#16 drew74

drew74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE: kinghg @ Jan 10 2007, 06:31 PM

I too know very little. The course is off Golf Links Rd in South Frankston, about a 7-8 minute drive from Peninsula. I've heard the following but not sure how much is true, and how much has been made up by people that claim they know what's going on there:-

Membership is very elite and most on the committee are elderly. They have a committee rule that you are not allowed on the committee unless you are under 70, however, there is a clause that if you are over 70 you can be sponsored onto the committee by another committeeman. So they all sponsor each other and the clique and rules remain.

Membership is anywhere between $400 a year and total cost of running the place for the year divided by however many members there are. That could get pretty exxy but not if your a millionaire.

I know many people in the Frankston area that didn't even know the course was there. Some even live within a kilometre. There is no golf sign out the front and the scorecard is very minimal.

The clubhouse is a weatherboard house with a verandah surrounding the front. Views of Melbourne from the verandah and the 1st tee.

reminds me of The Stonecutters!!! good work mate, i had no idea there was a course there.

#17 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE: Jack @ Jan 10 2007, 01:43 PM

Kingy - when are you taking me there for a game?????

Maybe we can have an ISG day there ? laugh.gif

MM

#18 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE: kinghg @ Jan 10 2007, 07:31 PM

Membership is very elite and most on the committee are elderly. They have a committee rule that you are not allowed on the committee unless you are under 70,

I know someone who wanted to be a member there. They were quite keen to invite him down as they were looking to get some younger members down there. He is 60.

#19 ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

I realise this forum is years old but.... One of my good mates has just had his membership finalised and he'll be in there playing by the end of Feb 2012. He's 35 years old, the youngest member. He tells me his in-laws were amongst the previous youngest members.....they're in their mid 60's. The course has been there since before WW1. It apparently went into disrepair in the 50's. Land was sold off for multiple millions to the hospital that has been built on the corner. Membership is $800 a year but a round of 9 is still $20 for members. $20 stuffed into an honour box apparently.

#20 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

Sir Dallas Brooks apparently used to hit it up most weekends there by himself, and he'd take his Rolls Royce down the fairway.

#21 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

makes sense I always thought it was odd that there was a golf links road with no apparent golf courses.

#22 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

Played there a few times many years ago as a very good friend of our family was the Course Superintendant for years and lived on the property. We would visit and after lunch go and play. Serious, there was no one there in those days, you would be lucky to see one group on a Sunday. I googled the club a few weeks ago as it was mentioned on SEN radio and the history is great reading. A beautiful little course with lots of narrow tee shots, small greens and plenty of gums. As stated, hard to get a game unless you know a Member.

#23 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

a very good friend of our family was the Course Superintendant for years and lived on the property.

“Golf is played between the ears”

Initials 'BM'?

#24 St_Jubbsy

St_Jubbsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

That tree couldn't have been planeted by the queen in 1923 as there here was no Royal visit to Australia that year and queen Elizabeth II was the first reigning Monarch to visit Australia in 1954. Maybe it refers to the Elizabeth, who was married to Edward Duke of York and who later became King George VI upon his brother abdicating. She became the queen Mother. They visited Victoria in 1927? Sorry, I know I am nitpicking but just interesting.

#25 Smithy1985

Smithy1985

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

That tree couldn’t have been planeted by the queen in 1923 as there here was no Royal visit to Australia that year and queen Elizabeth II was the first reigning Monarch to visit Australia in 1954.

Maybe it refers to the Elizabeth, who was married to Edward Duke of York and who later became King George VI upon his brother abdicating. She became the queen Mother. They visited Victoria in 1927?

Sorry, I know I am nitpicking but just interesting.

You are correct, tree was planted by the queen Mother. Per records queen made a visit 1954.

#26 TurfN3rd

TurfN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

I heard that if you nominate someone as a new member and they get rejected, then you get the boot from the club too! Harsh, but good idea to keep local riff raff away

#27 TheWeekendGolfer

TheWeekendGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Most clubs don't look too kindly on the proposers of blackballed candidates.

#28 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

a very good friend of our family was the Course Superintendant for years and lived on the property.

Initials ‘BM’?

JG?

#29 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Initials ‘BM’?

Lizzie i don't think so. To be honest my brother & I have forgotten his name and my contacts also cannot remember. I have been trying to make contact with the club but no success as yet. I will get the answer and advise initials.

#30 Johncantplay

Johncantplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

Been lucky enough to play here a number of times, really interesting course, feels like you are in the middle of nowhere cos of the privacy the trees give you & also most times you are the only one playing... From memory, you have to be invited to be a member & most members are already members at say, Royal Melbourne as well as maybe Sorrento & then take the grandkids out to Frankston for a bit of a hit. Tough life for them, I bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users