362 replies to this topic

#1 petethepilot

petethepilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Residing north of the Tweed, I am not that up to date with things in the colder regions. What's happening with St Andrews Beach these days? A look on the web seemed to indicate a heefty charge ($50 grand)that benefits someone who discovers the secret to eternal life (at least 199 years worth!). Is the second course happening or is it a marginal investment? Saying that, I quite liked some aspects of it compared to the monolyth up the road at the Nat! Thanks
  • handeltav likes this

#2 Strike

Strike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

Firstly, with global warming, our weather will be warmer down here than up there:P. Don't get Golf ball sized hail stones either (make it difficult to find your ball I'd think). From what I've heard regarding, which is just hearsay really, is that it is still going ahead, but hasn't attracted as many members as they hoped for (I'm guessing that excessive price, even though there is no annual fee, would be deterring a lot of people, especially if it seems that it would be difficult to sell the investment later). They seem to be heavily pushing for corporate members these days, at least there is heavy advertising for them. Out of curiosity, what aspects of SAB do you prefer to the national? One thing, the fairways are incredibly wide (lessening the challenge i reckon). National has the variety of three very different very good courses (or 2 very good ones and an average one).

#3 petethepilot

petethepilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info Strike. To answer your question, let me firstly say that I'm not a member of the National although I have considered purchasing a membership a number of times. I have probably played there 25 times with scores ranging from 68 round the Old course to 93 round the Ocean (on a cold and windy Day!!). Things I like about the Nat are: Its ALWAYS in good condition; The staff are always curtious, efficient and friendly; The views (in particular from the old) are spectacular; The Old course is probably the best risk/reward, old style 'SPORTING' course in the country (ie make the shot or suffer the consequences!). In particular, I like shots like 2nd shot back left on 1, Tee shot on 3 off the plates over left traps, Tee shot on 4 to front left pin, 2nd shot on 6 to back pin, Tee shot on 7 off plates to any pin, 2nd shot on 8 going for the green, etc, etc, etc. I know people think the greens on the Old are tricked up, but if you think of them are 2 or 3 greens in one, the concept works! A good shot into the bowl where the pin is located is rewarded; The weather makes the courses infinitely different. They certainly never play the same two times in a row; Final thing is that the houses (in general) blend in to the hills. Not like some places ie the Heritage!!! Things I don't like; The Clubhouse (or should I say the Barn!) How could $17,000,000 be more badly spent! The place has no atmosphere. Hardly any of it is used. The locker rooms are never used! It has all the privacy, homeliness and character of a Woolworths. It will never feel like a private club with a social life the way it is set up. If I was a president for life, I would have kept the old clubhouse. In fact, I would have only have had the one course. Growing the membership to vast proportions to service the 3 courses is IMHO a mistake! IT'S TOO BIG! At the original setup, there was a reasonable chance that you knew most of the members if you walked into the spike bar or the main bar. Not Now! The second thing I don't like is somewhat related to the first. My general feeling for the place is that MONEY RULES! Its lack of clubby membership feel tends to put importance on what you drive, where your holiday house is and what your worth!! I prefer to judge people on their character (both personality and friendliness) rather than their financial position. Ones company and companionship on the course is the most important thing!! (Saying this, I know a number of wonderful people who are members. Ironically, they mostly say that they preferred the club when there was only 1 course!) Thirdly, the place is expensive. $80 to $100 to bring a guest when you are already paying close to $3000 a year is silly. Finally, I think the Norman course is overrated and the Ocean course barely playable unless the pins are in the limited flat areas. (I believe they are/were changing some of the greens to stop balls sucking 60 metres off the front.) Now, St Andrews Beach. Unfortunately, I have only played it once! The things I liked were: The variation and detail on and around the greens. ie many different recovery shots required. The use of hollows and humps for protection rather than the standard deep bunker. The fact that it was playable for the average hacker (as long as he was content to take bogey) as well as challenging to the scratch marker. I don't think this is the case on the courses (any of them) of the National! The concept of a smaller members club where the golf was the thing that mattered! As the clubhouse hadn't (and I believe still hasn't) been built, I was only commenting on the spin from the promotional material. Hence why I was asking for feed back. Hope that fills you in on my comments at the start of the topic. Finally, all said and done, I will probably join the National one day (unless I'm Blackballed!!!)

#4 CaptainScrambles

CaptainScrambles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

interesting that the clubhouse still hasn't been built. the same company owns kennedy bay, and they have been promising a clubhouse there for the past 5 years.

#5 zenobia

zenobia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:07 AM

interesting that the clubhouse still hasn’t been built. the same company owns kennedy bay, and they have been promising a clubhouse there for the past 5 years.

i have heard kennedy bay is struggling as well, it's a shame because both courses are excellent.

#6 redgsr

redgsr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Here's a cut & paste from the latest Commonwealth Newsletter that has been doing the email rounds this morning. St Andrews Beach Golf Links Members may have seen a recent article in a golf magazine, or may have heard via other sources, comments about the sandbelt clubs showing interest in acquiring St Andrews Beach Golf Links. As background to this matter, the golf course at St Andrews Beach on the Mornington Peninsula closed down some time ago due to financial difficulties. This was most unfortunate as this Tom Doak-designed course is regarded by many as the best course on the Peninsula with its wide fairways for those of lesser ability and subtle slopes and strategic bunkering with a requirement for correct angles of approach for those hoping to score well. Since that time the greens and tees have been maintained and more recently there has been a return to fairway mowing and the course is currently in good condition. Ken Stumbles, Geoff King, and I played it on January 7 and it was in excellent shape. About 12 months ago the proprietor of the project had a meeting with representatives of the eight sandbelt clubs but his expectations were quite unrealistic and the discussions came to nothing. The venture subsequently went into receivership. The group which currently holds the mortgage over the golf course section of the development has recently approached the eight sandbelt clubs with a proposal to offer control of the course to these clubs. Discussions are at a very early stage but if agreement on favourable terms were to be possible then the clubs might consider taking over the course and setting it up as a country venue available to their members on a basis which has yet to be developed. We will keep members up to date with any further developments.

#7 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

Wont get up

#8 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Good idea but need as many clubs as possible to contribute and then $40 per round for members of those clubs and $88.00 for non members of those clubs. Yes we can.

#9 bradharro

bradharro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Awesome idea, but i imagine there wll be a hell of a lot of negotiations before anything happens. The question is how many sandblet club members are willing to drive to St Andrews beach for a game when they can play any of the other sanbelt courses using there sandbelt card. If the sandbelt members dont do this then St Andrews Beach (or the new owners being the sandbelt clubs) will find itself in the same predicament that lead to its demise.

#10 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

Brad you will find most of these memebrs will have a hoilday house down that what way. Alot closer to drive to Rye back beach from Portsea than to Royal Melbourne. But like I said, never will get up !

#11 redgsr

redgsr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Bingo. I'm a member at RM, my wife's family has a holiday house at Sorrento, so I would imagine I'd use the St Andrew's course quite a bit. If money were no object I'd join the National, it would be good to me a member of 2 clubs that had 5 courses between them, but until such time the proposal is something I support.

#12 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

I rest my case, but still wont get up !

#13 sarriepod

sarriepod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I heard last week that the receivers have approached a former pro to direct/manage the club. * membership will be about $1000 if already a member at a club in Melbourne. * they aim to create a more inviting and less formal club atmosphere when compared to other penisula courses, allowing thongs to be worn in the clubhouse (when they get one!) * Offer reasonable green fees at $50 a round. Apparently offers by the national, sandbelt clubs and MCC have been way too short to even consider.

#14 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

When you say "THONG" are you talking the thong women wear to the beach I hope. I think you'll find most public gold course dnt let thongs on a golf course, however cros should be allowed !

#15 freddy_k

freddy_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

sarriepod, it will fail dismally if they try to charge Melb based club members $1000 on top of their already high fees. Why would they pay $1000 when they can pay green fees at $50 a pop? And they still dont even have a friggin clubhouse?????/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users