17 replies to this topic

#1 grumpy_dog

grumpy_dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:43 AM

it's time that we spoke about the Holden VS Ford debate...
i would like to know which car, golfer prefer?

the early GT40 and the GT351 were THE BEST, and with the new BA Fords and the ace looking GT from FPV, i'm totally converted from being a Holden Man!
The GEN III engine in the VY is too damaged for me...maybe when the new GEN IV's come out...but until then

P.S. Nothing will ever beat the greatness of the Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
LONG LIVE THE GT-R

#2 raidrboy

raidrboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:02 AM

I used to be a Commodore man had a VS but it burnt out the valve guides at 40,000kms so I sold it and I now have a XR8. It goes like the clappers is reliable, comfortable and has terrific fuel economy for an 8. I am a fully converted Ford man now. :twisted:

#3 taylor360

taylor360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:39 AM

i have hated fords until their current model recently came out. it is beautiful, i think im a changing man

#4 macca

macca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:53 AM

Grumpy Dog you answered your own question. You wouldn't even consider a piece-o-shite Holden or Ford when when you could have the GT-R. Holdens and Fords are best left to the poor saps who get them as a fleet car.

#5 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:07 AM

Love the new Holden Coupe, the Ford Mustang Coupe and the Nissan Skyline R33 GTR...

Given the choice, holden coupe for me for reliability and styling...(defn not for the excellent fuel consumption... :roll: )

#6 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:50 AM

i love fords but have owned commodores as well the new xr6 turbo should be in the garage in a months time can't wait.

the ford XY GTHO was "the" best muscle car ever built in australia,i have owned a couple of XY's (futura 351,falcon 302) when i first got my liscence in 1981.

#7 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 07:47 PM

I notice that the Stone Brothers have an Open Day on this Saturday at Yatala.
I might swing by and chew the fat with Ingall and Ambrose !

#8 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:02 PM

Holden... nothing else comes close.

#9 Courty

Courty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:08 PM

I've been a Holden fan since I used to ride in the back of the oldies' Kingswood wagon smile.gif
Falcons have never seemed to quite compete, until the BA, that is. It's about time they caught up. I would love to have a turbo XR6. (I hear they had to de-tune the turbo 6 as it was outperforming the XR8 in testing... great potential for a bit of engine-tweaking).

But for now, I'll keep puttering around in my 5yo lancer :cry:

#10 cazandpaul

cazandpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

Just can't forget the Toranas (XU1 and SLR 5000) powered by Mr Brock.

Holden by the length of Conrod.

Regards

Paul smile.gif

#11 grumpy_dog

grumpy_dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 03:04 AM

You wouldn't even consider a piece-o-shite Holden or Ford when when you could have the GT-R. Holdens and Fords are best left to the poor saps who get them as a fleet car.

point is...most 'poor saps' me being one, would be better off with a fleet car. only real point to owning any super car or high performance car is the speed. where in aus can you rip the engine that well legally...not many places. The only other reason you would have a high performance car is for the image. While petrol heads would recognise you in a Skyline, supra or RX7, most people would better know your Clubsports, GT, HSV and Falcons.

THe price to upgrade your GT-R is also a major problem. Body kits look mad, but have little purpose other than looking good, and if you don't have the engine to match it...your gonna look pretty stupid.

#12 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 03:21 AM

Always preferred European cars myself... biggrin.gif

#13 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 06:28 PM

Inherited my uncles EH when I was 17. He had it from new with a red HP motor. By the time I got it, it had only done 40,000 miles as he use to use it only to drive from the farm in Brogo to do the shopping in Bega. The whole thing was fish oiled so there was no rust.

A mechanic mate of mine helped me do it up. Kept the look fairly original, except sat it a little lower & got some wider tyres on the original rims to give that bubble effect. The motor was worked, as well as having extractors to get rid of the junk & sway bars to improve the handling.

When the car was finished it was perfect. And fast too. I was travelling down to Wollongong one day after my mate had said, "Don't drive too fast in the first few months after the engine has been reworked." So I was just cruising. But then I noticed I was passing all these car, & I couldn't work out why there were all going so slow. I was only doing 100 kph... then it dawned on me. My speedo was in miles. I was doing 100 mph & I was even trying.

It was perfect for 3 months, until some **** coming home from the local RSL ran a stop sign at 80 kph & slammed into the side of me. He hit the door pillar just behind where I was sitting. I was knocked out for a while, but due to the sturdiness of the EH, I wasn't injured in any way. A modern car & I may dead.

The EH was a write off. She gave up her life to save mine. The greatest act a car could ever do for her human.

From that day to this, cars have just been a way to get around. Investing too much time in them is a waiste for me.

Andrew

#14 joe

joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 07:14 PM

Always preferred European cars myself

I'm on your side Henry. Although I drive Jap. & American :?

Joe

#15 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 10:27 PM

Always preferred European cars myself

I'm on your side Henry. Although I drive Jap. & American :?
Joe

well...don't leave us wondering...what european car in particular??? biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users