30 replies to this topic

#1 GolfGeezer

GolfGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

Having just come across these concepts, I am interested to hear how other have gone with them.

Sorry if this has been done before (I had a bit of a search). If so, could someone point me to the right thread please.

Otherwise, here goes.

If you've tried the Clear Keys concept, or better still had a go at the Double Connexion book, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. Brief views please, no theses.

Cheers, Peter.

#2 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:08 AM

It's good...worth a read...don't listen to Novice!

Short enough?

#3 GE_convert

GE_convert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE: Toolish @ Feb 13 2007, 03:08 PM

It's good...worth a read...don't listen to Novice!

LOL ... I thought I had you converted to the new paradigm in psychology Toolish!

Swing thoughts like down and out to the low point work pretty good for me. If that thought is not there my mind automatically makes the ball the low point in the swing, which gives me zero compression and no distance! If only I could program 1-L-15 in my noggin I would be one happy golfer (Okay now get your little yellow books out and find out what 1-L-15 means.)

#4 birdie_man

birdie_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1633 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

I have had a lot of success...most notibly with putting.

At LEAST it is worth giving a good shot. (try for a few rounds)

#5 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE: Novice @ Feb 13 2007, 03:57 PM

LOL ... I thought I had you converted to the new paradigm in psychology Toolish!

Swing thoughts like down and out to the low point work pretty good for me. If that thought is not there my mind automatically makes the ball the low point in the swing, which gives me zero compression and no distance! If only I could program 1-L-15 in my noggin I would be one happy golfer (Okay now get your little yellow books out and find out what 1-L-15 means.)

Hi Novice,

Do you think if you "could" program 1-L-15 in your noggin that it would no longer be a necessary swing thought?

#6 GE_convert

GE_convert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE: spike71 @ Feb 15 2007, 02:25 AM

Hi Novice,

Do you think if you "could" program 1-L-15 in your noggin that it would no longer be a necessary swing thought?

Hi Spike71,

Yes, but hitting down and out and continuing the downward thrust until both arms are straight is not a natural action. It seems as if we are hard wired to place the low point of the swing at the ball, rather than where it really is under the left arm pit. Hence the tendency for most golfers to just sweep the ball off the ground without taking a divot. Unless I focus on the thought of hitting down and out to the true low point past the ball, my natural tendencies kick in and I just take the ball as my low point and clip it off the grass.

#7 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE: Novice @ Feb 15 2007, 09:19 AM

Yes, but hitting down and out and continuing the downward thrust until both arms are straight is not a natural action.

I disagree. From the first time my children picked up a golf club, they hit down and out. It seems that when golfers take up the game at a later age, they have a problem hitting down and out due to some preconceived idea of how the ball should be hit.

Mick

#8 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Interesting point there Vman. Give a little kid a plastic club and ball. They will hold it all wrong but they do tend to almost mash the ball into the ground just to make contact with hitting action. Then they work out it needs to go forwards and the swot adjusts a bit, but still mainly down. If they have nver seen a golf ball hit, then have no concept that it has to fly yet. Ice hockey slap shots come to mind.

Show a little kid the right way to imitate early and a great swing just seems to happen.

#9 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE: Novice @ Feb 15 2007, 08:19 AM

Hi Spike71,

Yes, but hitting down and out and continuing the downward thrust until both arms are straight is not a natural action. It seems as if we are hard wired to place the low point of the swing at the ball, rather than where it really is under the left arm pit. Hence the tendency for most golfers to just sweep the ball off the ground without taking a divot. Unless I focus on the thought of hitting down and out to the true low point past the ball, my natural tendencies kick in and I just take the ball as my low point and clip it off the grass.

Hi Novice,

You know, I find it really interesting how we use the word "natrual" or "natural tendencies". Personally I don't believe anything is natural...I think everything is <u>learned</u>. There are 3 basic hinges you can program into a shot. Open the little yellow book to 2-G and learn to master all three so you can "know" the differences. Each of these releases have certain effects on the ball and can be very valuable when playing the great game.

As far as divots are concerned, I think it is usually overrated and overdone. My divots are rather thin but they take place after the ball is hit. So taking a divot may not neccessarily mean you are achieving compression.

By no means am I saying that your swing thought of down and out to the true low point is wrong. Programing that thought or action is a good thing, the question, I think, is <u>when</u> do you program it into the noggin'/computer? And, can you let it be a "natural" occurance or a built in learned component that you don't have to think about while doing it?

#10 GolfGeezer

GolfGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Um ... can we stay on topic guys! tongue.gif

Thks, Peter.

#11 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3753 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

Mate...threads around here very rarely stay on topic!

And sometimes the best learning is through OT discussions!

#12 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

Clear keys have been a revelation for my chipping.

#13 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE: Grumpy @ Feb 15 2007, 11:24 AM

Um ... can we stay on topic guys! tongue.gif

Thks, Peter.

Hi Peter,

There is a ton of learning that takes place before reaching automatic. That is not to say it takes a long time to learn a ton. Some can look and do, others have their way, too. To know "your way" to best process and produce is the surest way to reach your potential.

When I asked the earlier questions it was for a purpose based on my selfish desire to help novice on his path towards self discovery and eventually towards automatic. Programing is a function in the use of clear keys. One of the first steps is knowing that you actually <u>can</u> program the computer. When and how and with what is also part of the process. So, tell me, what was the topic again? smile.gif

#14 GolfGeezer

GolfGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE: spike71 @ Feb 16 2007, 01:52 AM

Hi Peter,

So, tell me, what was the topic again? smile.gif

I think PJ sums it up :
http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=270628

Cheers, Peter.

#15 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE: Grumpy @ Feb 16 2007, 07:56 AM

I think PJ sums it up :
http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=270628

Cheers, Peter.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Girl from Epaneferin...that song gets my adrenaline pumping...had a crush on that chick for years but never met her. biggrin.gif

I like PJ's approach...gotta have fun with it!!!

But to be fair, Peter, PJ's post was in another thread not this one, sorry.

OK, back on track. The 32 Ball Drill is wonderfully structured and one of the best learning tools that was ever given to me!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users