33 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'm off to Noosa soon for some well-deserved R & R.
I should be able to fit 2 or 3 rounds in.

I'm tempted to go and have a look at Hyatt Regency Coolum,
and will also go to Pelican Waters.

Has anyone seen either course recently and if so, what sort of nick are the courses in ?

What other courses do people enjoy playing around the sunshine coast?

MM

#2 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

I had a hit up at Pelican a few weeks back, superb nick as usual.

Coolum varies dramatically and they are one of those places who tend not to let you know they have just cored the greens.

In the Resort course category that leaves Twin Waters and Noosa Springs. Twin is fun to play and none too offensive, I'd give Noosa Springs a wide berth. Typical boring layout.

My favourite course up there is a little local track called Noosa Tewantin, doesn't try to be something its not and is great fun. There is also Peregian Springs, but its perhaps the only course up there I haven't yet played, so by all means, be the Guinea Pig!

If you're prepared to head an hour south, of course you can play the excellent Bribie Island and our resident 69ers new Pacific Harbour.

#3 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

MM
If you don't drive down to play Pac harbour I'll be greatly offended.

#4 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

MM

I too would hope you get down to Pac. Harbour as I would be interested to hear what you think of it ? Bribie Island GC itself is also a good track (a good day out perhaps ?)

As a group of golf courses that I've played in the area my Top 4 Noosa courses certainly push those on the Gold Coast ? ie: The Glades, The Grand, Sanctuary Cove (Pines), Hope Island especially considering 2 of these are private / restricted access !!

Pelican Waters, Hyatt Regency Coolum, Twin Waters certainly are a good mix and I didn't mind Noosa Springs - I thought it was a short and tight + testing layout.

I haven't played Peregian Springs - any here have any thoughts on it ?

An escape from Melb. at this time of year...good call MM smile.gif

#5 smooth

smooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

Perigian Springs is good...

Worth a play though while your in the area. The topography and subsequent routing is quite varied and interesting.

#6 kelp

kelp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

Play Tewantin Noosa if you want value for money, great members course and reasonably priced .

If you want to play resort type courses , Noosa Springs is always in good nick and is a good course worth the money to play.

Hyatt Coolum is great and should be in great nick at this time of the year . Most of the work to the fairways and greens is done in late summer and early autumn , also coring and sanding of the greens is done in spring. Play it this time of the year, it's worth it.

Haven't played Perigian Springs as its members only and hard to get on to .

Pelican Waters and Bribie are too far from Noosa but if you have the time and don't mind the drive , ahhh.

Lots of good courses close to Noosa.

#7 V205

V205

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:14 AM

I'm off to Noosa too at the end of the month for a week. Staying at Noosa Springs. Would luv recommendations to all the 'value' courses hopefully no more than 30-45 mins drive at most?

#8 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:40 AM

V205

Define what you mean by "value" courses ?

Iseek has a DB of all the courses in / around Noosa...

#9 V205

V205

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:32 AM

Value as in good $ vs quality ratio... bang for buck etc. smile.gif

#10 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

Matty, I'm worried about you. Noosa? The future bride deserves so much better!

#11 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

Tewantin Noosa is good value. So is everything average and yet very cheap.

Coolum is really good (and a last chance to play the existing track), and Twin Waters is better than most assume it will be. Pelican looks superficial to me, but gets lauded by some good people, though I've never seen it. Noosa Springs is unworthy in the top company here. Pac Harbour looks very alluring, and Bribie is one of this nation's most underrated club courses. You'd really like it. Matty, now that you've helped reveal Binningup to the world, Bribie may therefore move even further up the list of hidden/underrated gems to the masses.

#12 gregb3

gregb3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

Matt - I haven't played Peregian Springs but had a good look around the course recently - looks like it is in great condition and an interesting layout without being too difficult.

If you can get a game there (I think its members only, but not sure how strict they are on that), I'd say you'll enjoy it.

#13 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

Pelican looks superficial to me, but gets lauded by some good people, though I've never seen it

I kind of agree that it looks a bit superficial, but if you've never seen it? Just from photo's?

Noosa Springs isn't fit to tie Noosa Tewantins shoelaces and will set you back 5 x the green fee.

Bribie is a must play, but is a good 2 hours from Noosa.

#14 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE: Moe @ Jul 15 2006, 10:00 AM

I kind of agree that it looks a bit superficial, but if you've never seen it? Just from photo's?

I said, "it gets lauded by some good people". So I'm not judging the place at all. I haven't seen it so I said "looks" not "is" superficial.

#15 V205

V205

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for in the info so far. If it's not against forum rules, please do post the rough $ amount for playing on your suggested courses.

I'm able to get good discount on Noosa Springs as I'm staying there so I'm likely to have a round there for the convenience.

I've heard of many suggestions to try Coolum and Tewantin. Will look further into them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users