21 replies to this topic

#1 cjgolf

cjgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Curiously at least one of his coaches has at least some TGM background.

When he thanked his coaches he first mentione Mike Bender.

I am pretty sure he as at least some TGM background.

I just did a bit of research and it seems he also spent a number of years with Mac O'Grady ie. Bender did.

Obviously his putting style works for him and no doubt he has his reasons for putting that way.

#2 Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

There looked to be quite a few 'animal actions' among the contenders.

Tiger Woods looks more like a bash merchant every time I see him. If not for an astonishingly good short game he would have finished way down the list.

#3 TheBlade

TheBlade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE: Dingo @ Apr 9 2007, 10:00 AM

Tiger Woods looks more like a bash merchant every time I see him. If not for an astonishingly good short game he would have finished way down the list.

What's a "bash merchant"?

#4 Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

Somebody who swings himself off his feet with the result that he has very little idea where his tee shots are going. Probably smasher is a better word.

Even his iron shot swings seem to be much less fluid than they used to be.

#5 cjgolf

cjgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE: TheBlade @ Apr 9 2007, 11:31 AM

Blade,

off topic somewhat but since u are onboard for this thread

did u see the shot by Tiger - I think it was his second into 18 today

he seemed to really cut off his follow thru with the arms but was very open chested etc

was there some reason he needed to the play the shot like that?

I really only saw the swing and end result but looking at where he was positioned on the fairway it struck me as an unusual swing

did anyone else feel it was an unusual shot?

#6 Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

did anyone else feel it was an unusual shot?

Yes, but it tallied with the rest of Tiger's game. He looked like he was fighting with his swing rather than using his natural talent.

#7 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

Cupped left wrist at impact for putting is fine as long as it starts and finishes with the same anlges in place.

#8 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:48 AM

Back on topic.

QUOTE: cjgolf @ Apr 9 2007, 09:42 AM

Curiously at least one of his coaches has at least some TGM background...

QUOTE: Dingo @ Apr 9 2007, 10:00 AM

There is nothing wrong with Zach's swing, whether viewed from a TGM perspective or not. It certainly isn't an 'animal action'.

Yes, he does have a cupped left wrist at impact but it is cupped at address also. Any attempt to flatten it during the swing would obviously have disasterous results. His wrist is 'effectively' flat throughout.

I love Zach's swing. His strong left hand grip fits well with his angled hinge action.

Mick

#9 chiper

chiper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

This is an interesting topic as I’m currently trying to get my head around the different wrist actions.

Question for Mick & others, I have seen a few pros set up with an iron & driver with what looks like a slightly cupped left wrist at address, Baddeley & Trevor Immelmen comes to mind,
I presume this is ok providing the left wrist is flat at impact, but as mentioned not mandatory for putting.
Or is a cupped left wrist at address something to stay clear of? I’m thinking perhaps it may be beneficial for a lagging club head takeaway?

#10 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE: chiper @ Apr 9 2007, 07:38 PM

I’m thinking perhaps it may be beneficial for a lagging club head takeaway?

With a weak to neutral left hand grip, a bent (cupped) left wrist will put the club in a lagging position. But not so in the case of Zach Johnson where the bent left wrist is a result of a strong left hand grip.

If the left hand grip is sufficiently strong, bending the left wrist will result in similar motion of the club as cocking of the wrist with a weakish grip. Since most golfers have the wrist slightly more cocked at address than at impact, those with very strong grips will have it slightly bent at address. Fred Couples is another good example.

Or is a cupped left wrist at address something to stay clear of?

Opinions here will differ. Some say that a flat left wrist is just that - flat. But IMO, the left wrist needs only to retain the original Horizontal (bent, flat or arched) position throughout the swing for the swing to be geometrically correct. So if the left wrist is bent at address then it should remain bent to the same degree throughout the swing. It may then be regarded as effectively flat and satisfy the Imperative of the flat left wrist (if you believe that the FLW is indeed an imperative).

Mick

#11 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

Chiper...in my mind a bent left wrist at address is fine, and is required if you are going to lag the clubhead away. In my experience it is almost impossible to get a lagging sensation in the takeaway started from fix.

#12 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

FLW is only a point of reference to aid those who have no idea how their hinges are working and where their club face ends up on the down swing and through impact.

If a golfer is able to maintain their wrist angles from setup, back swing and back down again into impact then theoretically, the club face will return to square.

Its all relative, like the pivot thing. You can still hit the ball with a reverse pivot as long as your entire swing brings everything back to square for impact. power and distance will be an issue and if your shots go haywire, it'll be harder to work out as your swing would be that unique that it will require plenty of study of your normal swing to determine where you are going wrong. This is jsut an extreme example so dont get the lynch mob onto me!

The more conforming your swing is to established schools of thought, the easier it is to determine how to improve and troubleshoot.

#13 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

A FLW is ideal for many parts of the swing, in particular the uncocking motion is totally disrupted by an arch or bent wrist. So for those who set up bent, they have to get flat, uncock and then return to bent through impact to keep their alignments in place. Gets tricky.

#14 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE: iseekgolfguru @ Apr 13 2007, 01:00 PM

A FLW is ideal for many parts of the swing, in particular the uncocking motion is totally disrupted by an arch or bent wrist. So for those who set up bent, they have to get flat, uncock and then return to bent through impact to keep their alignments in place. Gets tricky.

No offence Guru, but that is absolutely incorrect.

A bent or arched left wrist can be cocked just as well as a FLW without ever having to get it flat. In fact, plenty of very good golfers do it all the time.

Mick

#15 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

If I try to ###### my wrist when it is bent I just end up rotating my forearm. Just trying it sitting at desk and anatomically it cannot ###### properlu when fully bent. When a little bent it can ###### a little, but not as much as it can when flat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users