7 replies to this topic

#1 65aust

65aust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:28 AM

Three weeks ago I attended a club fitting talk from a prominent PGA member/club fitter - don't ask, probably not telling. In passing he said these shafts can't be hit except by the very strong and they are going/have gone out of business. As he is full of it normally, I'm assuming talking out of rear end, but has anyone heard anything about this?

#2 bloodnut

bloodnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE: 65aust @ Apr 10 2007, 07:28 PM

Three weeks ago I attended a club fitting talk from a prominent PGA member/club fitter - don't ask, probably not telling. In passing he said these shafts can't be hit except by the very strong and they are going/have gone out of business. As he is full of it normally, I'm assuming talking out of rear end, but has anyone heard anything about this?

Mate I used to have a set of Brunswick 6.5's.
Thaey had a step pattern similar to Dynamic Gold and they were stiff as hell.I'm pretty sure they were called Brunswick Presicion shafts and were made by the same company as Rifle shafts.
Someone else might have a better idea...

#3 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

You are right bloodnut. Brunswick sold off it's golf division to Royal Precision in 1996. They make boats, ten pin bowling gear & the like now.
Royal Precision shut up shop last year & True Temper bought a bunch of the patents & are planning to relaunch several of the more popular lines in the not to distant future AFAIA.

#4 Windyhill

Windyhill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE: 65aust @ Apr 10 2007, 07:28 PM

Yes, they have gone out of business. I'd heard TT would relaunch some of the popular shafts like Project X. I never played the old Brunswick stepped shafts. However, I've used Rifle shafts in the irons and some fairway woods. I never found them had to hit, in fact, they were easier to hit than the equivalent DG in the fairway woods. I when down a half a flex in the irons. It was on the club fitters recommendation I changed from DG and I liked the feel and the performance. But what would I know laugh.gif

#5 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

Sure are blasts from the past. Info above is correct in terms of who bought them out. I may be wrong but they were amoungst the first shaft companies to frequency batch shafts.

#6 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE: iseekgolfguru @ Apr 10 2007, 08:25 PM

Sure are blasts from the past. Info above is correct in terms of who bought them out. I may be wrong but they were amoungst the first shaft companies to frequency batch shafts.

Yes, they developed the 'Brunswick Slope' which has been the basis of flex matching for Brunswick / Royal Precision shafts.

Mick

#7 65aust

65aust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

Thanks. The impression I got from him was not only out of business but shaft soon to be unavailable because basically unplayable for most people. He also gave the old ZZ Lite shaft a spray for the same reason - had to be super strong player. Having played both shafts for a long time and not being especially strong I found the comments quite strange and a touch worrying because I want Project X's next time round.

#8 Virge666

Virge666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4229 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE: 65aust @ Apr 11 2007, 10:02 AM

I found the comments quite strange and a touch worrying because I want Project X's next time round.

I had a 3 marker in last week with a set of Callaway X-Forged and flighted project X shafts in 6.0. I took a 5 and 7 iron up to the range and I have to say they were almost un-hittable.

4 professionals had a hit, a couple of other low markers... I spent the evening trying to find someone who could get any kind of flight out the 5 iron... if you flushed the 7 - she would stay airbourne . . . but the 5 came down like a blind roof tiler.

Have a good test of them before you commit.. I am sure the 5.0 and 5.5 are an easier club for a mere mortal, just keep in mind that these things are telegraph poles !

Enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users