26 replies to this topic

#1 Jza80

Jza80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

Found some videos of Keygolf, Dr Carey Mumford posted on Youtube explaining clearkeys in a golfing lesson to a TGM teacher as well as a video interview. Was pretty excited to find these videos so with Keygolf's permission, please find links below:

Video 1: The Doc giving a clearkey golf lesson/interview

Video 2: The Doc in a 4 minute interview with a HK-based TGM instructor, Kenny To

#2 wavemaker

wavemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hey Paul, isn't that your crazy mate Ken?

#3 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hey wave, yes the one and only who you met at the Sanctuary Cove workshop:)

#4 mattWISC

mattWISC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

I've had the good fortune of meeting and working a bit with Carey. He's certainly got some great info and stories. Hope all is well Carey.

#5 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

To Jza80 and Ken,

Thank you!

#6 birdie_man

birdie_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1633 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

Peter pecker pitter patter w/e it is...weird Clear Key man lol. My brain would explode before I hit the ball.

Good to see more of you anyway Carey u haven't been on iseek much lately.

Man if he can come see you from Hong Kong I should get my arse down to TN...one of these days.

I had some questions for you but I forgot em cept for one. (hopefully they will be released from the clutches of the ol incubator soon if u catch my drift)

Cept for one:

Should both your Clear Keys (primary and backup) be similar in length and "flow"?

-PAULSKI

#7 keygolf

keygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE: birdie_man @ Feb 8 2007, 09:08 PM

Peter pecker pitter patter w/e it is...weird Clear Key man lol. My brain would explode before I hit the ball.

Man if he can come see you from Hong Kong I should get my arse down to TN...one of these days.

I had some questions for you but I forgot em cept for one. (hopefully they will be released from the clutches of the ol incubator soon if u catch my drift)

Cept for one:

Should both your Clear Keys (primary and backup) be similar in length and "flow"?

-PAULSKI

The easy answer to that is "yes," although it doesn't have to be absolute, since there is sufficient flexibilty in our systems to accommodate slight changes, as with the golf swing. It helps to stay as close as possible to the length and pentameter, however, to avoid the adjustments that have to be made when changes are "too large."

That's one of those things (changes) that lurks behind the scene, so to speak, so we don't notice it until the price we pay for adjustment is actually visible. It's another of the "shifting gears" principles. Takes a little space, so we don't make things grind with a "too fast clutch." That way, you don't have to get your system used to a different rhythm when the change is made.

I'm around, but most of the posts have referred to things that don't involve the mental game, so I just sort of "lurk."

#8 birdie_man

birdie_man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1633 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE: keygolf @ Feb 9 2007, 09:03 AM

The easy answer to that is "yes," although it doesn't have to be absolute, since there is sufficient flexibilty in our systems to accommodate slight changes, as with the golf swing. It helps to stay as close as possible to the length and pentameter, however, to avoid the adjustments that have to be made when changes are "too large."

That's one of those things (changes) that lurks behind the scene, so to speak, so we don't notice it until the price we pay for adjustment is actually visible. It's another of the "shifting gears" principles. Takes a little space, so we don't make things grind with a "too fast clutch." That way, you don't have to get your system used to a different rhythm when the change is made.

Cool.

I guess u don't want it to be too similar tho or it will defeat the purpose of having a backup key? No? (just an inkling)

I'm around, but most of the posts have referred to things that don't involve the mental game, so I just sort of "lurk."

Ya I've noticed that...

I guess we all must have everything in place already eh...

Yes that must be it. smile.gif

#9 oztrainee

oztrainee

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hey...

What a wonderful forum here.. is a small world at this internet age...

I know SPIKE... he is a friend of my friend and is the other friend of my friend... so he is a friend..
Carey.. he is a wonderful young man... and everybody knows him...
Paul the mighty mouse.. A guy had been helping me on TGM stuff for the past years.
Birdie man... met him on other forums
Wavemaker .. I think I met WM in Queensland.

In fact.. the key was

Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickle Pepper peas. If peter picked that pickle pepper peas, then where is that pickle pepper peas that peter piper picked...

For me the above key is not a very effective key for me, as I know the key inside out (as I was given the key by a speechtherapist, when I was younger), but the above key might be good for someone who is not familiar with the structure of the key.

Dr.. do you think the more complex the key is, the better... as you can focus more on the getting the key right... but I think the ideal key should be something complex, but have to be relatively short

Either something difficult to pronouce or difficult to remember.

Such as ... RED LORRY, YELLOW LORRY.. (where you have to pay upmost attention to it when you want to get this right)

So...
Mary has a little Lamb...

Is relatively simple, even a CHINA man can pronouce it effectively. Furthermore if something easy to remember, then we don't have to switch our brain, as well as take much effort to work the key.

The key should be there to get our mind to focus on "something"...shortly after the 6 second pause..(during the automatic mode)

I think we should all get ourselve a Larry Potter book...and start using the Spell for our ClearKey.

e.g
<u>Silencio Stupefy Reducto Obliviate </u>

and add <u>Flipendo</u> if you are doing a FLIP release 10-24F

Ammm or start using CHINESE phrases for your ClearKey>. if your mother tongue is English...

Let me tell you a secret.. the GOLFGURU use CHINESE Clearkey when he play golf.. go and ask him...

Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying...
laugh.gif

#10 keygolf

keygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE: oztrainee @ Feb 10 2007, 11:38 AM

Hey...

What a wonderful forum here.. is a small world at this internet age...

I know SPIKE... he is a friend of my friend and is the other friend of my friend... so he is a friend..
Carey.. he is a wonderful young man... and everybody knows him...
Paul the mighty mouse.. A guy had been helping me on TGM stuff for the past years.
Birdie man... met him on other forums
maker .. I think I met WM in Queensland.

In fact.. the key was

Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickle Pepper peas. If peter picked that pickle pepper peas, then where is that pickle pepper peas that peter piper picked...

For me the above key is not a very effective key for me, as I know the key inside out (as I was given the key by a speechtherapist, when I was younger), but the above key might be good for someone who is not familiar with the structure of the key.

I'm not quite sure I understand how you are using the expression "key" above. Was it a clearkey or was it an exercise being used to offset a speech impediment?

Dr.. do you think the more complex the key is, the better... as you can focus more on the getting the key right... but I think the ideal key should be something complex, but have to be relatively short

Either something difficult to pronouce or difficult to remember.

Such as ... RED LORRY, YELLOW LORRY.. (where you have to pay upmost attention to it when you want to get this right)

So...
Mary has a little Lamb...

Is relatively simple, even a CHINA man can pronouce it effectively. Furthermore if something easy to remember, then we don't have to switch our brain, as well as take much effort to work the key.

The key should be there to get our mind to focus on "something"...shortly after the 6 second pause..(during the automatic mode)

I think we should all get ourselve a Larry Potter book...and start using the Spell for our ClearKey.

e.g
<u>Silencio Stupefy Reducto Obliviate </u>

and add <u>Flipendo</u> if you are doing a FLIP release 10-24F

Ammm or start using CHINESE phrases for your ClearKey>. if your mother tongue is English...

Let me tell you a secret.. the GOLFGURU use CHINESE Clearkey when he play golf.. go and ask him...

Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying...
laugh.gif

You can use anything you want to use as long as it meets the criteria for a clearkey and you implement it properly. You may find help elsewhere in the forum by doing a search. There have been a number of discussions on the topic. And, yes, you do focus your attention on the key itself, but the complexity doesn't matter when you understand the principle and decide to do it. Many players use foreign sayings and things they don't understand linguistically. That's OK as well.

#11 milan

milan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

"Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickle Pepper peas. If peter picked that pickle pepper peas, then where is that pickle pepper peas that peter piper picked"

i would think that this clearkey is too complicated...my understanding is that you want something simple occupy your conscious mine ...and not some tongue twister

#12 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

Peter...etc, does seem a 'key that would make most quiet brains shudder just to get it right. Interesting about using a foreign phrase. Would foreign musical lyrics for instance clear or clog up players minds? What do you guys think? Music is interesting in itself as I see a lot of young players on the range with Ipods attached.

#13 keygolf

keygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE: milan @ Feb 11 2007, 03:47 PM

"Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickle Pepper peas. If peter picked that pickle pepper peas, then where is that pickle pepper peas that peter piper picked"

i would think that this clearkey is too complicated...my understanding is that you want something simple occupy your conscious mine ...and not some tongue twister

I'm with you, personally, though I've had students that liked tongue twisters and were good at them. The real idea is for each person to pick a key that they like, satisfies the requirements and works well for them. In my files are well over 500 hundred that people have sent me, so the sky is the limit.

I always use a simple one to get people started, and then most of them come up with their own. There are a lot of "Mary had..." users.

Once, about 15 years ago, I found Bobby Brue sitting in the ariport, waiting on his flight, and he had a yellow pad and was writing down keys as he thought of them. Most original guiy I even met.
a couple of his:
"Wonder why Hawaii has Interstate highways."
"Wonder why abbreviation is such a long word."

In fact, I have a video tape of Bobby being interviewed at a tournament, which I will try to convert to digital when I have time, so it can be posted here.

#14 spike71

spike71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Remember. When stepping on the brake your life is in your foot's hand.

George Carlin? laugh.gif

#15 GolfGeezer

GolfGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

After stumbling on this thread, I read a couple of the iseekgolf.com articles by Carey, and found them v. interesting. What is the best way to learn the principles of clearkeys/keygolf?

I visited the keygolf website. Is that the best - it has a lot of articles and other references, but I was kind of expecting a step by step process. Is there a book?

Thanks, Peter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users