#1 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 27 May 2001 - 08:16 PM

If you can get past the funny accents and the bomb squads,
South Africa would have to rate as one the world's great golfing destinations.

I'm living over here at present and have played a lot of courses around the Western Cape (the Cape Town end of RSA). There is a great mix of of courses usually a lot less crowded and in a lot better condition than most public courses back home.

Some of the best:

Arabella
Westlake
Royal Cape
Erinvale
Steenberg
Atlantic Beach
Spier

These are pretty much at the top end of the golf course market but when you take the exchange rate into consideration you are only paying about $20-50 for a game. Caddies at $15 is pretty nice as well.
There are countless other "run of the mill" courses that still beat your average suburban sydney course hands down.

I was also lucky enough to play at The Links at Fancourt - hosting the Presidents Cup in 2002. This course was a piece of airport land into which they shifted 700,000 cubic metres of soil and basically sculptured this thing out of nothing.

You'll see what i mean on TV next year.

Have a think about your next golfing holiday destination. Its one of the few places left where the Aussie dollar is worth something these days and the standard of golf is exceptional.

I've got a few golf related bits and pieces at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingjam

#2 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 05:15 AM

South Africa certainly sounds a great golfing destination - the Americans won't think so after next year's Presidents Cup.

If only the airfare from east coast Australia was a bit cheaper.

James, you must have been popular over there with the result of the rugby Super 12?

#3 Anonymous

Anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2008 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 11:56 PM

yep - looking forward to the links showing the seppos a thing or 2.
that's one of the best things about being here - all the @!#$ you can lay on them about sports - at least they share an equal dislike for the poms and the kiwis!

tri nations is going to be awesome - going to see the wallabies whip the boks in durban - hope to see some aussies there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users