#1 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

Can somebody please help me. Last weekend the local rule of preferred lies was in place due to the wet condition of the golf course however the I was advised that as I was competing in the Club Matchplay Championships both players had to agree to use the local rule otherwise you had to play the ball as it lies. Sadly for me on the day my openant did not want preferred lies so I had to deal with playing a mud covered ball until it reached the green. Is the decision correct and if so on what rule of golf is it based.

#2 publish

publish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

however the I was advised that as I was competing in the Club Matchplay Championships both players had to agree to use the local rule otherwise you had to play the ball as it lies.
It doesn't matter whether it's matchplay or stroke, if it's written on the Temporary Local Rules board at the time, then it's in force. If they want to remove it for a competition, they have to wipe it off.

#3 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Can I find a rule reference to that as I know that the so called experts at the club will want to disagree with you.

#4 TazzieHacker

TazzieHacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

If a local rule is in force it is there to be taken advantage of. If there is a person or opponent for some unknown reason who doesn't want to take advantage of the local rules it is there choice to do so. Like publish said it is in force to anyone until removed from the local rules board

#5 One_eyed_Jack

One_eyed_Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Rules of Golf, Part A - App 1 Local Rules. Furthermore breach of a local rule in matchplay is loss of hole and if you lost the match I believe you have the right to a rematch or indeed victory due to your oponents breach of said local rule.

#6 Fishman Dan

Fishman Dan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3199 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

But you both had the same conditions. Did you lose the match? If you won, would you be asking for advice?

#7 TazzieHacker

TazzieHacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

But you both had the same conditions. Did you lose the match? If you won, would you be asking for advice?

It doesn't matter if they both had the same conditions the local rule was ignored

#8 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6442 posts
  • LocationCoonabarabran

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:31 AM

Yes I did loose but thought I was ripped off and your advice confirms my thoughts. Thanks a lot for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users