• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 bd2068

bd2068

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

I am looking at replacing my wife's ageing powercaddy golf buggy. I have been looking a number of ebay items and was especially interested in any feedback on atomik or greenwell brands

#2 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

I would suggest buying a name brand and buying local. The chinese import stuff is crap with no back up. Even the higher quality products have problems occasionally and need service and without a local repairer you are up the smelly creek without a means of propulsion. My MGI Navigator has been back twice for repairs, once under warranty and once at my expense. Both were electronics related.

One of the members at my club started importing cheap buggies from China but found on arrival that none of the electronics met Australian Standards and had to be replaced. During the redesign and replacement the electronic engineer who did the job (I played golf with him 3 weeks ago so this is fresh in my memory) found that they were of exceptionally poor quality and said that they weren't likely to last a year.

#3 The Munted Dr.

The Munted Dr.

oh!! that lady swallowed a baby!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7276 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

I think andya or andyone bought a electric buggy off ebay so possibly they will be able to help you.

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1550 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE: bd2068 @ Sep 3 2006, 12:23 PM

I am looking at replacing my wife's ageing powercaddy golf buggy. I have been looking a number of ebay items and was especially interested in any feedback on atomik or greenwell brands

Worst thing is that you can't get replacement parts & or service, for these cheaper units.
The major electric-buggy dealers can't help you out.
Fixing them is a night mare & expensive.
Jon...

#5 andigold

andigold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE: bd2068 @ Sep 3 2006, 12:23 PM

bd2068
I bought an atomik remote control unit off ebay for $395 in early June and for the first month it was a ripper. However the roll pins that go through the axle and ultimately turn the wheels failed. I have now replaced all 4 with ss bolts (after drilling out the axle and putting in a thread) and it has run like a little champ since. I did have to contact atomik to purchase a new clutch as the roll pin had caused damage to 1. The stuff arrived within 3 days and was exactly what i had ordered. All up it has dragged my clubs around for about 15 rounds of golf and I've spent a couple of hours in the workshop on it. I would cautiously recommend them but advise you to change the roll pins immediately.
Andrew

#6 spider1

spider1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE: Veefore @ Sep 3 2006, 01:13 PM

I would suggest buying a name brand and buying local. The chinese import stuff is crap with no back up. Even the higher quality products have problems occasionally and need service and without a local repairer you are up the smelly creek without a means of propulsion. My MGI Navigator has been back twice for repairs, once under warranty and once at my expense. Both were electronics related.

One of the members at my club started importing cheap buggies from China but found on arrival that none of the electronics met Australian Standards and had to be replaced. During the redesign and replacement the electronic engineer who did the job (I played golf with him 3 weeks ago so this is fresh in my memory) found that they were of exceptionally poor quality and said that they weren't likely to last a year.

Couldn't agree more...worked for a company at one stage who sold some of the chinese imports and can't remember one that lasted more than 3 months (they almost always came back for a refund). One had even burnt a customers "cutom made" golf bag when it short circuited.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

#7 chiper

chiper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

I purchased a remote model via e-bay about 4 Months ago, paid $270 + $50 postage from a company in Queensland, it works well & I haven’t had any trouble with it yet…touch wood.

#8 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

I had a Chinese one and ended up selling it as it was useless on any serious hills and very heavy.

MGI (based in Melbourne) have some zero interest plans going so I bought one using a plan and the quality is excellent.

PT

#9 beancounter

beancounter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

I bought an MGI model for my father 3 years ago.
He plays weekly and has not had a problem with it in the 3 years.

#10 grumpy_dog

grumpy_dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

don't use one but am very familar with Walk on Wheels.
http://www.walkonwheels.com.au/

The EzyPlay Cadet is a very good product

MGI also make a very good product

Buying local is so much easier. Especially when dealing with warranty issues.

#11 Chopster

Chopster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:44 PM

Sure it's for the wife... rolleyes.gif I wouldn't own up to wanting one either biggrin.gif

#12 grumpy_dog

grumpy_dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE: Chopster @ Sep 4 2006, 10:44 AM

Sure it's for the wife... rolleyes.gif I wouldn't own up to wanting one either biggrin.gif

i carry my clubs...

#13 Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1143 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

If you're a fat bastard, hopelessly unfit, a chain smoker or have a medical condition that means you're physically incapable of dragging a buggy behind you or lugging a stand bag, then by all means buy an electric one. Otherwise, why?

#14 bd2068

bd2068

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE: Aussie Mark @ Sep 4 2006, 12:22 PM

If you're a fat bastard, hopelessly unfit, a chain smoker or have a medical condition that means you're physically incapable of dragging a buggy behind you or lugging a stand bag, then by all means buy an electric one. Otherwise, why?

... and I thought this forum was anonymous - how did you recognise me?? ph34r.gif

thanks for the comments folks - I guess I'll have to stump up with a bit more $$ and go with a known quality brand!!

#15 serrz

serrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:44 AM

i got one online too...cost me about $200...which was a pretty good deal...

worked really well in the beginning...but...after about 6 months of use the axle broke...i had to get a replacement for it from the seller...who was very helpful...

wouldnt recommend it...mgi seems to have the best reputation and service still...i did learn alot from pully the buggy apart and putting it back again thou!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users