfortunately Zooey had a bad day and we only combined for a 47 pt total in the 2 ball which had us at R/Up.

End result.
If these are the equivalent to the BlueX, then they are a winner.  I luv the length that the blue gives me and these are as long, BUT for whatever reason, I found that these react a whole lot better on the green. Normally the blue will run out a bit, but these seemed to hit and stick.  That may just as much be to the irons I am using at the moment, but who knows,.  I actually hit a 3H on the 17th tee (157m uphill) that hit the green and stopped within 5' of the pitch mark.  Another oddity for me..

Anyways... happy with the new iron set up I'm using and the Vision balls.

Heading off to the Hunter to play Cypress Lakes and Vintage on Monday.  Will keep the green Macs in the bag and take a couple of blueX for comparison.  Will also hit some Srixon ZStars and Cally Chrome Soft ( I have a sleeve of each left) for comparative points.    OR I might just hit some of those Callaway Hex Bites that Barnesy gave me for my inglorious win of the WBT last Sunday

The crows weren't an issue with the coloured ball Commish??
Or do they only have a taste for the yellow balls out there now??
  • The_Boz likes this
Got an issue??

Here's a tissue!! 😭

#13894 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

The crows weren't an issue with the coloured ball Commish??
Or do they only have a taste for the yellow balls out there now??

No problem at all Monsieur Groove.  I even spent a lot more time on the fairway than normal, they didn't go anywhere near them and there were plenty around.

• The_Boz and Groove_Snob like this

#13895 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

Now the task is to choose the vision ball to be played at the OOM tomorrow. Is it the dotty ball that got me by best round ever last weekend, or the red that got me 2 of my best 3 rounds the three weeks prior to that?

I might use a daisy so that I can create some good associations with all three of the ball types I teukarly play

At least I am spoiled for choice.
  • The_Boz likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#13896 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hi Commish, so you saw the value of the white stripe within the design approach,,,,  B)  it is really interesting how I can

use colours that may be a pain to find in the rough but by having a bit of white it seems to overcome the issue.

So yes a fashionable design but also a practical idea,,,,, and you will know its your ball not many of those around. 

ProTour X - Blue is 5 points higher in the core compression ,,,, so I was hoping the two balls would be similar but I knew

one of them would feel perhaps even work better around the green ,,,, so good feedback for sure.

Hi Deege,,,, good to hear you are playing well,,,,,,,

Cheers,

Boz

• Groove_Snob likes this

Vision UV Staybright Ball Technology / www.VisionGolfBall.com by WJB / #byWJB

#13897 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Here is something I can share from the US through a close Golf Media friend that is guiding my US push,,, ProTour X - Blue Spec

I was brief previously because I was on the course with a 27-yr-old John Rahm type of guy who absolutely hammers the ball. He hit the PTX Blue ball squarely down the middle, 375, 360, 350, 315, 380…  He plays Titleist, of course, but said he loves the feel of your ball, thinks he gets 15 yards  more distance and is predicting great spin.

(The wind here and aerated greens clouded certainty.)  He’s chasing his dream a bit late but dominated his PGA performance tests (nearly shooting a  course record). Only two tournaments in but he led into the last day but isn’t used to the pressure.

• pom, Madambo, Groove_Snob and 4 others like this

#13898 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hi Commish, so you saw the value of the white stripe within the design approach,,,,  B)  it is really interesting how I can

use colours that may be a pain to find in the rough but by having a bit of white it seems to overcome the issue.

So yes a fashionable design but also a practical idea,,,,, and you will know its your ball not many of those around. 

ProTour X - Blue is 5 points higher in the core compression ,,,, so I was hoping the two balls would be similar but I knew

one of them would feel perhaps even work better around the green ,,,, so good feedback for sure.

Hi Deege,,,, good to hear you are playing well,,,,,,,

Cheers,

Boz

The white does add a contrast and helps to make the ball visible.  I played the orange and blue at Lynwood and had no problem finding them in the lighter rough and even some of the heavier stuff, I doubt I would have found the light green in some of the places I ended up landing.  Of the three colours the orange was a stand out.  

As for the similarity with the Blue and Macaroon.  For me the blue is just a tad longer as I was getting around the 200m+ mark when I struck it well as opposed to the 195m of the macaroon.  The longest Mac all day was 201m.  The longest blue I have hit is 218m.  Have not hit the blue with the irons I used with the Macs so I will give them a go while in the Hunter to see if the green side reactions are the same or as they have been before with the blue running out more so than the Mac.

• The_Boz and Groove_Snob like this

#13899 Whatahack

Whatahack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationGeelong

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

Hi Boz,
Know it's not Vision related, but would be interested in hearing your views on the Taylormade Project a ball.

Golf Link

http://www.golflink....k_no=3101414554

Game Golf

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/rizzo

In The Bag

Driver: Pink K15

3 Wood: Cobra Baffler X-Trail

Rescue: Cobra Baffler X-Trail

5,6,7,8,9 iron: Cobra AMP

Pitching Wedge: Cobra AMP

Gap Wedge: Cobra AMP

Sand Wedge: Tour Trusty

Putter: Odyssey Works #1

#13900 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

It's an interesting ball,, Nassau make it for TM and also make the similar Snell version ,,, 3 piece softer feel

cast urethane with a design aim of having pretty high greenside spin,,,

The compromise as every ball design does have +'s and -'s is probably in overall distance and driver accuracy

and play in the wind,,,,but all in all it is something I was looking at for my cast urethane project for next year as

I can only do injected TPU covers in the new factory Fantom setup that I have always worked with but is also ok

as I want to work more in the area of brighter covers and my UVEE glow tech ball covers which I cant do in cast

urethane.

• Groove_Snob, RobNewy and Whatahack like this

#13901 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Well after spending a couple of days of increasing my liver and kidney functions by indulging in numerous reds, I finally got a chance at hitting the greens.  Played Cypress Lakes and pitted the ProTour X blue against the Macaroon - Srixon ZstarXV - Goker 3pc blossom and the Cally Hexbite.  The course was in good nick although the fairways were still a tad wet from recent rains in The Hunter and any form of run was at a premium.  Greens had been cored about 3 weeks ago but were only a couple of weeks off being back to normal.  They were about half the pace they would normally be but still reasonably quick and responsive to break.  I was really disappointed (NOT) that all the bunkers were out of play as they are all being refurbished, redesigned or new ones added.  (as if Cypress Lakes needs more bunkers) 

Anyway back to the comparison.  I was actually hitting the ball quite well for a change and followed on from Fridays effort.  Used the Blue as my scoring ball and would have had 39 pts.   

PTX Blue was longest against all balls.  The Macaroon as was the case last Friday was close but still a couple of metres behind.  I was striking the ball quite well into the greens and still found that the macaroon stopped a bit quicker.  Overall, these two balls performed the best, with the Macaroon the closest to the blue in all areas.  Off the tee, iron distance and green side response.  Also think the macaroon sounds/feels just a little softer off the putter face.

Srixon Zstar XV was a good 10 metres behind the blue off the tee and probably the same with the irons.  Responded a bit better on well hit shots into the green, pulling up probably 1 to 1.5 metres quicker than the Blue.  

Goker 3pc Blossom was very much similar in distance and allround performance to the Zstar.

Cally Hexbite.  1st time I had used this ball and found it similar to the Zstar and blossom in distance off the tee.  Not quite as long as the blossom with iron shots and somewhere between the blossom and blue on approaches to the green.  

The other thing that was noticeable was that the blue was the first ball spotted on the fairway except when playing the blossom.  The white cover is way brighter than the Srixon and Cally.

• The_Boz and Madambo like this

#13902 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13308 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

I love the blue.. another 40pt round and the h/cap heading south for a change.

• The_Boz, pom, Madambo and 6 others like this

#13903 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Its my ball of choice too until the Super Yellow version is set,,,,,having said that I have been

just as happy playing the Goker IFP prints seeing they are close and I know their mine for sure

Thanks Commish   :D

Edited by The_Boz, 15 April 2017 - 09:58 AM.

• Commish and Groove_Snob like this

#13904 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

Started off on Sunday with the Blue ball. Started well too with two pars & two wins. I love this ball! It's my fave Vision Ball. For me, it's long & has an adequate level of greenside control.

I will admit to switching it after 2 holes as I found a TP5 in the rough while searching for another bloke's ball, looked like it was next to new so being intrigued by the new fandango wonder ball, I put it in play. I didn't notice it being longer but certainly around the green it held both on mid iron approaches & it checked up on short chips, not something I tend to do. I do think the ball flight it higher although I'm not sure that's a positive as my home club is susceptible to strong wind conditions.

Boz, can you tell me what the difference is with this 5 piece ball to other premium balls on the market & is the difference that considerable that you'd look at adopting the technology into future vision balls?

#13905 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hi M,

Good question ,,,, the main thing to look at from my point of view is performance not marketing benefits.

The PTX RED as a three piece is very close but in achieving the spin levels closer to say the TP5 I lost

a little overall distance,,,, in order to recover the distance whilst maintaining the feel I have been testing

4 piece structures,,, they have been as long as the PTX Blue but I am still working on the feel ,,, 

Will I ever work with Nassau ( TM supplier) on a full pro type cast urethane ball in the future ,,,, maybe

but I am not sure I want to pay a premium for a 5 piece construction when I feel it is only a marketing

approach not a performance requirement ,,, plus I want to keep working in the brighter colouring area

and cast is no good for that at present.

I am only 18 months into my premium ball project,,,,so we have come a long distance quickly and there

are still many improvements to be made to my current balls so I am not convinced that the 5 or 6 piece

cast balls will be doing anything special that I can't match with my TPU multilayer / dual density core

approach seeing as the rules of golf still limit what they can achieve,,,,

• RobNewy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users